Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad, Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see Volume Two of HAOTW, which covers everything non English.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Monday 10 May 2021

Seaview

Seaview FC is an amateur football club, from the village of the same on the Isle of Wight, that was formed in 1890, initially playing in a field opposite its current ground off Seagrove Manor Road. The club moved to Holgate Farm in 1935.

The 1950’s saw great success at the club, as Seaview started in Division Four of the Isle of Wight League before winning promotions through to Division One, with a team mainly consisting of village players.

Ryde born Roy Shiner, a former striker at Sheffield Wednesday and Hull City became Seaview manager in the 1960’s as his side were crowned as Isle of Wight League champions on four occasions as well as lifting the Senior Cup in 1968-69.

The trio of Colin Nash, Tony Grimwade and David Winter were prolific scorers during the glory years with others such as # Keith and Trevor Allen as well as Nobby Nash made huge contributions.

Keith Allen went on to play for Luton Town and Plymouth Argyle, with his brother Trevor playing for Southampton and Weymouth. The club lost their old wooden dressing rooms in a fire in 1974.

Cash was raised to replace them with a friendly against Portsmouth prior to Reg Langdon taking over as manager in the 1980’s. His team won promotion back to Division One as Division Two champions in the 1986-87 campaign.


Seaview dropped back down before winning another Division Two title in 1996-97. The team ended as Division Two runners-up in 2013-14 under manager Steve Vanner, who resigned a few months later with Graham Reeve taking over team affairs.

The team’s Division One spell lasted just twelve months before Seaview dropped down to Division Three for the 2015-16 season, where they ended as runners-up in 2016-17 to climb up a level, where the side ended sixth in 2017-18.


A mid table berth ensued in 2018-19 while the following season was annulled owing to the Coronavirus pandemic. Seaview were heading for a similar finish in 2020-21.

Seaview FC will play in the Isle of Wight Saturday League Division Two in the 2021-22 season.


My visit

Tuesday 27th April 2021

After I visited the Isle of Wight in July the previous year, I took more attention of the local league scene. I thought I’d visited the most prominent venues until a blog drew attention to somewhere picturesque worth looking at.


Fed up with the continued rules regarding C-19 and being able to attend football, I decided to head back to the island to take in the match between Shanklin and Vectis in the top level of the competition.

It was a stunning day as the hovercraft dropped me off in Ryde. I had plans in mind before my 6pm kick-off. With my bag dropped in my secure isolated Air B&B accommodation, it was time for a walk.


The Coastal Path took me to the eastern side of Ryde and some very nice areas I was previously unaware of. It continued round against the sea wall taking me to the beautiful little village of Seaview, two and a half miles away.

My timings allowed me to climb the hill and take a look at the Seaview Park ground before taking the number 8 bus towards Sandown via Bembridge. Sadly, nowhere seemed to be open for libation, mores the pity.

 

An elderly lady thought she recognised me. Whatever, it was nice to around friendly folk. It was quite an incline from High Street up to Old Seaview Lane before a signpost directed me to the venue along Seaview Manor Road. A narrow lane led to the entrance off it.

It was a basic little football ground but with an enclosed feel with houses down one side and trees round most of the rest. It offered tantalising views to the ocean, well at least they felt that way in such beautiful weather. Maybe not so much on a stormy winter’s day.

The Seagrove Pavilion was a wonderfully maintained structure. They had certainly done a good job back in 1975. There was also a small cover on the north side of the pitch.

Delighted with both my walk and taking the trouble to visit such a pretty football ground I continued on to catch my bus. Maybe one day I may return. I would love to do a spell on the island seeing matches at each of the dedicated club venues.





No comments: