Monday, 11 May 2020

St Albans City



St Albans City FC
Ground: Clarence Park
Capacity: 5,007
Club Founded: 1908
League: Isthmian League Premier Division - Step 3/7th Tier (current level)

St Albans City FC oozes history and tradition at their pretty town centre Clarence Park home, which has created enough talking points to keep most clubs going for a while.


History of the Saints

Early Years

The Saints, as the club is nicknamed, were formed in 1908, moving into a ground in the splendid Clarence Park, where football had already been played for several years. A previous club, St Albans FC, lasted from 1881 to 1904. The new club won the Spartan League twice before joining the Athenian League in 1920.

The Saints went on to lift the title in their first two seasons, progressing to the Isthmian League, and winning the competition in 1923-24. The team's strength saw them defeat Brentford 5-3 in the FA Cup the following season at Clarence Park. The team collected another couple of league titles before the decade was out.


Agonisingly Close to Wembley

Despite winning county and local cups, runners-up in 1954-55 was as near as City came to regaining the Isthmian League title. At the end of the 60s, the team went out in a replay against Walsall at Fellows Park in the FA Cup second round.

Cup form continued the following season as an excellent run saw the team battle through to the semi-final of the FA Amateur Cup, where they drew 1-1 with Dagenham at The Den, before going down 1-0 in the replay at Kenilworth Road as St Albans fell one step short of a Wembley appearance. 


Tree Denies Promotion

In 1973-74, the Saints were relegated, and despite losing to Torquay United in an FA Cup second-round replay, they were relegated again to the third tier of the Isthmian League in 1982-83. Former St Albans and Fulham forward John Mitchell led the side to league titles as they returned to the Premier Division.

In 1992-93 the Saints finished runners-up. They were denied promotion to the Conference, then the name of non-league's elite division, because of a 140-year-old oak tree. It lived on the terracing behind a goal and was deemed a safety hazard. It was felled five years later.


More Cup Runs

Bristol City beat St Albans in the FA Cup second round in 1996-97. New manager Gary Hill led the side to the FA Trophy semi-final a couple of seasons later, where Forest Green Rovers won the tie. Soon after, t
he club's future was in doubt when debt repayments agreed by previous directors defaulted. 

The Saints were also threatened with expulsion from the Isthmian League until new owners saved the day after a High Court hearing. The club were a founding member of the Conference South in 2004. Two years later they were promoted to the Conference National for the first time after a play-off victory over Histon. 

My drawing of Clarence Park and former team kits.
Click on the image for an enlarged view.


Financial Issues and Ground Move Rumours

Clarence Park was upgraded, although rumours suggested the club may look to move elsewhere. Manager Colin Lippiatt couldn't keep the side up in their first season. Managers came and went before Steve Castle's was appointed. Owner John Gibson faced fan hostility over his tenure and plans for a new home on Green Belt land.

In the summer of 2009, Gibson's company went into administration, but he assured supporters that the club's future was secure. The FA deducted St Albans 10 points and fined them £7,500 for financial irregularities, which transpired to be illegal payments to players during the 2008-09 season. City were relegated.


New Owners and Promotion

On the 12th May 2011, local businessmen Lawrence Levy and John McGowan bought the club from Gibson for an undisclosed fee. Within weeks, Dave Howell replaced Castle. His spell was unsuccessful and was succeeded by joint bosses James Gray and Graham Gold, while the club once again looked into the possibility of moving from Clarence Park.

The 2013-14 season saw Saints regain their Conference South place through play-off victories over Cambridge City and then in front of a full house away to Chesham United. During the 2015-16 season, Ian Allinson was appointed manager, helping secure the club's status.


Allinson led City to three consecutive mid-table finishes and reached the FA Cup first round. After six years in the role, Allinson was sacked in September 2022 to be replaced by former midfielder David Noble. His team reached the play-off final where they lost to Oxford City.

Noble departed for Wealdstone in January 2024, to be replaced by Jon Meakes, who was formerly the assistant boss. Noble returned as manager, lasting just a few months before being replaced by Ian Culverhouse. Despite the change, the Saints were relegated to the Isthmian League. The club appointed Gary McCann as manager in November 2025.


My visits

St Albans City 0 Scarborough 1
FA Trophy Round Two - Saturday 6th February 1982
👨‍👨‍👧‍👧 683


Scarborough had to wait a week or two to find out who their opponents would be, as City had to travel to Dulwich Hamlet for a replay. I told my pals at school I was pretty confident that we'd be heading to South London. It was probably my heart ruling my head. I really wanted to visit the huge Champion Hill ground.

However, City won 4-3, so we were going to Hertfordshire. Actually, I was close to not going. I had been suffering from a chest infection and desperately wanted to play for the school team on the Saturday. My parents were sensible and stood firm. As a 'sweetener',  probably to stop my whining, they booked me a place on the supporters' bus to St Albans.


My first impression was that it was a lovely place. We parked down the side of Clarence Park and walked to the ground. Hockey games were taking place in the park next to the football ground, on what was the cricket ground during the summer. The cricket pavilion looked superb. The rest of the park had plenty of greenery and a large playground.

The ground had terracing around three sides, with the ends curving away behind the goals. The Park Side had a basic cover over the halfway line, while the Railway Side had a lovely old low Main Stand with bench seating along the whole touchline. A clubhouse was located on the roof.


Boro had their usual busload of enthusiastic rowdies, and two official coaches. Under Jim McAnearney's leadership, they were the better side, but they could not break the deadlock. During the first half, a travelling fan, who later became a good friend and travelling companion of mine, appeared on the clubhouse roof with a large Scarborough Union Jack!

The second half followed a similar pattern until Pat Olney pounced to send us home happy. The unofficial bus, AKA Fez's International Tours, named because they'd once gone to Bangor City!, entered legend among those on it when it took part in the 'Battle of Newport Pagnell'. It was more of a bunfight than a battle. According to accounts, fans entered the services and had a food fight while couples and families sat down to their evening meals.

St Albans City 1 Molesey 1
Isthmian League Division Two - Saturday 3rd December 1983
👨‍👨‍👧‍👧 c200

I was at college in Borehamwood, and staying in Radlett, which wasn't very far from St Albans. I wanted to revisit the city after hearing lots of nice things and being impressed on my previous visit.

I took the train a few stops and then went exploring the city centre, where a market was in full swing. I walked to the Cathedral and generally enjoyed the place, grabbing food from a market stall before heading to Clarence Park. The ground was just as I remembered, and even better, there was a super programme shop where I bought some local editions. 


I also went to the clubhouse for a pre-match drink. I stood on the terraces with the home fans who cheered on their team playing in an all-yellow kit. City were going for promotion, whereas their visitors from Surrey were further down the table. A home win was roundly expected, but Molesey spoiled the script by going ahead. 

Well into the second half, some of City's fans grew frustrated. One fan shouted, "I see you've got your IQ on the back of your shirt, number three", to a time-wasting full-back. I found that very amusing at my tender age! City introduced a lanky sub who looked far better than anyone previously on show, called Robbie Smale. 

He created chances which allowed Paul Mayles to equalise. The Saints pressed continually, but a winner wouldn't come. I headed back to the station after thoroughly enjoying my day out. City went on to win the Division Two championship at the end of the season.


St Albans City 1 Dagenham & Redbridge 3
Isthmian League Premier Division - Monday 24th January 2000
👨‍👨‍👧‍👧 1,264

I had returned to London full-time and was staying in Willesden Green. After finishing work at Lord's for the day, I changed, caught the tube to West Hampstead, and took the train to St Albans.

On arrival, I headed to the clubhouse at the ground, trying to remember where the footbridge crossed the railway line. This game promised to be a cracker with The Daggers top of the league and City close behind. They really needed a home win to close the gap.


I had a couple of beers and then went to enjoy the decent atmosphere, with a couple of hundred away fans making the journey. In truth, the game was a bit of a let-down to watch as a neutral, as Gary Hill's team were far the better side. 

Danny Shipp was a real handful up front as Dagenham sealed another victory on their road to the Isthmian League title. One of Clarence Park's attractions is its proximity to the railway station. I made a fast service towards home with several happy Daggers.

St Albans City 3 Margate 3
Conference South - Saturday 20th November 2004
👨‍👨‍👧‍👧 280 🎟️ £8


On the Friday night before this game, I was drinking with my good friend Colm in Lulas in Willesden Green. I had the next day off work, which was also my birthday. I suggested we go somewhere nice for the day, with the promise of some good pubs. He agreed, even when I mentioned the match. 

So we met and caught the bus to Cricklewood station before midday. We were soon heading into St Albans city centre and into O'Neills for our first drink. The lunchtime Premier League game on TV was Manchester United against Charlton Athletic. Ideally, we wanted to watch Celtic v Rangers. Sadly, we couldn't find a pub showing it.

We tried a couple of pubs by the market when we bumped into a City fan and real ale buff who was a real character! We headed down to the fine pub, The Mermaid, where the beer was top drawer. It was busy as England were about to play rugby. We headed down to the ground.


The clubhouse was friendly and met with Colm's approval, showing Soccer Saturday on the TVs as I had a pre-match beer before heading outside. Colm came with me, but retreated after about ten minutes to watch the scores come in. He missed an absolute cracker as both sides went for it hammer and tong. 

Margate had county cricketer Peter Trego in goal, whose skills I later enjoyed on many a summer afternoon while he played for Middlesex. The visitors from the Kent coast started the season with a ten-point deduction owing to a financial transgression, but their performance on the day must have encouraged the handful of fans who'd made the trek north.

During the game, I rang Bunner to tell him where I was, and how I could still picture him appearing on the clubhouse roof! I popped back inside at half-time, where Colm had made himself most comfortable.


After the game, we went back to The Mermaid and another couple of pubs, including the lively Robin Hood near the station, where many locals seemed intent on celebrating my birthday all day! The Wales rugby match seemed to attract many aficionados, as any sporting event does when people have been in the pub all day.

We got the train back. I wasn't tempted to stay out for the Barcelona v Real Madrid game, but young Colm filled his boots. It'd been yet another cracking day in St Albans, at a ground I'd yet to see the home team win in four attempts!

Thursday 23rd June 2009

I had the day off work and wanted some exercise to repair my hamstring, which I'd torn because I lacked fitness and was trying to relive my youth running for a single in a T20 cricket match.

I'd been to Bedford, where I'd overdone things, and then Harpenden. I was determined to get the photos I required from Clarence Park, hobbling or not. Inevitably, the ground was locked, and since Mr Gibson had taken over the club, a huge fence surrounded it. 


I did my best to get some shots from all angles, getting some very strange looks in the process. I even got lost and went the wrong way up to the town centre, and when I got there, I decided I didn't really fancy a beer anyway! At least it was a lovely sunny day.

St Albans City 1 Chelmsford City 1
National League South - Monday 28th December 2015
👨‍👨‍👧‍👧 668 🎟️ £15


I had made arrangements a couple of weeks previously with my good pal Jeff to head to a game on Bank Holiday Monday over Christmas. As I was on night shift, we had to stay relatively local, with Wealdstone v Sutton United our first choice.

When I awoke at lunchtime, that fixture had bitten the dust because of a waterlogged pitch, so we needed a Plan B. Jeff was fine with St Albans, so we rendezvoused at West Hampstead station.


My Network Railcard came up trumps with the return fare coming to just £10.60 for both of us. The fast service took just fourteen minutes. It was time to find a nice pub! Jeff needed to use what was proving to be an elusive cash machine near the station, so we walked up to the town centre. It looked as well as ever. I really liked visiting St Albans. 

We headed to the Blacksmiths Arms, as I’d used it previously while waiting for a bus. The pub served a decent choice of ales and showed the South Africa v England Test match. We enjoyed the excellent Inferno hoppy ale from the Oakham Brewery. We still had time to pop into The Mermaid down Hatfield Road. What a good idea that turned out to be.


The pub was everything a local should be. A good crowd was in the nicely set-out pub, with outdoor areas at the front and back. It had a fine display of old advertising plates on the walls from brewers far and wide, and an advert for live Sixties music on New Year's Eve. The Oakham Citra ale was absolutely spot on. How we yearned for it to be our local!

Admission to Clarence Park was a steep £15, with the programme an additional £2.50. Thankfully, it hadn’t changed since my previous visits. It still had its old charm and terracing, with excellent views slightly set back from the pitch.


The Saints began the game in the relegation zone and in a state of flux. Joint managers James Gray and Graham Gold had tendered their resignations a couple of games earlier, with caretaker Harry Wheeler taking over. The visiting Clarets sat in a mid-table slot and were backed by a good following of around 100 travelling fans. 

Both sets of fans displayed excellent large banners hanging onto the fences behind the goals. The beauty of football at this level was being able to walk right around the ground without any silly segregation being enforced. We went to the far end where most home fans stood as their team attacked.


St Albans didn’t look like a team in trouble. They attacked at will and were just a decent pass away from opening up the Chelmsford defence. The diminutive wide man, Jernade Meade, looked promising, with the big men in the middle creating. Kevin Krans had a fine effort from distance saved by visiting custodian Tim Brown as the home side continued to press, 

Former Premier League player Rufus Brevett watched from the terraces. I bought an uninspiring cheeseburger for £3.10 as we walked round to the clubhouse and bought some Chestnut ale from the Tring Brewery, served in boxes. It was good to see a choice of real ale at £3 a pint. If only all clubs made an effort.


Just before the interval, Jonathan Edwards put the ball in the net for the Saints, but was ruled out for offside. However, the home side were not denied for long as Tom Bender crossed to the back post for Eddie Oshodi to score with a diving header. Edwards came close to making it two, but the teams went in for the break at 1-0.

At the break, we were joined by our old pal Jason from Lord’s. He lived locally and regularly took his boys to games. He’s yet another example of a lifetime fan turning his back on attending Premier League games; Arsenal, in Jason’s case.


Initially, the PA announcer gave the gate as 601, which got a few chuckles from everyone. It was later amended to a more realistic figure. Chelmsford began to gain control as the second half progressed. St Albans keeper Joe Welch pulled off a brilliant save to tip over an effort from Dagasan Graham.

Although the Saints forayed occasionally, it came as no surprise when Chelmsford equalised after seventy-seven minutes. A long throw found Billy Bricknell at the back post, who scored, to the delight of the away fans. We left just before full time to catch the 5.09 train by leaving via the gate by the cricket ground. 


It had been a cracking game, with both sides giving it their all. We agreed that we thought St Albans would stay up if they put in similar displays until the end of the season. Our fun was to continue. I confidently professed that we could get through the park and out the other side. Jeff was not entirely convinced. 

The exit was padlocked with a chain, with a gap between the two gates. Jeff straddled his way over. I had no chance. I had to crawl beneath the chain and through the gap. I got stuck. My pal was not exactly full of sorrow or sympathy as I eventually wriggled through on my hands and knees to the mirth of some passing teenagers.


We made the train, and I was back indoors by 6pm. It had been a quicker journey than visiting many clubs around London. I would guess that we’ll be back, especially for a beer in The Mermaid.

St Albans City 4 Poole Town 0
National League South - Tuesday 6th September 2016
👨‍👨‍👧‍👧 485 🎟️ £15


Roll up for the mystery tour, The Beatles once sang. Well, this was a little bit like that. I’d met my mate Tony for a lift to our intended match, between Hemel Hempstead Town and Gosport Borough. We made good time up the M1 and were all parked up when we got a shock.


There had been a big power cut in the Adeyfield area. The match was postponed, with several fans walking away. I would have been completely stuffed if I had been using public transport, but Tony came up trumps. Fortunately, we arrived early, and he knew the area quite well through work. Off we headed to St Albans.

We managed to park up reasonably close to Clarence Park and get inside just a few minutes after kick-off. Admission was a steep £15, with the overpriced programme £2.50. However, our efforts would be rewarded.


Newly promoted Poole were in third place before kick-off, with City just outside the playoff places. Unfortunately, I missed the opening goal, but my pal told me Josh Hill scored with a fine header.

The skills on show matched the pristine playing surface. Although the visiting Dolphins had their share of play, St Albans doubled their lead ten minutes before the interval through the impressive Louie Theophanous.


Plenty more entertainment followed in the second half. However, it took until twelve minutes from full-time before we saw another goal. The tricky ex-Wealdstone winger Shaun Lucien put in a wonderful low ball, which Theophanous flicked past the visiting keeper.

Just before the end, a fine one-two between Sam Merson, son of the former England star Paul, and Theophanous saw the big fella finish off in style to complete his hat-trick. With five minutes to go, I’d found a young steward who seemed unaware that the gate by the cricket ground normally opened at full time.


A frantic search went on to find the key. Thankfully, they found it by the final whistle, saving several fans a longer walk back around to their cars. Driving back through the lovely old city, it became apparent just how many smart independent pubs there were and how well they seemed to be doing.

Watford U23s 1 Millwall U23s 1
U23 Professional Development League South - Friday 13th December 2019
👨‍👨‍👧‍👧 96 🎟️ £3


The weather was fine and certainly clearer than my mind and mood after the catastrophic General Election results of the previous evening. I was in a state of genuine depression and somewhat shell-shocked.

I desperately needed something to occupy my mind, so I headed to West Hampstead to catch a train to St Albans. There would surely be far worse places to spend a couple of hours than Clarence Park before my evening entertainment of Charlton Athletic and Hull City.


I’d not been to a Watford U-23s game at the ground, so I was very happy to see the gate nearest the station in the park was open. Admission was a reasonable £3. I made my way around the ground to sit in the Main Stand.

My fellow hopping mate and Silver Jubilee regular, Tony, was in situ. He managed to grab me a teamsheet. We settled into position as I watched from the structure for the first time. Despite the pillars and restricted views, it was very homely and kept out the wind.


Tony told me to watch Hornets forward Ryan Cassidy, and he certainly impressed with his movement. He set up an easy chance for Sam Dalby in six minutes to make it 1-0.

It was entertaining fare throughout on a decent playing surface. Millwall came into the game as the half continued. At the interval, I grabbed a bacon roll and a tea from the mobile caravan, which I was slightly surprised to see in operation.


The second half followed a similar pattern to the first. Millwall continued to press for an equaliser and were rewarded late on after substitute forward Harvey Bradbury, the son of former league striker Lee, had come on.

He brought others into the play. George Alexander finished a fine move to get a deserved leveller eleven minutes from time. A visiting fan was perhaps a little over the top in his celebrations. The Lions pressed and came close to winning the match.


At full time, I caught up with Tony and took the train to West Hampstead. I went for a cuppa before visiting my mate Steve Jarvis and my Godson, Oscar. I enjoyed an hour testing my composure in the company of others before heading off to meet my mate Chewy to cheer on the Tigers south of the river. Now that was a proper old school outing!

St Albans City 2 Hendon 0
Friendly - Tuesday 3rd August 2021 
👨‍👨‍👧‍👧 403 🎟️ £8

I was mulling over which game to attend, but with my pal Lee driving, I could get home quickly, ready for the early shift, so this one won the day. The match had been moved earlier from Silver Jubilee Park.

Saints decided tickets had to be bought in advance online or at Clarence Park on Mondays, Wednesdays, or Fridays, with the ground now cashless. They cost £8 for this fixture. No programmes were available, not even online.

Lee picked up Bob and me at Harrow-on-the-Hill, and made good time and secured a decent parking spot. Clarence Park was still a beautiful venue, especially on a pleasant summer evening. Both ends would soon have covers over them, made from scaffolding and corrugated roofs.

The end nearest the station already had its cover erected. They sold real ale straight from the barrel by the side of the main stand from the local 3 Brewers, whose Golden English Ale was spot on. A nice little area especially for drinkers had been created at the side of the pitch.

The clubhouse was also open, along with a bar dispensing lagers up the yon end. The tented concession selling burgers and chips was busy throughout. The club had got a lot right, but would going digital deter walk-ups and the elderly? Charging £16.50 for league games was a bit steep.

Anyway, the pitch was perfect, and both teams contributed in a high-tempo game. The Saints could and probably should have been out of sight by the break. As it was, they led after Romeo Akinola and then Zane Banton put away chances set up by excellent play from Mitchell Weiss and then Akinola.

In between, Liam Brookes had a decent chance to score on a counterattack for the Dons before visiting keeper Fred Burbridge collided nastily with forward Shaun Jeffers outside the box. The custodian was stretchered off.

This was after he had made a couple of top-class saves. Fortunately, it appeared after the game that there was no lasting damage. Credit to both teams' physios and home keeper Michael Johnson, who were at the scene in seconds. Excellent work.


After the break, Hendon were probably the better of the two sides as both Ian and his son Lee Allinson made plenty of substitutions for their charges in this "family derby". Sean Lucien again impressed, forcing Johnson into a fine save.

One of Hendon's subs, Hamza Semakula, made a difference when he came on, breaking through and rounding sub goalie L Gaulthier to tee up Bayley Brown, who saw his effort cleared off the line by Alkeo Bani. Luca Allinson headed over when the rebound returned. Gaulthier then denied Semakula, saving his low shot.


All in all, it was a good workout for both sides. On this particular showing, I expected the Saints to be pushing towards the playoffs. Dons would hopefully be similar, but needed to find a scorer, especially as Joe White was expected to be missing owing to injury for several weeks.


No comments: