Monday, 11 May 2020

Waltham Abbey



Waltham Abbey FC
Ground: Capershotts
Capacity: 3,500
Club Founded: 1944
League: Southern League Division One Central - Step 4/8th Tier (current level)

Waltham Abbey FC is one of several clubs in and around the M25 of the capital who have capitalised on non-league's restructuring to play at a higher level of football and improve their facilities in recent years.



Club History

The Early years

Waltham Abbey FC, from the picturesque market town of the same name, around fifteen miles north of London, originally consisted of former players from Tottenham Hotspur juniors and Waltham Abbey Youth Club, who had used the Capershotts group during World War II.

The side reached a decent level in local football and reached three Herts Junior Cup finals. Waltham Abbey United emerged in the late 60s as a new clubhouse was built at Capershotts. In 1974, the club merged with Beechfield Sports, adopting their current name a couple of years later.

The Abbey church in the pretty town centre


Progression Through the Leagues

The 'Abbotts' gained senior status and reached the premier division of the Essex Intermediate League within a year. Floodlights were installed in 1990, and the pitch was levelled as Abbey moved across to the Essex and Herts Border Combination in 2001 to allow them to progress up the non-league pyramid. They were elected to the Essex Senior League a year later. 

The team won promotion to the Isthmian League Division One North in 2005-06 before going on to reach the Premier Division three seasons later following a playoff final victory over Concord Rangers.

Mark Stimpson became the Abbots team boss in May 2018, as the club was placed in Division One South Central of the Southern League after being relegated. Billy Holland was next in charge of the team, taking them to the playoff final in 2023-24, which ended in defeat to Bedford Town. 

The playoffs were reached once more in the following season, when Bury Town ended dreams of promotion in the semi-final. As an Isthmian League North Division side, Abbey lost their playoff semi-final to Stanway Rovers in 2025-26 before they were given a lateral move back to Division One Central of the Southern League.

Marc Weatherstone was appointed manager ahead of the 2026-27 campaign.

My visits

Friday 11th January 2008

I had been home for a few days at Christmas, and my team, Scarborough Athletic, had run a fundraising raffle. Two of the prize winners lived in North East London, so I helped save the club cash by volunteering to hand-deliver the prizes. This also allowed me to take in a couple of grounds and take photos.

After calling in at Cheshunt FC, I took the long walk to Waltham Abbey. It was much further than I anticipated, but it kept me fit!


The ground was locked, but there was plenty of scope to take photos, some from the adjoining sloping cemetery. The changing rooms were behind the goal at the Sewardstone Road End with some additional cover and a few rows of terracing. 

A seated stand was on the far side, nearest to the M25, fully kitted out with sky-blue tip-up seats obtained from Maine Road in Manchester. The rest of the ground was open to the elements, consisting of grass and hard standing. The clubhouse was outside the ground across the car park.


I wandered off, using my common sense, and took buses to Waltham Cross and Enfield to drop off the prizes.

Waltham Abbey 1 Heybridge Swifts 2
Isthmian League Division One North - Monday 29th August 2011
👨‍👨‍👧‍👧 101 🎟️ £8

I had an early finish at work, so I gave the Non-League Paper some serious attention in choosing my game. After plenty of travel research and checking availability, I decided Waltham Abbey was a good option, as I want to eventually see games at the grounds I'd visited for photos. 

It looked like a tricky journey for a midweek game, when I mainly go to games as a neutral. I took the tube after work across to Liverpool Street, where I had some time to wait before my train to Waltham Cross. 


I was cheered after ringing my dad to hear he was going to the Scarborough Athletic v Long Eaton United game. I fancied our boys to win, and I wanted him to see the new look side. I was at my destination at just past 2pm.

I was armed with a list of buses that ran to Waltham Abbey from the station. The stop was out of service, but the company advised customers to take the short walk to the bus station. I was frustrated on arrival that only one of the five possible services ran on Bank Holidays. 


I saw an old boy waiting, and he told me a bus was due. I checked the timetable for confirmation. The next bus was leaving in twenty minutes, which he confirmed. I got too used to the regular London services. I reckoned I could walk to Waltham Abbey faster than the bus would arrive, so I set off.

Sure enough, I was in the town centre in twenty minutes, and I hadn't seen any buses. The walk was pleasant enough, taking me past the Olympic canoeing venue, the Lea canal, and into the county of Essex from Hertfordshire. Capershotts was a further ten minutes down Sewardstone Road.


The first signs were promising as the car park looked fairly busy. I paid my admission fee plus £2 for a programme and went inside. Immediately, the main differences between most grounds at steps four and five became apparent. 

There was music playing pre-match and an audible PA system, and the ground had good catering. I settled for a burger and a tea, which I must say were first-class, as was the friendly service, in the cover behind the goal. It had a few wooden slats bolted onto the top step, so it was comfortable to sit down.


The ground was pretty similar to my previous visit, but an additional cover had been added further up the side from the seated stand. It was a basic construction with the stanchions being scaffolding poles, but it added extra welcome cover no doubt needed when The Abbotts had a spell in the Premier Division.

Someone at Abbey obviously had a sense of humour as the teams came out to the music normally associated with a circus. It made me smile. A visiting Swifts fan soon used it as ammo when berating the referee over a debatable decision.


I went for a walk around the ground as I watched a competitive game with both sides threatening without either having any goal attempts. Heybridge took the lead through a mix-up in the Abbey rearguard before I settled behind the goal. 

I had a chat with a local as an amazing long-range shot put the visitors two up. It was agreed it was a little generous for Swifts to be two up, but you have to convert chances to win a game, and they did that with aplomb.


Almost immediately, Abbey found a way back into the match with a fine curling free kick that found the bottom corner of the net. I could see more goals following in the second half when I adjourned to a reasonably busy clubhouse at half-time, which had attracted all-day customers on their day off.

The second half was scrappier but gradually settled down. Abbey missed an easy chance before Swifts squandered three in rapid succession at the other end. The game was getting niggly. Abbey had a small forward who was like a Jack Russell snapping at the defender's heels. 


The defenders thought he was fouling quite a lot, and I sympathised. He was penalised, but a defender stood on his leg and was quite rightly sent off for stupidity and violent conduct as he got to his feet after winning the free kick.

Both sides made changes, and Abbey made many half-chances, but they weren't getting much fortune. The visitors' keeper made a fine save near the end, which left just enough time for a home player to see red mist and a card of the same colour as Swifts sent their away following home in jubilant mood.


The two players weren't the only ones to see red. My text updates had revealed Boro had somehow contrived to lose 3-1 at home. I was not happy to say the least, especially after my good mate Fred gave me an honest assessment of proceedings.

I had a while before my train, but I didn't bother with a pint as I'd originally intended. Instead, I had the leisurely walk back to Waltham Cross station before heading home. 
I enjoyed the game and my afternoon out, but unfortunately, my own team put a huge damper on it. That's football!



  

No comments: