Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Wednesday 17 June 2009

Thornaby

Thornaby FC is a non-league football club representing the town of Thornaby-on-Tees, which is located on the south bank of the river Tees a few miles west of Middlesbrough. The club was founded when Stockton Cricket Club's football team was formed in 1980, becoming members of the Wearside League as Stockton FC.

The club was admitted into the Northern League in 1985-86 as they took up residency at Teesdale Park, despite some poor returns in the Wearside League. However, the team was rebuilt and won the Division Two title in 1987-88 with promotion leading to a fifth place in the 1989-90 Division One season.

However, twelve months later the side was relegated, winning the Division Two title at the first attempt to regain their top-level status. Another demotion followed in 1993-94, prior to promotion being secured once again the following season. They retained their Division One status for the next few years.

There was no connection of this club to that of the same name which was a leading light in non-league football until they folded in 1975, and to simplify matters a change of title to Thornaby-on-Tees FC was adopted in 1999.

In 2000 the club became known as Thornaby FC, which some consider to be their actual formation. Promotion to Division One was achieved in 2000-01, but the step up was once again too steep and saw The Blues relegated in 2001-02.

The end of the 2005-06 season saw Thornaby relegated despite finishing in seventeenth place, owing to the poor condition of the facilities at Teesdale Park. Ray Morton arrived as manager to help the club in operation on and off the pitch, as constant attacks from vandals continually hampered their progress.

Neil Radigan was installed as manager in September 2012, who was succeeded by Paul Edwards in May 2014. Work behind the scenes saw Teesdale Park secured with a new security fence and benefit from National Lottery grants which saw community assets added to its widescale development thanks in part to the work of Ray Morton.

Schools used the facility on a regular basis, while communities also benefitted at the venue, which saw an upgrade to its floodlights, as well as new changing rooms, while the club won an award from the Northern League for its hospitality.

Mark Harkin, and then Paul Burton had spells in charge of the team in 2016-17, before Steve Bell took over the reins. Craig Haley took over from him, as the Blues were relegated at the end of the 2022-23 season, but much worse was to follow.

On 26th June 2023, a suspected arson attack in the early hours of the morning destroyed the clubhouse, a beer garden, a community facility, the stand, and most of the club’s ground maintenance equipment.

Residents and local organisations rallied round to support the club, including Middlesbrough FC as money was raised to make repairs and install new structures. Meanwhile, Dean  Browne stepped up from his coaching role to become team manager.

My visit

Thornaby 0 Scarborough Athletic 2 (Wednesday 9th January 2008) North Riding Senior Cup



I had taken an early cheap train from Kings Cross to Darlington on the day of the game. My plan was to go groundhopping for the day before going onto the match. I'd been to see the remains of Feethams as well as the home of Darlington Railway Athletic before other venues around Teesside.

It has been a very cold day and I was tired as I alighted at Thornaby station after enjoying a couple of pints in Middlesbrough, where I made the wise decision to acquire some long johns such was the severity of the temperature.

I walked through the terraced streets of the town before locating Teesdale Park which is located beside a golf course and behind a huge retail outlet that was once the location of Teesside Park racecourse. I followed the dark path towards where I presumed the ground was. 


A building in the distance appeared with lights on and I presumed it may be the clubhouse. Sadly it wasn't and was occupied by squatters so I trudged on. I eventually saw a light up the rutted track belonging to a car by the grounds entrance. The gateman kindly sold me a programme but gave me the bad news that there was no clubhouse at the ground. 

At this point my lift home, Jamie arrived after a days work in the area. He decided it was best that we drove to the nearest pub, The Roundel, which doubled up as the clubs base for hospitality after games. We rang Fred who was on his way so he didn't drive straight to the ground.

We arrived back at the ground ready for kick off for the cup tie. There were around a hundred travelling Seadogs in attendance in the gate of 124. I liked the ground in a strange kind of way. It was in a mess but had potential with a makeover. The perimeter fences had many gaps in it. 

The Main Stand was a cosy old construction with wooden slated seats on the steps. The bank opposite showed signs that it was once a full length reasonable sized terracing before the grass grew over it. On top of the bank was a large car park. Because of the weather some drivers parked up facing the pitch and watched the game from the warmth of their vehicles. 


The end nearest the entrance had a decent length cover behind it while the far end had one block of terracing about fifteen yards in length behind the goal. The steps were in a sorry state and should really have been cordoned off on safety grounds but offered a great view.

Boro won the game comfortably enough 2-0. It was a decent enough evening out. There was a nice atmosphere amongst the Scarborough Athletic fans. Since the formation of the club, the equal members generally spoke to everyone with a feeling of togetherness that was never really in evidence at the old club. 

I stood and chatted with a mixture of fans including our excellent Chairman, Simon Cope and other board members who stand alongside the other rank and file Seadogs. We chatted with the Thornaby secretary who explained just how difficult it was to keep the club going. They were having severe problems with local youths causing vandalism at the ground. 

Before every game they need to remove the perimeter pitch advertising boards, the goals and seats from the stand to prevent damage. The stand had previously been fitted out with plastic bucket seats before the local miscreants had destroyed them. Used needles and bottles of alcohol had to be removed every game and training session. 


It really was a labour of love. In contrast the gaggle of young lads behind the goal who'd obviously never seen many away fans before were good kids. The staff in the catering bar under the terrace were top drawer. One set off on a push bike to the off license for some more milk as they under estimated the custom they were receiving. 

I bought a meat pie and a bovril for the absolute bargain of £1.50. I'm all in favour of not ripping fans off but they really ought to have been charging more than that. I really enjoyed the experience. I hoped that the people of the area would give the club a chance and support the excellent folk carrying out a near impossible task.

Jamie took me back to Scarborough after the match. I stayed with my parents over the weekend and got to another Boro match before I attended the funeral of Nick Groombridge, a lovely man and friend who I went to see Hull City with many times.



No comments: