Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Saturday 25 September 2010

Mossley




Mossley AFC, who come from the small town which borders Cheshire, Lancashire and Yorkshire, were originally known as Park Villa FC when they were born in 1903. The club played in local league football, becoming Mossley Juniors in 1904 and then their present title in 1909. “The Lillywhites” moved into their Seel Park home in 1912, having previously performed at Luzley.

Mossley were founder members of the Cheshire County League in 1919. They ambled along in the league, picking up local cups until their best season in 1969-70, when they finished runners up, reached the FA Cup Round One and the quarter finals of the FA Trophy. Election to the Northern Premier League came in 1972.

Towards the end of the decade Mossley became one of the biggest names in non league football. They won the NPL title in 1979 and 1980 and finished runners up for the next three seasons. They also reached the 1980 FA Trophy final where they went down to Dagenham. The club did not apply to reach the newly formed Alliance Premier League (now the Conference). They had a formidable forward line consisting of Leo Skeete, Dave Moore and Ian Smith alongside first Eamonn O'Keefe (sold to Everton) and then Kevan Keelan.

The success ended in 1984 as huge financial problems hit the club, with the team finishing bottom of the league. The ship was steadied before cash became an issue once more, with the club relegated into the North West Counties League in 1995.


















Mossley reached the quarter final of the FA Vase in both 2000 and 2003 before promotion into the NPL First Division followed. In 2006 they won that title and reached the Premier Division. Unfortunately the club went straight back down after one season.

In 2012-13 Mossley AFC will play in the Northern Premier League Division One North.

















My visits

Mossley 2 Scarborough 2 (Saturday 10th January 1981) FA Trophy Round One (att: 1,249)

I went to this game with my Dad on the supporters coaches from Scarborough, a week or so after John Lennon’s assassination. Imagine was never off the radios. We got to Seel Park in good time which enabled the adults to go straight into the clubhouse. As was the norm I wandered around for a look and to see if there were any offers in the club shop. I was soon in the clubhouse myself as I was chased by some locals wearing Man Utd scarves.

It was an absolutely freezing cold day. The pitch was hard and so were the Mossley team. I stood with my Dad and his pals in the paddock in front of the old wooden Main Stand. Open terracing also stood down this side. Opposite was a low covered shelter. One end was open and designated to away fans, while the other had a substantial roof and decent terrace.















Boro centre back Richard Dixey suffered a broken nose, but Boro had plenty of tough guys of their own to back up their seriously hard team mate. Somehow we managed a draw from the game with goals from Harry A Dunn and Pat Olney. All through proceedings there was trouble on the far side by the segregation barriers. Some Boro fans battled with the local police as well. The local fans and trouble makers had also turned out in force.

My pals from school kept close to us and managed to get seats on our more respectable coach on the way home. Mossley rode into Scarborough for the replay and left the Athletic Ground with a 1-0 win.















Tuesday 20th July 2010

I was in Manchester for three days groundhopping and enjoying the sights. I had just been in Ashton under Lyne to visit Ashton United and Curzon Ashton before taking the bus across the moors to Mossley. I soon found Seel Park on Market Street and was happy to see the gates open.

I spoke to a club official and a younger bloke who could well have been the captain or coach. They were curious but happy to see what I was doing. I mentioned my previous visit and the cold. They smiled wryly and said it’s always cold there and that’s their biggest home advantage! The ground still looked fine and similar to what I remembered from years ago, apart from the newish Main Stand. Like many grounds in the area it was very traditional and a credit to the club.
















I was in for a slight surprise after leaving. My good Boro friend Butch had mentioned about a steep hill from the station to the ground. He wasn’t joking! Fortunately I was going downhill and I cut through the gardens of a fine looking hall. The town was built in two parts with Upper and Lower Mossley. The lower part was like a separate village with its own high street.

I had time to kill but I didn’t really want a beer at that stage of the day, so I waited on the extremely Spartan station to wait for the train back to Manchester.



No comments: