Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Saturday 7 December 2013

Egham Town




Egham Town FC is a non league football club based on the edge of the Surrey town of the same name, which is located twenty miles south west of central London.

The current club were formed in 1963, but football in the town goes back much further. Runnymeade Rovers were formed back in 1877, before being reformed as Egham FC in 1905. The club had spells in the Surrey Senior League and then the Spartan League, before disbanding upon the outbreak of World War Two.











It took until the 60’s before a public meeting decided to form a new club, with the local council offering land for a new ground off Tempest Road. After a season in the Parthenon League, and then a couple in the Surrey Senior League, ‘The Sarnies’ secured a place in the Spartan League.

The 1971-72 campaign saw Egham crowned as league champions, which led to a place in the Athenian League for 1974-75. Town came close to another crown, ending as runners up in 1975-76. In 1977 the club became members of the Isthmian League.











Over the years the Runnymeade Stadium was developed into a fine venue as Egham plied their trade in the lower divisions of the Isthmian League. Following the re-organisation of non league football, the club were placed in the Western Division of the Southern League for 2004-05.


This move was soon reversed after just one season. Unfortunately The Sarnies were relegated to the Combined Counties League in their first season back. Eventually after a few seasons of consolidation, the club pipped Guernsey to the championship in 2012-13 and were promoted back to the Southern League.











Egham Town FC will play in the Southern League Division One Central in the 2013-14 season.


My visits

Tuesday 6th September 2006











My day of groundhopping was nearly complete on a pleasant late summer’s day. I had walked plenty of miles and was starting to tire. After calling at Chertsey Town, I alighted from my train at Egham station and walked a further mile onwards under the M25 to Tempest Road.

I had no idea what to expect, so the Runnymeade Stadium came as a pleasant surprise. Although the gates were locked, I managed to get some decent views to take photos.











The Main Stand was a low seated affair on the near half way line. Opposite was a long low terraced cover. The Clubhouse End was similar, while a small cover stood behind the far goal. The rest of the ground consisted in open hard standing.

After taking my photos I went on my way. Fortunately a bus at nearby Pooley Green took me to Staines, which saved another long walk. I was not upset by this!


Egham Town 1 Rugby Town 1 (Tuesday 3rd December 2013) Southern League Division One Central (att:82)



After finishing my nights I wanted a decent game but also to get back relatively quickly for a beer. After studying the fixtures, the game between Egham and Rugby fitted the bill. The home side were finding life tough at their new level, whereas the visitors from Warwickshire came into the game in second place.

I had previously got lost between the bus and train stations in Staines, so I did extra planning before setting off. This time there was no mistakes. I found the correct bus, which dropped me at Pooley Green for a reasonable £1.70. A quick walk over the park took me to Pond Road and then Wards Place through the large car park to the turnstiles.











Admission was a very reasonable £7, which included a decent enough programme. It was a cold evening but I resisted the tea bar, which was just opening next to the seated stand. The teams emerged from either side, as I took up a position under the cover on the opposite half way line. The stadium remained unaltered since my previous visit.

An Egham coach was stood nearby cajoling his players from behind the barrier. The standard of play was good, and there were plenty of crunching challenges going in from both sides. The referee was excellent as he spoke to the players like adults and generally helped them through the game.











It was nip and tuck for the first thirty minutes. The Sarnies were holding their own, despite Rugby creating a couple of half chances. Just before the interval Rudgby’s Alex Gudger tripped home forward Ryan O’Toole as he was going away from goal. The ref had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. O’Toole dusted himself down and smashed home from twelve yards.

At the break I treated myself to a beer and a whisky for medicinal reasons in the cosy clubhouse. On my return it was time for some food. My hot dog and a Bovril set me back £3.50.
The older visiting fans stood down the side and were giving the linesman some real stick over some decisions. Their bench also joined in, but the ref defused the situation expertly.











The excellent O’Toole had an effort superbly pushed onto the crossbar by visiting custodian Niall Cooper, before coming close with a thirty yard lob. The Sarnies defence were snuffing out the previously potent visiting attack.

I departed with a couple of minutes to go, as seeing out full time would necessitate a long wait for a later bus. Instead, I ran across the park and caught the 9.39 service. As luck would have it, I missed the Rugby equaliser, which was apparently turned into his own net by Arran Taylor-Ives.











Meanwhile I managed to catch the train towards London, but instead of staying on until Waterloo, I managed a master stroke and jumped out at Richmond to catch London Overground. It saved me some good time, and I was back in the pub in Kingsbury by 11.10.








No comments: