Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad, Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see Volume Two of HAOTW, which covers everything non English.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Sunday 10 January 2021

Brading Town

Brading Town FC is a non-league club based in the small town of the same name on the Isle of Wight that were formed in 1871. The team started out playing home matches at Vicarage Field and Beech Grove as they became founder members of the Isle of Wight League in 1898.

The side found themselves playing mainly in the Second Division of the competition, winning its title on several occasions in the 1920’s and 1930’s. Promotion to Division One was won in 1947-48 to herald the beginning of a golden era for the club.

‘The Romans’ were crowned as Isle of Wight League champions in eight consecutive seasons during the 1950’s as well as the side picking up numerous cups to add to the trophy haul. The Vicarage Ground was also purchased in 1958 adding to the success.

All Brading’s players lived locally at the time as a fine camaraderie was built between them and supporters. A couple of decades later Town became members of Division Four of the Hampshire League which kick started further success.


The Romans won three successive promotions before clinching the Division Two title in 1975-76 to reach Division One. The momentum continued with Brading finishing in fourth place in 1977-78 as well as continuing to win local cup competitions.

Town were relegated in 1991-92 after a period of establishment in the top tier, with seventh placed finishes their best return in 1986-87 and 1988-89. Back in Division Two the side ended fourth in 1995-96 before winning promotion as runners-up twelve months later.


Brading marked their return with a fifth and sixth place finish before the top flight changed its title to the Premier Division. Another fifth place was achieved in 1999-00 in an era when Town lost three consecutive Isle of Wight Senior Cup Finals to Newport.

Town struggled on the pitch for a spell after as their manager left taking several players with him. The club made improvements to the Vicarage Ground with their finances being in good order. 2002-03 was a season of struggle prior to finishing bottom of the league in 2003-04.


The club successfully applied for a place in Division 2 of the newly formed Wessex League. The 2004-05 campaign saw Brading win promotion to the Premier Division as well as lifting the Isle of Wight Gold Cup for the first time in thirty years.

The 2006-07 season saw Town finish tenth and establish themselves at that level. The death of a club stalwart in 2008 saw the Vicarage Ground being renamed The Peter Henry Ground in his honour and to remember his dedicated sixty-two years service to the club.

In 2010-11 Brading finished in fourth place in the Wessex League, their highest ever finish, under manager Steve Brougham. Former Romans player Nigel Murray replaced him in November 2011 but couldn’t save the side from relegation at he end of the 2011-12 season.

It was decided that the club should return to the Isle of Wight League as the expense of Wessex League football and travel to the mainland had become too expensive. Long serving clubman Steve Lawton took over as manager.

Brading finished as league runners-up in 2013-14 prior to third place in 2016-17. Lawton’s side pressed for the title but had to settle for runners-up places in 2017-18 and 2018-19, before the null and void 2019-20 season which ended early owing to COVID-19.

Brading Town FC will play in the Isle of Wight League Division 1 in the 2020-21 season.


My visit

Wednesday 22nd July 2020

The precautions and regulations surrounding the Coronavirus pandemic had relaxed, far too early as it transpired, but opportunities opened up for a bit more travel and visiting pubs. It wasn’t easy living alone in London to I decided to try and do something positive.


I’d arrived on the Isle of Wight the previous afternoon and visited the ground of Ryde Saints while having a walk before evening beers. It was a beautiful summers day and I wanted to go for a long walk.

After doing some research online, I came across Brading Town. I could vaguely remember then from thumbing through the pages of my old Non League Annuals in my younger days at a time when they played in the Hampshire and then Wessex League.

The Google Map App came up trumps on my Phone App. I could visit the club at the start of my trek towards the coast. With a day bus ticket purchased from the driver, I boarded the number 2 service from Ryde bus station to the Church stop as we entered Brading.

The journey took around twenty minutes, and I soon found Vicarage Lane with signs advertising the club at the top of the lane. A couple of minutes further down brought me to the ground entrance with a five bar gate at the top of the drive.

I climbed over and took some photos inside, of a very tidy venue with an immaculate if undulating playing surface. It had a couple of covers, with the clubhouse and changing rooms nearest the entrance. The Shanklin to Ryde railway ran behind the far goal.

After grabbing my snaps, I ventured on a long walk along lanes and paths through some stunning scenery and seeing animals all the way to Bembridge Airport. It was the perfect remedy to lift the spirits from an extended stay in London.


My walk continued to Bembridge Fort and Downs through some fields I’m not sure I was meant to be in. Apologies to anyone whose areas I contravened. The coastal path was magnificent all the way to Shanklin.

A bus was taken to Ventnor where I’d hoped to see an advertised cricket game which was apparently moved elsewhere, before returning back to my digs in Ryde to get stuck into fish and chips and then go out by bus for beers in Cowes and Newport.

What a wonderful place the Isle of Wight is!

 

 

 

 

No comments: