Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Tuesday 16 June 2009

Esh Winning





Esh Winning FC represent a small village in the hills of County Durham and play at West Terrace in the nearby village of Waterhouses. Clubs have represented the club for nearly a century, although the current club was founded in 1967. For the first two years of their history they were known as Esh Winning Pineapple. "The Stags" worked their way through local leagues before becoming founder members of the Northern League Second Division in 1982.
















Esh won promotion to the first division of the Northern League in 2009 but were relegated at the end of the 2010-11 season.

Several very average seasons followed, with Esh ending up in twenty second place at the end of the 2013-14 campaign.

Esh Winning FC will play in the Northern League Division Two in the 2014-15 season.


My visit

Esh Winning 1 Scarborough Athletic 2 (Saturday 4th October 2008) FA Vase Round One (att: 241)

Planning for my journey had started some time before the tie when I attended the clash between Esh and Scarborough Athletic in the FA Vase First Round. I rang the clubhouse to find out their result against Team Northumbria in the previous round from my London flat. I had already booked cheap rail tickets to Newcastle for the Thursday before the game to allow me to do some groundhopping. 




The day of the game was greeted with some extremely inclement weather. I had done my wandering for the day and it was time to catch a train for the fifteen minute journey to Durham. I was to meet up with Fred and Tony to grab a lift to the ground as there is no nearby railway station (there is a disused track that runs behind the ground) and the bus service was sporadic to say the least. We had a couple of beers when I eventually found them after going the long way around the extremely picturesque city. We wandered around the cobbled streets in search of a good pub nearby to a bookies to get our bets on. We found hostelries of varying standards while getting drenched before we drove onto to our destination.

Esh Winning seemed a nice enough place even though we heard some of the bored local youngsters could be a pain. We just about got the right narrow turning to the ground. You need to be on your toes as it is easily missed. We were greeted by some friendly home stewards and the sight of the Boro team and supporters bus submerged half way up its wheels in thick mud and the driver couldn't shift it. There wasn't enough fans around to push and it looked like a hopeless task in any case. We expected a towing company to be sent for.

West Terrace must be a beautiful place to visit in good weather. It still looked pretty in the downpour. On entry the near goal has a little flat open standing which is mirrored by the Car Park Side. The top goal had a grass bank behind it which led up into the surrounding moors with a small shelter directly behind the goal. The other side had an unusual looking small seated cantilever stand with a roof that offered practically no protection to the elements. It had to small covers for standing spectators as well as open standing, changing rooms and the clubhouse.

















The clubhouse was doing a roaring trade and continued to do so all day. The refreshments were also good and excellent value. The whole club exuded hospitality. I met up with Karl who was to be my chauffeur on the return journey as i was staying in Scarborough for the weekend. He had already filled his car despite travelling alone to the game, as Phil and Badger saw the impending problems with the coach on which they had arrived on.

It was a great atmosphere, both in the club and ground as Boro's large travelling contingent in a crowd of 241, crammed in under cover behind the goal. The home side went ahead against the much fancied visitors and looked well on course to hang on to the lead until a terrible error from their centre back, saw him send the keeper the wrong way with a beautifully placed (for the Seadogs) header into the bottom corner of the net with about twenty minutes remaining. Within an instant Boro pounced on the opportunity and substitute Danny Gray blasted home a thunderbolt from the edge of the area to send the away following into ecstasy.



















Boro held on to go into the hat for the next round. Esh Winning had been superb hosts. Meanwhile the coach was still stuck and didn't get pulled out of the mud until around 8pm. With my directions to Karl on the way home, I'm amazed it didn't overtake us, but that's another story!




The Boro coach is stuck in the mud.



No comments: