Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Sunday 10 May 2020

Newport (IOW)



Newport (Isle of Wight) FC is a non-league football club who represent the Isle of Wight county town of Newport; having been formed on January 27th 1888 and beginning life Well's Field, which would later be renamed Church Litten.

‘The Port’ became founder members of the Isle of Wight League in 1898, going on to become champions in 1907-08 before retaining the title for the next two seasons to make it three in a row.


A further championship was won in 1924-25 leading to a move to the East Division of the Hampshire League; followed by spells in the Central and South sections as the league was restructured.

After being placed in Division One of the competition, Newport lifted the title in the 1929-30 campaign. Hampshire and Isle of Wight Cup triumphs ensued before becoming Hampshire League champions once again in 1932-33.

In 1935-36 the team reached round one of the FA Cup; defeating Yeovil & Petters United before crashing out to 8-0 away  leading amateur side Southall in round two. The Port celebrated their third league title win in 1938-39.


The 1945-46 FA Cup run saw a win over Leyton Orient before a huge 12-0 aggregate defeat in the second round against Aldershot. In 1949-50 Newport won their fourth Hampshire League championship.

The 1950’s was a decade of success at Church Litten. The team were league champions in 1952-53 as well as reaching the first round of the FA Cup; going down against Swindon Town.

The same opponents inflicted another defeat at the same stage of the competition in 1953-54 with the league crown being retained. In 1954-55 Newport lost 4–3 at Hinckley Athletic in the first round of the FA Cup.


A fifth Hampshire League title in ten years arrived in 1956-57. FA Cup first round defeats followed in 1957-58 and 1958-59 to Hereford United and then Shrewsbury Town. However, the run came to an end as the team broke up.

In 1968-69 Newport were relegated to Division Two of the  Hampshire League before winning back their Division One spot in 1970-71 to win back their Division One status. A runners-up spot was followed up by another championship in 1978-79.


The good times were back at the club as further league triumphs came in 1979-80 and 1980-81 before becoming founder members of the Wessex League in 1986. In the summer of 1988 Newport left their town centre home for St Georges Park.

A Wessex League runners-up place in 1989-90 saw the club promoted to the Southern Division of the Southern League. A first FA Cup first round appearance since the 1950’s came in 1994-95 with Aylesbury United leaving the island with a win.


Enfield inflicted defeat at same stage of the competition after a replay in 1995-96. After being transferred to the Eastern Division in 1999, the Port lifted that  title in 2000-01 to win promotion to the Premier Division.

However, the step up proved too steep as Newport were relegated twelve months later. Following the re-organisation of non-league football, the club was placed in into Division One of the Isthmian League in 2004.


A  further move to the Southern League Division One South & West came for the 2006-07 season before Newport dropped back down to the Premier Division of the Wessex League after finishing bottom of the table in 2007-08.

The team generally finished around the mid table with a couple of sixth places the best showings, until relegation to Division One came in 2017-18. Andy Sampson was appointed as team manager for a third spell at the club in May 2018.

Meanwhile, off the pitch, plans were passed for the ground to build a new home ground by the Racecourse roundabout on Fairlee Road; a couple of miles north-east of the town after the owners of St Georges Park wanted to build a retail park on the site.

Beatrice Avenue, East Cowes Victoria Athletic FC
Where Newport played as tenants from the 2019-20 season.

 
Newport (IOW) FC will play in the Wessex League Premier Division in the 2019-20 season.


My visit

Thursday 5th September 2019

My first ever day on the Isle of Wight was going alright. I’d taken a bus from Ryde to visit the Beatrice Avenue temporary home of the Port before a good walk into town. I’d been disappointed that the Westwood Park ground of Cowes Sports was locked up; but never mind.

The scheduled number 1 bus didn’t turn up; meaning a long wait, when two inevitably turned up at once. It was soon apparent as to why the timetable was in a mess as we soon encountered road works.


The journey took far longer than anticipated before another smaller hold up on the outskirts of Newport. I jumped out on St James’ Street so that I could have a look at the town centre; which seemed decent enough to me.

England’s lethargic bowling during the Ashes Test kept me company as I wandered along High Street to the main road at the end, which caused me temporary confusion before I got on the right track for St Georges Way.

It took a further ten minutes before I arrived at the fenced off entrance to the car ark of the football ground. It looked like I was going to be denied any photos opportunity. I don’t give up that easily!


Further up behind one end I saw the new raised level Asda Superstore. I could get into the field between there and the ground by climbing over a wooden fence. My dodgy knee could have done without it, but this was an only chance opportunity.

St Georges Park was a really decent non-league venue; but probably too expansive if truth be told. It had covered terrace over large sections of three sides and large clubhouse and other facilities backing onto a good sized seated stand.

The playing surface looked massive, and was now becoming overgrown. It looked a sad sight; as do any abandoned venues. I carefully retraced my steps through the wild natural bush and scrub.


As I walked back round to the entrance the number 2 bus was approaching. I got on board; just about fitting onto a seat next to a local who wasn’t the most helpful on the top deck in offering me any space.

Despite that I enjoyed the scenery on the ride to Shanklin where I grabbed fish and chips before a siesta at the friendly Victoria Lodge Hotel got me ready for a walk and a few beers on the sea front and in town.

I really liked my first ever visit to the Isle of Wight. Maybe I’d return one day to see some local football action?






No comments: