Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Sunday 18 July 2010

Abbey Hey

Abbey Hey FC is a non-league football club from the Gorton area of Manchester, originally formed as Abbey Hey WMC in 1902. The team started out life playing in local Church Sunday Leagues.

The club was disbanded and reformed several times, progressing to the Manchester Amateur Leagues. The club took on the players of the Admiralty Gunning Engineering Department (AGED) following its closure in the early 1960’s.

Abbey manager and club stalwart Alf Gentry stood down to be replaced by AGED Manager, Danny Danson. ‘The Red Rebels’ joined Division One South of the Manchester League in 1970 with former player Ken Brown taking over as manager.

The title was secured in their debut season leading to promotion to the Premier Division at the end of the 1971-72 season. In 1978 Abbey Hey moved to Werburghs Road in Chorlton on the understanding that the club improved the venue. They carried this out, but the owners reneged on the deal, so the club moved to Godfreys.

Sadly, despite money been spent on this venue, the club were forced out in a deal made by someone else to use the ground, which never materialised. Hey were crowned Manchester League champions for the first time in 1988-89.

Further titles followed in 1990-91 and then 1993-94 which was celebrated after Manchester City Council stepped in to settle a legal battle with Crossley Motors Ltd over trying to buy some disused land on at Goredale Avenue in Chorlton.

Abbey Hey had at last got their own home. Much work was required to make it fit as it had been used for fly tipping for some time, but the resourcefulness of the dedicated committee soon put things right.

Jim Clark arrived as manager, leading Hey to another league title in 1994-95 before finishing runners up in the Manchester league in 1996-97 and again in 1997-98, the club were accepted to Division Two of the North West Counties League, as long as improvements were made to The Abbey Stadium.

True to form, the club installed new floodlights, a clubhouse and dressing rooms as the team played their part by finishing as runners-up in 1998-99 to secure promotion to Division One. Former Football League striker Tony Hancock took over as manager in the summer of 2002.

Jim Vince ws appointed as team boss for the 2003-04 season. The side narrowly avoided relegation after Chris Bailey took over team affairs. Ten members of the committee were given long service awards for their 25 years of service in Grass Roots Football by The Manchester FA in 2004.

Division One was renamed the Premier Division from 2008-09 with Hey remaining there until 2009-10 when they were relegated despite the best efforts of new manager Barrie Walker and his plethora of new signings.

Walker decided to invest in a policy of the club developing their own youth players. He remained at the helm until May 2013 after steering the side to promotion to the Premier Division as runners-up when Luke Gibson took over as player-manager.

After a narrow scrape with relegation, Abbey Hey stabilised. Paul Moore was appointed as team boss for the 2018-19 season, as the team was relegated to Division One South. Terry Hincks came in as manager in the summer of 2019.

The team sat in fifth place when the 2019-20 season ended early owing to the COVID-19 pandemic. Hey were in eighth in 2020-21 when play was halted.

Abbey Hey FC will play in the North West Counties League Division One South in the 2020-21 season.


My visit

Monday 19th July 2010

I was on annual leave from work, so I decided I would have three days in the Manchester area clocking up some new grounds. I had already been to several grounds in the Stockport area and booked into my accommodation in Sale, before taking a train from Bredbury to Reddish North. 


I wanted to get off at Ryder Brow, but trains only stop their irregularly, so it was time to get into hiking mode once more.
The problem was that The Abbey Stadium was not marked properly in my A to Z map book and I had slipped up by not marking down the address of the ground.

Fortunately, we live in an advanced technological era and after a quick text to my brother Nick, who was in London on business but had a new fangled phone, I soon found out I needed to find Goredale Avenue. 

This proved easy enough, but the gate was locked into the ground. I walked around and got a poorish view inside from a hill behind one of the sides, but this was no use to see the only stand at the ground. Fortune was on my side. 


I had noticed an old disused railway embankment that was now a public footpath at the far side of the ground which gave me a far better view. I must have looked a bit strange to passers by as I aimed my mobile phone at a small football ground and snapped away.

The ground was basic. There was flat grass and concrete standing all around. Behind the Entrance End there was a small practice pitch with training lights. The near side touchline had a two storey clubhouse, which the club proudly advertise as having excellent facilities. 

The far side had the only cover for spectators in the form of a long low structure with standing and seats on metal frames. After years of wandering, Hey have a functional ground with a large housing area around to gather support from.


I wandered back along the embankment and ended up having to scramble down a large bank onto Hyde Road to continue my adventures for the day.











No comments: