Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad, Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see Volume Two of HAOTW, which covers everything non English.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Tuesday 25 July 2023

London Bees (Women)

London Bees is a women’s football club that was originally formed back in 1975 who are affiliated to Barnet FC. They began life known as District Line Ladies FC prior to merging with Wembley FC in 1993 to become Wembley Ladies FC.

They moved from Vale Farm in 1997, to the Reynolds Field home of Hanwell Town before linking up with Barnet to become part of Barnet Ladies FC, who failed to make a successful bid to become a member of the FA Women's Super League in 2010. 

They joined the competition as members of WSL 2 as the rebranded London Bees after finishing tenth in Women's Premier League in 2012-13. The side ended in bottom place in their new surroundings and gradually improved.

The Bees reached the semi-final of the League Cup in 2016 before losing to Birmingham City Ladies. The team was placed in the rebranded Championship, which was still the second tier in 2018-19 as the calendar reverted to mirror that of men’s competition.

Former England star Rachel Yankey was replaced as manager by Lee Burch before the commencement of the 2019-20 season, which was one that saw the Bees finish fifth with Lauren Pickett topping the scoring charts while Sarah Quantrill starred.

 

Burch was sacked the following season with Sian Osmond taking over, as the team ended in last place and were relegated to the National League Southern Division, as owner of the club Anthony Kleanthous decided to move Tottenham Hotspur Women into the main stadium at The Hive.

The Bees generally played their games on the academy pitch behind the main stand, which had a decent covered stand of its own behind the north goal. The team ended in eighth in 2021-22, which was backed up by a one place lower twelve months later under manager Michael Eardley.

London Bees WFC will play in the FA Women’s National League Southern Division in the 2023-24 season.

My visit

London Bees Women 4 Gillingham Women 0 (Sunday 10th October 2021) FA WNL Southern Premier Division (att: c70) 

A strange one for me to attend. Please let me explain.

I have nothing against women’s football, and I was delighted that it was beginning to make its own mark. I had decided to bite the bullet, while trying to quell my unconscious bias. A lot caused by the media, particularly the BBC, who used it as part of an agenda ramming it down our throats. In my opinion.

My original plan had been Chelsea v Leicester City in the Women Super League at Kingstonian’s and AFC Wimbledon’s old home. However, the night shift had taken its toll on me. When I eventually awoke, I saw that fellow friend and ground hopper Tony Marshall was already in attendance at Barnet FC via the Futbology App.


I took the opportunity of exercise and fresh air on a pleasant autumnal afternoon. A worthwhile adventure. Spectators were limited to the bank behind the goal and the covered seated stand alongside, or behind the net fencing some way from the touchline.

I thought it was a shame for the Bees, who the former Hendon ladies club was snatched by the Barnet regime, to have been shunted onto the back pitch, which had been rotated 90 degrees. The Bees not the first team to feel the ruthless streak of of Mr Kleanthous.

What I got to see was good third tier women’s action, which was most entertaining. Skill levels were decent with a much slower pace than a men’s match. Probably, non-league step 5-7 standard if I had to make a judgement. 

The two veteran linesmen were able to keep up with play. It was apt timing after the previous evening’s England match which was officiated by an all-female team as the ref in this game, Ffion Eade, handled proceedings expertly.

I particularly enjoyed her stopping the game to reprimand the pair of whining visiting male coaches. Both fellas soon stopped. I also welcomed watching a game without posturing, gamesmanship, and players nonstop moaning at the officials as I’d seen at Hendon the day before.

The score line was a bit harsh on the Gills who were in the game until half time, with the score at 1-0. Wide player Megan Meslak was probably their best on show. However, the Bees’ strength and skill were the deciding factor. 

The first two goals were set piece centres delivered by Courtnay Ward-Chambers and headed home by Hannah Porter, the first at the back, the second at the near post. Nikki Jancey fed Jo Wilson who finished neatly to make it 3-0.

The scoring was concluded with a fine goal when Flo Gamby picked out Ward-Chambers whose header back across goal beat keeper Cara Davies. I genuinely enjoyed the game, which had a bonus of free admission and a free online downloadable programme.




No comments: