Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Thursday 13 August 2009

Blackpool


Blackpool Football Club were formed on 26 July 1887, after a merger with a breakaway group from the local St. John's Football Club. They played in local football and then the Lancashire League before being accepted into the Football League in 1896. 

The club played its games in its early years at Raikes Hall Gardens (also known as the Royal Palace Gardens), which was part of a large entertainment complex that included a theatre and a boating lake, among other attractions.

After three seasons the club were not re-elected into the League. They amalgamated with South Shore FC and were accepted back in after an absence of a year. They played at the Stanley Park Athletic Grounds before setting up permanently at Bloomfield Road in 1899. 


Up until World War Two 'The Seasiders' to give them one of their nicknames had a couple of promotions and relegations between the top two divisions. In 1947 the club made the big signing of Stanley Matthews from Stoke City to join up with an already fine side including England centre forward Stan Mortensen. 

In the 1948 the side reached the FA Cup Final at Wembley but their dreams were ended with a two nil defeat to Manchester United. They returned three years later but this time they were defeated by Newcastle United. Two years later they once again reached the FA Cup Final with the public wanting Matthews to finally win a winners medal.

The 1953 final against Bolton Wanderers is one of the most famous of all. Blackpool were being beaten 3-1 with just twenty two minutes remaining. Matthews worked his magic and Mortensen completed his hat trick in the last minute of normal time to equalise. Bill Perry scored the winning goal in injury time to take the Cup back to the seaside.


Three years later the club were runners up in the First Division, but they never reached those levels again as the side gradually moved on. They were relegated in 1967, but returned as Division Two runners up three years later as Jimmy Armfield neared the end of his fine playing career. 

The team also won the Anglo Italian Cup in 1971 which was extremely prestigious at the time of many pre season tournaments. Read here about the adventure. For action from Bloomfield Road, click here.

In 1970-71 the team were relegated once more and in 1977-78 they went down to the third tier for the first ever time. They suffered a further relegation following a disastrous spell in charge from returning hero Alan Ball, before winning a promotion in 1984-85. 


Five years later Blackpool once again found themselves in the League's bottom division. Billy Ayre took over team affairs and took the team up via the play offs after a failure at the same stage the previous season.

Money was desperately tight as Bloomfield Road was in a real state of disrepair and crowds were low. The Chairman at the time, Oyen Oysten promised a new stadium which came to nothing, while he was jailed for rape for six years in 1996 with his son Karl taking over. 

The team lost in the play offs to miss out on a return to the second tier after a period of eighteen years that season.Eventually at the turn of the century the old stands at Bloomfield Road were demolished and new structures were put up on two sides.

In 2000 former England international Steve McMahon couldn't save the team from another relegation, but he did put things right by taking the side back up at the first attempt and leading them to lift the Football League Trophy in 2001-02 and 2003-04. 

McMahon resigned over the size of his budget in June 2004, with Colin Hendry taking over until November 2005 before Simon Grayson was appointed after an initial caretaker spell.



In his first full season at the helm Grayson’s side reached the play-offs in 2006-07; defeating Oldham Athletic and then Yeovil Town 2-0 at Wembley thanks to goals from Rob Williams and Keigan Parker.

Grayson departed to take the Leeds United job in May 2010 to be replaced by Ian Holloway whose side also reached the play-offs. Nottingham Forest were seen off before Cardiff City were defeated 3-2 at Wembley as Charlie Adam, Gary Taylor-Fletcher and Brett Ormerod netted.

A new South Stand was built during the victorious campaign before a new temporary stand was placed on the East side to host top flight football for the first time since 1971. Unfortunately, although Holloway's side were certainly capable of entertainment, they also let goals in aplenty and were relegated after just one season in the Premier League.

Holloway's side continued to entertain the following season and just missed out on a swift return to the Premier League as they lost out to West Ham United in the Play Off Final at Wembley.

Holloway moved on in November 2013 to take the managers job at Crystal Palace. He was  replaced for a short while by Michael Appleton, before Paul Ince was appointed. Results started really well before dropping off leading to his dismissal eleven months later. 


Barry Ferguson took over until the end of the season as fans fury built over the lack of investment in the playing side from owner Karl Oyston. The mood deepened at the start of the 2014-15 season as twenty seven players had left the club, leaving new boss José Riga with a seemingly impossible job as fans protests grew. 


Riga was replaced by Lee Clark in October 2014 whose side was relegated at the end of the 2014-15 campaign. To add to the misery Oysten’s reign was causing much anger as it was claimed that he was asset stripping. The final home game was abandoned against Huddersfield Town after protesting fans invaded the pitch.

Riga was replaced by Lee Clark in October 2014 whose side was relegated at the end of the 2014-15 campaign. To add to the misery Oysten’s reign was causing much anger as it was claimed that he was asset stripping. The final home game was abandoned against Huddersfield Town after protesting fans invaded the pitch.

Neil McDonald was appointed to replace Clark; lasting a season and taking Blackpool down to League Two until being replaced by Gary Bowyer, who did a fine job with no cash available and with huge crowd boycotts.

Pool won the play-offs in 2016-17, defeating Luton Town and then Exeter City in the Wembley final. The Oysten’s put the club up for sale in November 2017 while the family came into conflict with each other.


Bowyer resigned in August 2018 in protest at the running of the club, with Terry McPhillips taking over until the end of the season. The fans protest eventually paid off; especially the heroic efforts from the Tangerine Knights.

In February 2019 the High Court put the club into receivership which forced Owen Oyston to pay ex-director Valeri Belokon some of the £25m he was owed. Oysten was removed from the board of directors as the receiver took away some of Oysten’s assets.

In June 2019 lifelong fan Simon Sadler bought the club from the receiver with Simon Grayson returning as manager. However, the move failed to work out, as he was replaced by Neil Critchley in February 2020 as Armand Gnanduillet led the scoring charts.

The playoffs were reached in 2020-21, with Oxford United and then Lincoln City defeated as Blackpool returned to the Championship as Jerry Yates converted his chances. Michael Appleton arrived as the new manager in June 2022 before Mick McCarthy had a spell in charge.

Neither bosses could do enough, as Pool were relegated at the end of the 2022-23 season. Critchley returned to the hot seat shortly after, as his side were aided by the goals of Jordan Rhodes.

Blackpool FC will play in EFL League One in the 2024-25 season.

My visits

October 1974

I first entered through the gates of Bloomfield Road on a family holiday to the resort with my grandparents and immediate family. It was blowing ridiculously high winds on the day we arrived but somehow a game had taken place. My dad took me for a walk round to the ground one morning after breakfast.

The gates were open in the corner of the South Stand. This was behind the goal and housed the players tunnel and offices. It had a seated section with terracing at the front. Above me in the corner was a press area which connected with the West Stand. 

Even then, this was an old rickety structure made from wood with a terrace paddock. At the top end the North West Stand stood at a strange angle to the pitch. The East Stand to the west was a low covered terrace while the ground's crowning glory stood at the far end. The magnificent Spion Kop was a large terracing with a roof over the rear. 

It seemed massive to me. I'm not sure whether it had been segregated by then but if it hadn't it couldn't have been far away as a fan was stabbed to death in there the previous season. Although it was old the ground was a proper football stadium. 

While we were there I was treated to a Blackpool kit which I wore with pride, getting my Mum to sew a club badge on (this was in the days when replica kits were at their most basic) and a white number nine.

Unfortunately there was no game on throughout our visit although there was on our next visit, which was a coach trip from the Scarborian Social Club to Blackpool Illuminations. The Tangerines were at home to Nottingham Forest but there was no way we were going to be allowed to go. 

It took place on Saturday 16th October 1976 with the home side winning 1-0 and Forest had just about the worst reputation for hooligan fans in the country at the time. They didn't disappoint so that was the end of any dream I had that day.

Another holiday, another missed match although I once again got a look inside in September 1980. At least I got a programme, or matchday newspaper as it was at the time from the game against Rotherham United.

Blackpool 1 Scarborough 0 after extra time (Tuesday 21st March 1989) Sherpa Van Trophy Northern Semi Final (att: 4,286)

At last I got to go to a game at Bloomfield Road, and when I did it ended in heartbreaking fashion. We went by mini bus and found a pub near to the ground for a couple of hours pre match beers. There were quite a few Seadogs in attendance for a game that meant the winners would be one step away from Wembley.

Bloomfield Road had changed. The South Stand now had emergency staircases everywhere. Opposite the North West Stand was out of commission with the West Stands capacity severely reduced. 


The Spion Kop had lost its roof many years previously with just the pillars remaining and had sections fenced off. It was raining so we were put in the terribly designed East Stand which had shallow terracing which were below pitch level at the front. Segregation fences hampered the view further.

The game was between two decent teams but chances were scarce. It seemed that the tie was going to be settled on penalty kicks when in injury time of extra time the home side were awarded a penalty. They scored and Boro were out. I remember being quiet fed up.

July 2006

My parents took my nephew and niece, Jack and Sally to Blackpool for a weeks self catering holiday. I had planned a surprise visit with my Dad and I flew from Stansted. We went for a family walk before I took the youngsters for a trek with the promise of the funfair on the pier, via the football ground! Bloomfield Road was unrecognisable from before. 


The old stands had all disappeared and the Kop levelled. A new road had been constructed behind the main Stanley Matthews West Stand. This continued round behind the goal to form the North Stand. A statue of Stanley Mortensen stood behind. 

Sally asked me who Morty was and the poor thing was soon regaled with tales of the 53 Cup Final. We couldn't get inside for a look but could see from outside that a temporary stand was on the East side while the old South Stand was now just rubble and being prepared for a new structure.

Blackpool 2 Coventry City 1 (Tuesday 31st January 2012) The Championship (att: 11,414)


I had planned to go to Bolton Wanderers v Arsenal on the Tuesday evening after finishing my set of night shifts. The game was then placed on the Wednesday evening, which meant I needed to do some replanning.

I booked a room at the Blackpool Central Travelodge opposite to the North Pier and arrived mid afternoon by train after changing at Preston. As was always the case, I couldn't wait to get my first glimpse of the Tower. There was something about it that filled me with joy. Over the next twenty plus hours I looked for it whenever possible.




I had a quick rest and then had an excellent meal in the Layton Rakes Wetherspoon pub, before walking down to the ground. It was extremely cold and the town seemed deserted. I was heading slightly off track until I spotted the lights shining in the distance, so I cut along Seasiders Way, a large new road with plentiful parking that has replaced the old disused area that was once railway sidings. 

I continued past a Bannatyne fitness centre where the old Borough Park greyhound and rugby league stadium once stood, and where I'd seen a match between Blackpool Borough and West Hull many years previously. I picked up my £25 match ticket and then headed off to look for somewhere to enjoy a pint.




The area around Lytham Road can be vibrant in the summer months, but it looked very scruffy out of season. I tried The Old Bridge House as I'd read that it had a selection of handpumps. There was no 'proper' ale on and it had the feel of a poor pub. A women, the worse for wear, was dancing to the sounds of the jukebox. 

I quickly moved on. I also poked my head in The Albert and The Excelsior and neither were any better. Eventually I settled on the old reliable Weatherspoon house, The Auctioneer. This was the best of a poor bunch, as I was served my pint in a hard plastic glass. I wasn't upset when it was time to head to the match.

I walked up Bloomfield Road and had a look at the magnificent Jimmy Armfield statue. The newly built South Stand had been named after the club stalwart, and the statue was a fitting tribute. I just found it a shame that it wasn't illuminated. I then entered through the turnstiles and into the stand.


Bloomfield Road was very different from the first time I'd been inside, but it was looking well. The Armfield, Stanley Matthews and North Stands all joined together in a single tiered horseshoe shape. 

There were boxes at the rear of two sides with seating outside for the owners. The corner section in the South East corner was under construction, with the excellent temporary East Stand next to it. When eventually completed, I imagined it would make an excellent arena.

It was biting cold and I regretted not putting on my thermal layer. I applauded everything just to keep my hands moving! The home side dominated possession and spread play around well. 


Tom Ince and Matt Phillips stood out for me going forward, with Steven Crainey the one excellent defender as a home fan behind me was very quick to remind the others. Coventry had an occasional attack, but were doing rather well to keep out the men in tangerine.

At half time I went downstairs and used the brilliant Seaside bar come clubhouse. It was neatly fitted out with ample furniture, TVs and some lovely pictures of years gone by on the wall. I had a whisky for medicinal purposes and headed back out for the second half.

I had some admiration for City. Around 500 fans had made the journey and gave the home support a battle in the noise competition despite their team being bottom of the league and suffering under some poor ownership. The team were battling hard and getting stuck in on the pitch that was freezing over by the minute.


Their endevours were rewarded when they went one up through Conor Thomas to send the Sky Blue support into ecstacy. The Pool fans were not happy to say the least. Manager Holloway made some substitutions nearing the end including the veteran Kevin Phillips, whose excellent movement immediately caused problems for the City defence. 

I looked at the scoreboard above me and there were just five minutes to go. A few fans around me decided to call it a night. It was too much for the bloke behind me as he went spare about part timers and asked why they bothered coming? His missus was howling with laughter.

As if by magic Phillips netted the equaliser with three minutes to go. My pal shouted plenty of advice after those who'd disappeared. I'm glad it was after the 9pm watershed! More fans then unbelievably headed for the exits despite the game entering time added on for stoppages. 


A deep cross was laid back into the box and veteran Gary Taylor-Fletcher, who looked off the pace until then, smashed the ball home. The bloke behind me was off again, while the poor Coventry fans headed for the exits totally dejected.

The final whistle went and I had a look around to get in some places for some photos. I had been impressed by how many Pool fans were of an older age. I'm glad that they'd had their late days in the sun to remind them of their glory years. 

I headed for the Golden Mile, which was empty. Even The Manchester was shut. I walked along remembering happy days with family and friends. Blackpool has its faults, but I'd never left regretting my visit.


The following day's Blackpool Gazette's take on the game


I got talking back at The Rakes to an older Pool fan who travelled regularly from Aberystwyth with his wife to matches. They seemed like that kind of club. After a few nightcaps and a period of thawing out I went back to my hotel to catch the end of Match of the Day. I had plans for the following morning to visit four non league grounds before heading to Manchester, from where I'd go to the Bolton game that evening.

Everything went well the next day, and I left the town in good form. I was in no doubt that I'd return one day, and no doubt I'd comment how tired the town looks and how it's not a patch on Scarborough. But, I can guarantee I'd leave with a smile on my face. Blackpool does that to you.


The old photos of Bloomfield Road have been taken from the internet.








No comments: