Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad, Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see Volume Two of HAOTW, which covers everything non English.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Tuesday 6 September 2011

Don Valley Stadium (Sheffield)






Don Valley Stadium was the north of England's premier athletics venue, as well as being home to several sports teams, from its opening in 1991 until it closed in 2013.

The reason for The Don Valley Stadium receiving a page on this blog is because of the Booth's families' demands in terms of rent from Rotherham United FC to stay in their Millmoor home. The club decamped to the DVS at the start of the 2008-09 season while a new site was found and developed back in Rotherham.



 










The Don Valley Stadium was designed by the local council and was built by RM Douglas Construction. It was completed in 1990 in readiness for the 1991 World Student Games at a cost of £29M as part of a complex for sports with a capacity of 25,000.

It had been hoped that Sheffield would win the bid for the 1992 Commonwealth Games but lost out to Manchester. It was also hoped both Sheffield United and Wednesday would move in to an extended 45,000 capacity stadium.

The Don Valley staged American Football, Sheffield Eagles Rugby League matches and concerts as well as numerous athletics meetings until it gave haven to Rotherham United FC. The Millers moved out of the stadium in May 2012 to take up home at their new New York Stadium.




Sadly for the city of Sheffield, it was decided that Don Valley Stadium would be shut down owing to government austerity measures, despite a fight from many local athletes including Olympic gold medalist Jessica Ennis-Hill. Events would be transferred up the road to a smaller arena at Woodbourn Road. Sheffield Eagles announced that they would return to Owlerton Stadium for the 2014 rugby league season.

Demolition started at Don Valley in December 2014

My visit

Wednesday 20th July 2011

I was in South Yorkshire after watching my team Scarborough Athletic play at Goole in a pre season friendly the previous evening. I had been to Millmoor for a look at the old place before taking a bus to Meadowhall. I then caught the Supertram to the Arena/Don Valley Stadium stop.

The Arena had several sponsorship names with an indoor capacity of 13,500. It held the gymnastics at the Student Games before staging concerts, boxing and Sheffield Steelers ice hockey games amongst other events. 



 









Directly ahead across a large square was Ice Sheffield with two Olympic size rinks and a seating capacity of 1,500 which was the training venue for ice hockey and skating.

Sheffield really was blessed with some tremendous facilities which had replaced the old industrial wastelands and I turned left through a lovely parkland walk towards the crowning glory of the complex. It really did remind me of being somewhere like Germany with the tram and superb facilities and landscape.

I got outside the impressive stadium and had to walk all the way around to Worksop Road where the gate was open to the vast car park. There were signs of The Millers' tenancy with signs pointing to the away fans entrance and ground regulation notices. A temporary souvenir stand also stood on the car park. I made my way to the reception as there didn't seem to be any open gates.

 











The lady behind the counter gave me a warm welcome and rang the duty manager when I asked if I could go inside to take some pictures. I had to fill in and sign a disclaimer to say they would not be used for commercial use. Once I'd done that the friendly staff told me to go where I wanted apart from the pitch!

I was sent down the tunnel in the corner which was used as access for setting up events. It immediately became clear that the pitch was several metres below normal ground level to form a natural bowl and to keep the wind out.

A bottom tier of seats ran all the way around the track, which had ten lanes in the home straight. Three quarters of these seats were in the open until the Main Stand side which held 10,000. This had a strange canopy type roof like the one on the Mound Stand at Lord's Cricket Ground. The stand also had an extra deep tier of covered seats and had all the VIP facilities. At each end of this stand was an additional separate block. The one at Meadowhall End was home to away fans. Behind the open end was the Student Games torch and the Sheffield End had a huge electric scoreboard at the back. Only the Main Stand was used for Rotherham United matches.


 










I wandered around taking several shots before going back to the reception to thank the staff. I walked back to the tram stop and within a few minutes my transport arrived to take me out to Hillsborough.

Football in an athletics stadium is not ideal, but the Don Valley was a pretty good venue. I had hoped that the operators, Sheffield International Venues found enough uses to keep the stadium in regular use once The Millers move out, but it was not to be.




No comments: