Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Sunday 10 May 2020

Newhaven


Newhaven FC is a non-league football club formed in 1887, who are located in the ferry port of the same name at the mouth of the River Ouse in East Sussex; around ten miles east of Brighton.


After playing local football, Newhaven joined the Brighton, Hove & District Football League, until the end of the 1919–20 season. The 10920-21 campaign saw the introduction of the Sussex County League, with ‘The Dockers’ competing as founder members.


The club amassed several top ten finishes in Division One before the team lifted the league title in the 1953-54 season. In 1964-65 Newhaven were relegated to Division Two; before returning to the top tier just twelve months later as league runners-up.

A further relegation came to the Fort Road club in 1967-68. It would take until the 1971-72 season before Newhaven returned to Division One. A second league title followed shortly after in the 1973-74 campaign.


The fluctuations at the club continued as the team went back down to Division Two at the completion of the 1975-76 season. Fifteen years were spent at that level before Newhaven won Division Two in 1990-91 to regain their Division One status.

In 1994-95 the side went back down to Division Two, and this was followed by a further demotion to Division Three in 1998-99. The Division Three title was secured in 2011-12 as the club had an upsurge in fortunes.


Newhaven ended the 2012-13 Division Two campaign as runners-up to return to Division One. The Sussex County League was retitled in the summer of 2015 to become the Southern Combination, with the old Division One becoming the Premier Division.

The Dockers benefitted from the name change as they weighed in with a third place and then ninth place finish in the 2016-17 season under managers Sean Breach and Andy Cook at the Trafalgar Ground.


The same position was repeated in 2017-18 before the Dockers progressed to fourth twelve months later. Newhaven were sat in fourth once again in 2019-20 when the season came to an early end owing to the outbreak of COVID-19.

Newhaven FC will play in the Southern Combination Premier Division in the 2020-21 season.



My visits

Monday 24th July 2017


Every so often my hobby offers up a wonderful surprise regarding the standard of a ground. Newhaven was to be a classic example.

After alighting at Newhaven Town station from the number 10 bus, I crossed the bridge over the River Ouse and walked along the side of the water before reaching Fort Road. Around ten minutes later I arrived at the sports field; with Newhaven Cricket Club and then the football club across the green.


The football ground was locked, but the perimeter fence low enough for me to see down the near side. The fantastic Main Stand stood out like a beacon across the pitch. I wandered onto Castle Hill to get a proper view.


Both ends had open seating; which I believe came from Withdean Stadium after Brighton & Hove Albion had moved out. The cricket field side had a thin section of flat open standing. The two tier Main Stand was all seated with club rooms at the rear upstairs. It was flanked by open standing.

The hill behind the goal offered perfect viewing and contained a hard court for ball sports, a skate and BMX track and a turfed obstacle track for bikes and motor cycles. The site of the old fort was at the summit of the hill, with the ferry port to the distance on the right.


Once complete I retraced my tracks while arranging a forthcoming Scarborough Athletic away trip with a good pal while keeping an eye on the bus title before jumping on the excellent number 10 coastal service at the Elim Church towards Peacehaven.

Newhaven 2 Binfield 2 - Binfield win 4-1 on penalties (Saturday 5th December 2020) FA Vase Second Round (att: 129)


My opportunity of a return to the Trafalgar Ground wasn’t planned until the morning of the game. I’d been scanning social media looking for something to grab my attention when I saw the unlikely opportunity of a double header.

Peacehaven & Telscombe, just five miles up the road, were kicking off at 1pm in a friendly against Whitehawk. Although I’d have to leave before the end of that encounter, I wasn’t going to turn down the chance of two games in a day.

I’d arrived at Newhaven Town station earlier in the day, gone to the first match and caught the number 12 bus back while trying desperately to thaw out. It really was a cold, wet and very windy day on the East Sussex coast.

Alighting at Lower Place in the town centre, I wondered what the racket was. Some crazy person wearing earphones was wailing in an attempt to sing through the hairdresser’s window. All very strange. Obviously, the townsfolk were generally a sensible bunch as it was otherwise very quiet.

A fella was doing his best to stay warm on the gate when I arrived to give him £6 for my admission as well as purchasing a programme for a further quid. Before I decided where I’d view proceedings from, I popped into the Surf and Skate Café.

The café sold refreshments as well as equipment for skateparks, skateboards and surfing and sponsored the clubs’ junior teams. It seemed a good arrangement, especially with the skatepark bordering the ground at the far end. The friendly lady served me a Bovril and said she was going to try her first ever.


While there was a high wind, it was possible to shelter from it opposite the stand, where further open seating had been added since my previous visit. There was a good crowd in and Newhaven generally had the feel of a club on the up.

Both sides were off to decent starts in their respective league campaigns, with Binfield competing in the Premier Division of the Hellenic League. They had former Hendon goalkeeper, and nice chap, Chris Grace in goal.

Before kick off the teams stood to observe a minute silence to commemorate the local men who had recently lost their lives at sea. The teams in nice contrasting colours reminded me of Melchester Rovers taking on Escape to Victory.

The slippery surface, which was sticky in places led to a game strewn with lots of commitment but plenty of errors. Neither side had played a proper game for a few weeks because of the latest lockdown so mistakes were understandable.

Big centre back for the visiting Moles, Liam Gavin was getting some stick from the home support as some of his clearances were more akin of a rugby union back as they found touch.

Lee Robinson had a good opportunity for the Dockers but shot straight at Grace before Ian Robinson opened the scoring with a low shot from the edge of the box that I thought the keeper might have saved from my angle.


It was time for me to have a walk and see what was going on around the other side. I’d got the feeling back in my fingers, so I decided to have a beer. It was an unexpected treat, what with pubs been closed unless you sat down for a meal and many venues being stopped from selling by local councils. I couldn’t even buy a cuppa at Hendon a few days later.

However, it came with a caveat and my only real moan. As I queued downstairs at the hatch, a posse of locals who should have known better at their age, came in behind me, in such eagerness to talk to the ladies that I was all but bundled out of the way. It was not very COVID friendly.

Risking a Doombar out of a bottle I headed upstairs to watch for a few minutes, but with most gathering towards the back couple of rows and stood on the rear area, the view was not the best, so I soon moved back to my original position.

By which time Binfield were forcing their way back into the game. Impressive forward George Short fired a shot over the bar, over the old disused cover behind the open seating and out of the ground. Gavin went closer with a glancing header.

Lee Robinson went close to doubling the lead, but he dallied, and his chance was gone. The ball ran on to Freddie Beale whose shot was more of a danger to the youngsters showing off their daring do on the skatepark than the Binfield goal.

At the break the Binfield management team of Carl Withers and Jamie McClurg made tactical changes and introduced Phil Veal for Gavin. The sub was to make a difference as the tide began to turn as he played in Sean Moore to fire home past Jake Buss.


The visitors would go ahead with a goal of top quality. Veal played in Oliver Harris down the left with a slide rule pass, whose first time low cross was smashed in by the onrushing Moore in front of Buss.

I honestly couldn’t see how Newhaven were going to get back into the game. Binfield were more energised and stronger. They should have probably wrapped things up when Asa Powell squandered a good chance after beating the offside trap.

I was thinking of making a dash the 17:01 train if they scored another, but to their credit the hosts had other ideas. They composed themselves and gradually recovered a foothold after making substitutions of their own. They began to put one or two attacks of their own.

One of the replacements, Kyle Woolven got n the end of a swirling cross at the back post to side foot past Grace to the joy of some youths behind the goal. They’d previously given the keeper some banter, which he returned by celebrating in front of them when his side took the lead. Now the boot was on the other foot.

Suddenly the momentum turned as the Dockers went full throttle in search of a late winner. Lee Robinson set up Alfie Rogers who controlled well but shot high and handsome over the bar towards the Christmas lights adorning the houses in the road beyond.

Suddenly the momentum turned as the Dockers went full throttle in search of a late winner. Lee Robinson set up Alfie Rogers who controlled well but shot high and handsome over the bar towards the Christmas lights adorning the houses in the road beyond.

It was down to the dreaded penalties, thankfully played out at the town end. Harris and Short scored while the hosts Lee Robinson had his kick saved by Grace. Newhaven netted to make it 1-2 before Tom Willment extended the lead. Rogers had his effort saved again by Grace.

Joint boss McClurg stepped up and scored to send Binfield into the third round as the players hailed hero Grace. His previous visit to the same area a year earlier in similar weather was rather contrasting as he wasn’t at his best in Hendon’s 4-1 hammering in the FA Trophy at Whitehawk. I was really pleased for him.

Both teams had given their absolute lot in trying conditions. Neither side really deserved to go out, although I though Binfield probably just shaded it if pushed as they were that little bit more decisive and stronger.

I found the cracking Newhaven Fish Bar on the way back to the station sorted me out for a large tea, washed down nicely with a cuppa at Lewes while waiting for my connection back to the metropolis for the evening football on TV.

It was a really good day out, but how I missed a normal pub for a couple of hours on my return.

 

 

 

No comments: