Monday, 11 May 2020

Stalybridge Celtic



Stalybridge Celtic FC
Ground: Bower Fold
Capacity: 6,500
Club Founded: 1909
League: Northern Premier League Division One West - Step 4/8th Tier (current level)

Stalybridge Celtic FC has a rich history, including short spells in the Football League and the highest level of non-league football. The club continues to reestablish themselves at their excellent Bower Fold home.


Stalybridge Celtic Background 

Early Years in the Football League

The club, from the former textile town east of Manchester, was formed in 1909, although another club of the same name was formed in 1906. The club moved into their Bower Fold home on Mottram Road on formation. They soon moved to the Lancashire Combination and turned professional.

After a spell in the Central League, Celtic attempted to progress by joining the Southern League before returning for the 1919-20 season. A year later, Stalybridge became a founder member of the Football League Division Three North. After just two seasons, they resigned as low attendances failed to justify their status.

Cheshire League to the NPL

Instead, they returned to the Cheshire League. After decades in the competition, Celtic ended as runners-up in 1977-78 before winning the title a couple of seasons later under manager Peter Wragg. In 1982, the competition merged with the Lancashire Combination, and Celtic became a founding member of the North West Counties League (NWCL).

The team won the Division One league title in 1983-84 and again three years later, securing promotion to the Northern Premier League (NPL) after Bower Fold was improved to meet ground-grading regulations. The side reached the NPL Premier Division before Phil Wilson was given the manager's job. 

 

Top-Tier Non-League Football

Wilson's Celtic team finished runners-up in 1990-91 before lifting the title the following season and winning promotion to the Football Conference, as the National League was called at the time. Wragg returned in 1993-94 as the team escaped relegation before being replaced by Brian Kettle. Stalybridge returned to the NPL at the end of the 1996-97 season.

Wilson’s return a couple of seasons later saw Celtic lift several cup competitions, including the NPL title in 2000-01. Their spell at the elite level of non-league competition lasted just twelve months, as Paul Futcher and then Dave Miller nearly helped save the day. Bower Fold opened a new stand as Celtic secured a place in the newly formed Conference North for the start of the 2004-05 season. 

 

Recent Years

Steve Burr took the side to the playoffs in the 2007-08 season, where they lost out to Barrow in the final after defeating Southport. The highly regarded Jim Harvey was appointed team manager in February 2010. He lasted three years before Keith Briggs replaced him. Liam Watson helped save the team from relegation in 2014-15.

Celtic were eventually relegated to the NPL at the end of the 2016-17 season. Simon Haworth was appointed manager in 2018. The team was relegated to Division One West in 2022-23 before former Premier League player Jon Macken took over the reins. His side lost in the playoff semi-finals to Avro in 2025-26 before he was replaced a few months later. 

My visit

Stalybridge Celtic 2 Scarborough 2
Conference North - Tuesday 22nd August 2006
👨‍👨‍👧‍👧 401 


Scarborough were in a desperate state, with a signing embargo in place. This meant they started the season with a ten-point deduction because of financial irregularities. I was off work, so I headed north from London to support the team.

I took the train to Manchester Piccadilly around lunchtime and booked into The Gardens, an ageing hotel with a creaky lift. I walked to Sports City and the City of Manchester Stadium, where I went on a stadium and museum tour, which was most enjoyable. A bus took me back to the city centre for my train to Stalybridge.


On arrival, I tried a pint at the legendary Buffet Bar on the station's platform as I sat outside listening to the latest updates on the fallout from the controversial England v Pakistan Test Match at The Oval. I decided to walk to the ground. On the way, I met Matt, AKA Malton Seadog, for the first time and his pal who supported Stevenage.

I left them to walk the last few yards as I had a beer in the Hare & Hounds before arriving at Bower Fold to enjoy some pre-match refreshment and Boro chat in the clubhouse. Several years earlier, Boro had played at Stalybridge in an FA Trophy tie on a day marred by crowd trouble mainly caused by off-duty Man Utd fans, but the welcome was fine on this occasion.


The ground itself was a real beauty, with cover on all four sides, with seated stands facing each other. Boro's team were still getting to know each other and were 2-0 down before half-time, purely through errors from what looked like poor communication. Several of us agreed over a half-time pint that the team had not played too badly.

The second half proved the point as they fought back tremendously, drawing level and very nearly winning with goals from Chris Thompson and Lee Whittington; much to the approval of the hundred or so hopeful Seadogs in attendance. I had a good chat with Alty Seadog about the finances and what exactly was happening at the club.


At full time, Simon from Batley kindly went out of his way to drop me at the station so that I could catch a train back to Manchester. I texted my fellow supporting mates, and although they were happy with the result, their faith had long since gone. I was still hopeful that things could be resolved, but I've always been an optimist.

I enjoyed my after-match beers at Wetherspoons on Piccadilly before hitting the sack to enjoy a heavy sleep, restoring energy for another cracking day in a quality city.



No comments: