Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Thursday 1 July 2010

Brigg Town

Brigg Town FC is a non-league football club representing the North Lincolnshire town of the same name. They are one of the oldest clubs in the world, having been formed in 1864. Games were soon held in neighbouring towns with Brigg being a strong team.

Originally playing in magenta and white, the team would turn to black and white stripes from which their nickname of ‘The Zebras’ is derived. It is claimed that they were the first club in the world to use that uniform. The team played their games at the Old Manor House Convent playing fields on Station Road. 

In 1939 Brigg moved to Brocklesby Ox as a member of the Lindsey League before becoming founder members of the Lincolnshire League for the 1948-49 season. In its second season they became league champions, a feat that was repeated in 1953-54. A move to a new ground, The Hawthorns, followed in 1959.

The late sixties saw further titles being claimed in 1968-69 and 1969-70 as Town’s dominance in the competition was laid down. Further championships in 1970-71 and 1971-72 made it four in a row. 1973-74 and 1975-76 made it eight titles, at which point the club looked further afield. 

They joined the Midland League where they were placed in the Premier Division, and soon made their mark. The Zebras lifted the league crown in 1977-78, prior to becoming founder members of the Northern Counties East League, starting out in Division One South in 1982-83. 

The team was relegated to Division Two South in their first season before being placed in Division One Central after the league reorganized in 1984-85. Twelve months later, a runners-up place was rewarded with promotion to the Premier Division. 

Brigg were consistent performers, finishing in fifth place on a couple of occasions before they enjoyed their greatest season in 1995-96. Rossendale United, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Tow Law Town, Guisborough Town, Bedlington Terriers, Trafford and Colliers Row were defeated in the FA Vase.

In the semi-finals against Flixton, the Zebras won 1-0 on aggregate before they defeated Clitheroe 3-0 to win the trophy at Wembley. Nathan Stead was outstanding in the showpiece, while Carl Stead, with two, and Simon Roach scored the goals for the team managed by Ralph ‘Raz’ Clayton.

The team was league runners-up in the final season of the previous millennium, before listing the title in 2000-01. The club could not be promoted as their Hawthorns home did not meet the ground grading requirements.

Town ended as runners-up again in 2001-02 but had the consolation of a tremendous FA Cup run which saw the club appear in the first round proper for the first time. Gretna, Farsley Celtic, and Boston United were among their defeated rivals before Brigg lost 4-1 to Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park. 

but 2002-03 would prove to be another amazing season in the Vase. On this occasion Horden Colliery Welfare, Rushall Olympic, Fleetwood Town, Diss Town, and Bridlington Town were all defeated to set up a semi-final tie with Oadby Town.

Brigg won 3-1 on aggregate, to reach the final against AFC Sudbury. With Wembley being rebuilt, the game was played at Upton Park. Steve Housham and Steve Carter scored the goals for the team skippers by Phil Rowlands, which also ended as league runners-up once again.

A third place finish to the 2003-04 league season saw the club promoted to Division One of the Northern Premier League. Clayton eventually moved on after nearly three decades of service to the club. The team reached the play-offs in 2009-10 but lost their semi-final tie against Rushall Olympic while members of Division One South. 

The 2013-14 campaign saw the side narrowly escape the drop zone but 2014-15 saw a bottom placed finish and a return to the Premier Division of the Northern Counties East League. They went down once again twelve months later to Division One.

The club was in turmoil on and off the pitch. Managers came and went including Mick Gray, Paul Grimes. Scott Hellewell, Michael Jacklin, and Andy Foster. Brigg were relegated to the Lincolnshire League at the end of the 2017-18 season. A few months earlier, they had become a Community Interest Company to try to sort out their issues. 

Promotion was won at the first attempt back to the NCEL Division One. In September 2020 Marcus Newell was appointed as manager in a season curtailed once again to the coronavirus pandemic. He took the side to third place in 2021-22.

In May 2022 Nathan Peat became club manager. His spell with his back-up team was short as they departed within six months to be replaced by Dave Smith. Brett Agnew was appointed as Brigg Town manager in May 2023.

Brigg Town FC will be playing in the Northern Counties East League Division One in the 2023-24 season.


My visit


Brigg Town 0 Grimsby Town 1 (Friday 9th July 2010) Pre Season Friendly (att: 1,010)

The unimpressive and overpriced teamsheet


I was staying in Grimsby for the night before going on to watch Barton Town Old Boys against Scarborough Athletic the following day. A few weeks previously my attention was grabbed when looking through the list of pre season friendlies in the Non League Paper and I saw the Brigg game listed.


I had trouble trying to find a way of attending because of the lack of buses at night from Brigg back to Scunthorpe so I could make my connecting train. Fortunately the Zebras, maybe having a premonition about my pilgrimage, or maybe not, had made the match a 7pm kick off so I could just make it.

The following morning's Grimsby Telegraph back page


I arrived in Brigg in plenty of time, so I went in a pub for a refreshing pint of shandy at The Britannia Inn. It was a really glorious evening, and one that was bound to test out the fitness of the players.

I followed some Grimsby fans up to the ground along a route I wasn't originally going to take. The car park was filling up rapidly and fans were packed to the door in the clubhouse so I decided to go straight inside the ground.

I was charged £6 admission, with a further £1 for a teamsheet, which I though a bit of a liberty before I queued for a can of orange at the overstretched refreshment hut. The teams were
going through their warm up routines and I spotted some familiar faces on the listings. 


The Mariners had former Scarborough favourite Michael Coulson up front, and Brigg had ex Scarborough Athletic midfielder Anthony Bowsley in their ranks.The Hawthorns was a compact but tidy venue. Seats were scarce owing to the large crowd. A seated stand was along one touchline. 

The other side consisted two small stands for seats and standing and a overhang in front of the changing rooms. Owing to the large crowd still arriving, kick off was delayed by about twenty minutes. The game was very competitive with The Zebras giving as good as they got. They stretched their illustrious neighbours on several occasions before Coulson made it 1-0.


At half time Brigg opened their function room behind the clubhouse to get a few extra quid from thirsty spectators. I went back in to watch the second half where the home bench were as good to listen to as in the first period.


Unfortunately owing to the late kick off I had to leave before the end to catch my bus home, but I'd enjoyed my opening game of the campaign. Fortunately, some locals saw me looking a little lost and directed me to the shortest route back to the bus stop.


I caught the bus safely, and had a while to kill in what is generally regarded as the unglamorous town of Scunthorpe. I was shocked to find an excellent pub near the station called the Honest Lawyer to enjoy a couple of pints, before I headed off for the train back to Grimsby with time for a few more nightcaps! 

I was staying in the hotel above Wetherspoon pub, The Yarborough, with their fine ale selection rounding off what had been a top day all in all.






No comments: