Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Saturday 20 June 2009

Sutton United


Sutton United is a professional on-league football club based in Surrey, eleven miles south west from the centre of London. The club were formed on 5th March 1898 after an amalgamation of Sutton Guild Rovers FC and Sutton Association FC.

Since 1911 the club have played their home games at The Borough Sports Ground in Gander Green Road. Sutton adopted their unique club colours of amber & chocolate after it was discovered that purchasing club caps in the planned claret & gold was too expensive.


Following three decades of competing in junior and local football, United joined the Athenian League for the 1921-22 season, becoming champions in 1927-28. Once peace was restored after the War, the U’s added a second title in 1945-46.

A third title followed in 1957-58, as Sutton were becoming a renowned name in amateur football. They reached the final of the FA Amateur Cup at Wembley Stadium in 1963, going down 4-2 to neighbours Wimbledon. The following year United joined the Isthmian League, goin on to lift the league title in 1966-67.


In 1968 they reached the last four of the competition, but missed out on a trip to the national stadium after Leytonstone came out on top in a replay at Griffin Park, Brentford. However, the U’s reached Wembley once again the following year. On that occasion they were defeated 2-1 by North Shields.

The 1969-70 season saw United embark on an epic FA Cup run. Dagenham, Barnet and then Hillingdon Borough were all defeated to set up a fourth round clash at Gander Green Lane against the might of Leeds United. The Yorkshiremen came away 6-0 winners in front of a 14,000 sell out crowd.


Sutton continued to ply their trade in the top division of the Isthmian League throughout the 1970’s. In 1981 the club returned to Wembley for a third appearance, before losing 1-0 to Bishops Stortford in the FA Trophy final.

Throughout the 80’s the club pushed on, winning the Isthmian League in 1984-85 but were denied promotion to to the Football Conference, as the National League was then known because Gander Green Lane didn’t meet the criteria of the ground graders. However, United retained the crown in 1985-86 to win promotion.


The 1987-88 campaign saw another fantastic cup run which saw the U’s reaching the third round before being eliminated by Middlesbrough in a replay at Ayresome Park. This run obviously whetted the appetite of the United players as they went one better the following season.

Barrie Williams team knocked out Walton & Hersham, Dagenham and Aylesbury United to set up a home tie with recent Cup winners; Coventry City. Sutton won a famous tie 2-1 in front of the Match of the Day cameras with goals from skipper Tony Rains and Matthew Hanlan.


The fourth round draw saw Sutton travel to Carrow Road to face Norwich City. The dream ended with an 8-0 defeat. To see highlights from a remarkable day, click here and here.

United were relegated back to the Isthmian League for the 1991-92 season, before reaching the semi-final of the FA Trophy the following season. A 6-3 aggregate defeat to Wycombe Wanderers put pay to another Wembley appearance.


In 1998-99 Sutton lifted their fourth Isthmian League title and won promotion back to the top flight on non-league football under former player John Rains. In their first season back in the Conference, they reached the last four of the FA Trophy once again. This time it was Kingstonian who extinguished the dreams of a first Wembley win.

However, United were relegated back to the Isthmian League once again in 2000. After a runners-up spot in 2003-04, the U’s were placed in the newly formed Conference South for the following season.


After finishing bottom of the table in 2007-08 as several managers came and went to try and retain the clubs’ status, Sutton became members of the Isthmian League once again under Paul Doswell. In their first season back in familiar surroundings, United lost in the play-off semi-final to Staines Town.

Further agonies followed in 2009-10 as Kingstonian defeated the team in the play-off semi-final. After a spell of four seasons, promotion was clinched at the end of the 2010-11 campaign as the U's won the championship.


Their new environs obviously didn't daunt the club, as they marched all the way to the play off semi finals, where they were defeated by Welling United in 2011-12.The 2013-14 campaign saw United finish in second place under the management of Paul Doswell, but once again they lost out in the semi finals of the play offs; this time to Dover Athletic.

After a disappointing follow up season a new 4G artificial pitch was laid at Gander Green Lane, as Doswell took the team to the 2015-16 Conference South title, and a return to the top flight National League.


United had a steady league start back up in the top flight, but they surpassed themselves in the FA Cup. Forest Green Rovers, Dartford and Cheltenham Town were defeated before AFC Wimbledon were beaten in a third round replay at Kingsmeadow.

In the fourth round Leeds United returned to Gander Green Lane in front of the live TV cameras. This time they made the error of resting several first team players. Sutton took full advantage and deservedly won 1-0 with Jamie Collins firing in the winner from the penalty spot.

United’s reward was a fifth round home tie with Arsenal, which was once again chosen for live TV. The team continued to improve in the league; going on to reach the play-offs in 2017-18 where they went down to Boreham Wood.


In March 2019 manager Doswell resigned after previously taking a short break to end a tremendous tenure of eleven years at the helm. Matt Gray was appointed as the new manager in May 2019. United were in fifteenth place in 2019-20 when points per game ended the season early owing to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

The goals of Isaac Olaofe helped Gray’s team lift the National League title in 2020-21 to achieve Football League status for the first time in the club history. The team narrowly missed out on the League Two playoffs in 2021-22.

A midtable season finished before United eventually dropped back down to the National League at the end of the 2023-24 campaign. It was one in which Gray was replaced by Steve Morison halfway through, but his team couldn’t close the gap on those around them.

Sutton United FC will play in the National League in the 2024-25 season.

My visits

April 1984

My first time at Gander Green Lane was during a days groundhopping when I bunked off an ever increasingly tough day while at college in 1983 to do some immensely enjoyable groundhopping. The ground in those days had a cinder running track running all the way around it meaning the view from behind the goals was quite a distance away. 


It had an impressive raised Main Stand with around 800 seats with dressing rooms and clubhouse underneath. A few steps of open terracing continued either side and round the goal at the Gander Green Road End. 

Banked hard standing was at the Collingwood Road End. The other side of the pitch had two small wooden stands with seats inside. It wasn't ideal with a track around it but it wasn't as wide as some to minimise the distance from the pitch for fans.

Sutton United 1 Scarborough 2 (Thursday 20th April 2000) Football Conference (att: 463)


My first game there was the day before Good Friday in 2000. I travelled down from work at Lord's knowing I had to be back again early the next morning for the Middlesex v Surrey Benson & Hedges Cup clash. It had been raining most of the day and to my joy I received a phone call when enjoying my first pint in the clubhouse to say the game was being moved to Southgate and I had the day off. 

This led to quite a jolly evening as the two Simon's and Liz turned up ready to cheer on Scarborough. Sutton were bottom of the Conference and Boro led easily 2-0 at half time. We were treated to watching a ladies darts game in the club at half time before seeing Boro hang on 2-1.


By now the ground had been upgraded. A basic covered terrace had replaced the two old stands and a cover had been erected at the Gander Green Road End where the barrier had been squared off and brought forward so it a lot nearer to the goal. The grounds capacity is 8,000.

We went on drinking in Wimbledon to celebrate and I ventured to the cricket the next day at Southgate. The only action I saw was Justin Langer warming up as the ground was too soaked for the game to start.


Thursday 16th November 2006

I returned to take some photos at the ground in November 2006. Again I used the adjacent West Sutton railway station and considered having a beer in The Plough pub opposite the stadium entrance.

I couldn't gain access inside the ground so I clambered around the perimeter looking for places to get some decent shots, badly grazing a leg on bushes in the process.

Sutton United 1 Boreham Wood 3 (Monday 25th August 2014) Conference South (Att: 440)


Bank Holiday Monday’s are handy for me to get to games when I find myself working until lunch. I was hoping to meet up with my brother Paul but he was busy for a forthcoming trip to work in Norway. I was delighted that things were going his way.

I wanted to go somewhere where I wouldn’t get soaked as the weather was foul. I took the tube down to Victoria before jumping aboard a couple of trains to West Sutton. Job done!


It had been far too long since my previous matchday visit to Gander Green Lane. I paid my £12 admission and a further couple of quid for a programme. The helpful staff and volunteers pointed me in the direction of the bar, which was accessed via the player’s tunnel under the stand

The bar was warm and vibrant, and had four ales on hand pump, much to my delight. I settled with my beer to watch the live Forest Green Rovers v Bristol Rovers game on the TV’s while perusing my programme. The bar also had a food serving hatch which also served those outside. The whole place had the air of activity and plenty of regular custom.


Our way to the terracing was delayed until the players entered the pitch. The fans followed them out! I decided to have a walk around to get some snaps. 

Gander Green Lane really was an impressive arena despite once having a track around it. The far end had also been squared off since my last visit, with a new cover and terrace installed during the summer of 2014.



Unfortunately he game didn't quite match the surroundings. It was good quality and high tempo but shots on target were at a premium. The first period ended scoreless. The pie from the far side of the ground was OK if a little unspectacular. Further shelter and refreshment was taken on board in the bar at the break.

It looked like we were heading to a scoreless draw, which would have been about fair when Sutton went 1-0 up with sixteen minutes remaining courtesy of a Louis John header. Their front man spurned a one on one shortly after and it proved costly.


Boreham Wood levelled up when a set piece was poorly defended, leading to Josh Hill heading home. Two cracking finishes from Austin Lipman and then Lee Angol sealed their victory to the delight of around twenty away fans behind the net and a loud contingent in the director’s box.

Both sides had looked solid enough but Sutton needed more fire power on the evidence on show. I predicted a mid table finish for both sides, but I’ve often been wrong. See Mr Paddy Power for details!


I’d enjoyed the visit. Gander Green Lane provided a nearby station, a proper old school stand with bar with cask ale, a good club shop, three catering outlets, plentiful terracing and cover on all four sides. What's not to like?

The train back to Sutton arrived just after 5pm, and from there it was back to a packed Victoria.


To round off a top day personally Scarborough Athletic won 4-0 away at Brighouse and I bought a replacement laminator I use to make the clubs Joint Owners Cards for just a tenner. Old Trafford got in touch to say our room in the Lodge at the Roses Match had been upgraded to one with a balcony overlooking the ground. Happy days!

Sutton United 1 Bromley 2 (Conference South) Tuesday 3rd March 2015 (att: 529)

Finding myself on a course training us to be ‘Fit for the Future’ with work down at West Kensington gave me several options for my evening’s entertainment; and did I need some!

In the end I ended up calling Tony Foster, my West Ham supporting pal, who was heading to Gander Green Lane and arranged to meet him.


Even though I’d been earlier in the season and I prefer different venues where possible, I really enjoyed my visit there. I took the District line down to Wimbledon where I alighted and called into The Alexandra, which was run by an old pal; Mick Dore. Mick wasn’t about, but the beer was first class in a nice establishment.

Tony’s trains were playing up so I arranged to meet him in the clubhouse at the ground. I tried a pint of ale from the Belhaven Brewery but it really wasn’t my cup of tea so I went on the lager when my pal arrived.


The match was re-arranged as the pitch was unplayable on the originally scheduled date, so the same programme was used with an up to date insert inside. We paid the £12 admission and ventured round to the covered terrace on the far side. A late tea came in the form of a hot dog and Bovril to keep out the cold on a late wintry evening.

Bromley were backed by a decent sized support, but it was the hosts who looked the far better side in the first period. They took the lead just before the half hour mark when Alan Julian spilled the ball and Berndette Gomis followed up to score. Julian hardly inspired confidence in his team throughout the evening.



At half time we decided to take up a position high in the Main Stand out of the wind. League leaders Bromley came out with more purpose after the break but Sutton almost extended their lead before the visiting Ravens had a stone wall penalty claim turned away.

Gradually they got control of the battle and drew level on seventy minutes as Jamie Slabber pounced on an error from United custodian Aaron Howe to stab the ball home.


The momentum continued. Bromley had another penalty claim waved away before they won the game with just four minutes remaining as a corner hit Slabber in the stomach and rolled over the line.

Another two efforts nearly sealed the victory and give the score an unbalanced look. Mickey Spillane nearly equalised with a shot, but the Kent side hung on for victory.


Following the game Tony and I caught a train to Wimbledon before changing to a service to Clapham Junction. We changed once more and caught the London Overground to Willesden Junction for one final change. I alighted at Wembley Central and caught the bus home to be back in my flat around 11pm.

Sutton United 1 Tranmere Rovers 0 (Saturday 17th September 2016) National League (att: 1,680)


The decision from BT Sports to move this fixture to a 12.15 kick off worked superbly well for me as I wanted to attend Hendon’s FA Cup tie at Dulwich Hamlet later that afternoon. My calculations showed it could be done as long as I left bang on ninety minutes from Gander Green Lane.


The Thameslink train had a group of particularly foul mouthed visiting fans, although they didn’t create any other menace. I wasn’t interested in any pre match beers, so I arrived in decent time to grab something to eat.

Admission cost £15, with the not too impressive programme a further £2.50. Sutton’s gates had been boosted by selling cheap season tickets. Many new fans had taken the club up on the offer.


Rovers were followed in excellent numbers, especially for a lunch time kick off, but it’s fair to say that they were not impressed by their side or manager Gary Brabbin. Danny Fitchett had a goal chalked off for offside on the half hour mark, but there was nothing else of real note in a tight first period.

Fitchett put United ahead a couple of minutes after the restart when he pounced on a knock down from Maxime Biamou.


Any further chances were few and far between until I departed. Sutton looked a very solid outfit once again under manager Paul Doswell. Tranmere’s run without a win was extended to four games. The chants of “Brabbin Out” were clearly audible from the platform of West Sutton station where I awaited the train to steer me towards Dulwich.

Padania 6 Matabeleland 1 (Thursday 31st May 2018) CONIFA World Football Cup Group C (att: c250)
It was the opening day of a tournament that had got increasing attention thanks to the sponsorship from betting company Paddy Power. I’d followed some of the lead up in the media and was eager to take a look; especially as I was on night shift.

CONIFA is an independent international governing body whose members represent countries, minorities, linguistic minorities or remote territories that were not members of FIFA. Yorkshire had recently joined, but not in time for the 2018 tournament.


Three games kicked off at midday, but that was a bit early for me. I aimed for the 3pm matches; with other choices being Northern Cyrus v Karpatalya at Enfield Town or Panjab v Kabylia at Slough Town.

In the end I chose my match, partly through logistics and partly because Matabeleland had trained prior to the event at Silver Jubilee Park; my regular haunt for Hendon and Edgware Town home games. I thought they deserved some support.


My journey took me by tube and then rail to West Sutton via Wimbledon. Admission on the day was £12; and increase on £1 to buying in advance online. The programme was a fiver, but decent value as it was packed full of information.

A reasonable crowd had assembled on a humid afternoon. I listened as Ian Abrahams was on the radio interviewing Bruce Grobbelaar. Just a minute or so later I was stood next to the former Liverpool keeper, who looked in good health as a coach to Matabeleland.


Ellan Vannin, better known as the Isle of Man and Cascadia of Canada had taken place in the earlier game, and both teams were spread out in the stand, while there seemed to plenty of Zimbabwean support for Matabeleland. It would soon become apparent that the locals had adopted them too.

Padania were representing an area in northern Italy, with twice Lithuanian player of the year and former Sampdoria, Valencia, Brescia, Lazio and Sevilla defender Marius Stankevičius in their ranks. It was immediately apparent that they had a larger physical presence than their opponents.


The team anthems were a bit of a shambles to be honest. They sounded like they’d been recorded through a sock using one of those old tape recorders you felt so proud to have in the late 70’s. Even so, they received polite applause.

The match kicked off late after the formalities, with both clubs wearing outstanding kits. Some fans were wearing white, amber and black Matabeleland shirts, that the touring party seemed to be selling.


Padania immediately looked well organised and calm on the ball, while Matabeleland showed lots of skill and frenetic passing. If you hadn’t a clue of the origins of both sides, they gave plenty of clues in their traditional characteristics.

It was the Italians who went ahead on ten minutes with a fine goal as a cross was fizzed into the box and volleyed past keeper Notice Dube by Giacomo Innocenti. A defensive lapse shortly after at the other end nearly gave the Africans an equaliser.


A long throw into the Matabeleland box caused chaos half way through the opening period. Dube was not offering me 100% confidence, as Padania took control. Indeed, the keeper made a real hash of a through ball leading to Gabriele Piantoni missing an open goal after being set off.

The young African defence was guilty of ball watching on several occasions. A quick throw released a Padania forward, who lobbed narrowly over. I sensed that a rout could be about to take place if Matabeleland weren’t careful.


However, they were decent going forward and caused a couple of minutes of pressure up the other end. Mthulisi Mbizo brought the best out of keeper Marco Murriero. They just lacked a little composure and strength.

I was really enjoying a fine display from Padania midfielder Gianluca Rolandone, who controlled the game with neat passing and movement. His ball retention was first class. Meanwhile, Matabeleland were doing OK, until six minutes before the break saw the game disappear.

Piantoni made up for his earlier miss as he fired in a rebound after an initial save to double the lead. It was 3-0 a couple of minutes later, as the same player fired in off the underside of the bar from Michele Bonfanti’s low cross to finish off a lovely move.

Padania ensured a 4-0 half time lead when some frankly awful defending allowed Innocenti all the time in the world at the back post to collect a cross and slot home.


It was obviously going to be a long way back for Matabeleland, but they were aided when Padania rested Rolandone for the second half. His absence definitely made a difference after the restart as the Zimbabweans got a foothold on proceedings.

Sipho Mlalazi fired a shot just over the bar as his side gave it a good go. Shylock Ndlovu appeared not to have played in a match with offside's at times, but he never gave up running, like the rest of his side.

As expected Stankevičius was a class act leading things at the back for Padania. He and his colleagues were kept busy but had the nous and strength to remain in control. His side made it 5-0 on the hour mark through William Rosset who used his skill and strength to force the ball home.


Five soon became six, as a quick corner routine left Andrea Rota with an easy task of nodding home while the keeper was still trying to get back. Dube made amends for some of his earlier goalkeeping as he made a fine reflex save to keep out Rossett.

Matabeleland immediately broke and produced a fine move, which should have resulted in a goal, if the forward on the back post had shown a bit more commitment when going for a header.

Thabiso Ndlela had a fine little jinking run before seeing his shot deflected for a corner on seventy seven minutes. The resulting short corner saw Sawusani Mudimba fire in a fierce cross, which Ndlela headed home, to great celebrations from the team and most spectators.


In the closing stages Romeo Sibanda had a free kick saved as the team from Zimbabwe carried on until the end. I departed a couple of minutes before full time to catch a train home in readiness for a pre work siesta.

The match had been a bit one sided at times, but I really enjoyed the afternoon out. Padania were classy, and I expected that they’d be close to honours. Matabeleland played with a freedom and never say die attitude. What Mr Grobbelaar thought of the defending may be another story!

Tuesday 1st December 2020

Click here to read about a further visit as part of my 100 mile Sawasdee Cup Charity Walk late in 2020 as I called in on all the clubs in the top five tiers within Greater London to raise money for Junior Cricket Development in Thailand.












No comments: