Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Sunday 18 July 2010

Sittingbourne




Sittingbourne FC were formed in 1886, becoming founder members of the Kent League and moving into a field behind The Bull pub. The club had a brief spell in the Southern League around the War years and once again a couple of decades later.

 
Kent League titles were lifted three times in 1958, 1959, 1976 and 1984 before “The Brikkies” sold The Bull Ground in the centre of the town for £4.5M and built a lavish new arena on the outskirts called Central Park.





















Views of Central Park. It's never quite worked out as intended.
The owners certainly didn't watch Location, location, location.


Another Kent League title was lifted and promotion followed to the Southern League. However it soon became apparent that the club had massively overspent on the new stadium bringing them close to bankruptcy. It was sold to the local council and leased back. The lease was then passed on to a company running greyhound racing who in turn gave Sittingbourne a seven year lease.


The old Main Stand at The Bull Ground

Unfortunately fixtures could not be guaranteed because of race events, so the team played on their former adjacent training pitch called Bourne Park. Massive playing budget cutbacks and slow development of Bourne Park have steadied the ship as re-organisation of the league system saw The Brikkies become members of the Isthmian League. Maidstone United have spent time as tenants of Bourne Park while they looked to fund a ground in their home town.

In season 2012-13 Sittingbourne FC will be playing in the Isthmian League Division One South.


 












My visit



I was on annual leave from work so I decided after plenty of research to have a day’s groundhopping in North Kent on Friday 16th July 2010. I had a relaxing break in Faversham after earlier other ground visits before arriving in Sittingbourne.I had wanted to visit both Bourne and Central Park for some time. My parents had mentioned they’d visited the town when I was just a nipper to visit relatives. I remembered when living in Scarborough how Sittingbourne were making big noises about moving up through the leagues at their super stadium when they first moved in. Added to this, my good mate and fellow Scarborough fan, Simon Keane worked near to the ground so I’d no doubt get the chance to see him. 



 











I needed a walk after my splendid pub lunch in Faversham and sure enough I got one. The stadiums' complex were on the far side of an industrial estate along soulless roads. The approach to the grounds was Church Road, which had some very old terraced houses, a boarded up pub, a sports and social club, restricted access and a general feel of neglect. Everywhere seemed litter strewn and overgrown. Simon telephoned me and agreed to meet me outside the stadium once I'd completed my tasks. The entrance to Central Park was certainly grand. It had a huge gateway and car park with an imposing Main Stand. It would have graced a Football League club, but it had been built in completely the wrong place. No buses served the stadium and unless you have a car it would need a very devoted supporter to go on foot on a dark midweek night. All the stadium was locked up, so I couldn't get inside. I know from viewing the internet that the Main Stand was all seated, with a section of covered terrace on the far side and a section of open terracing behind each goal curving around the greyhound track.


Behind the goal at Bourne Park with the Main Stand
of Central Park visible in the background.


Many of the entrances to the stadium were now disused and derelict. It was hard to tell whether the stadium had been totally abandoned. The only sign of life was a business which had rented out a unit at the rear of the stand as a HQ. It was a desperate sight. I walked down past a practice pitch down a slope and into another huge car park servicing Bourne Park. A gentleman gave me permission to enter in the far corner. Well I hate to say it but Bourne Park was also a bit of a mess.  

 












There was one decent Main Stand on the half way line on the far touch line, which was in reasonable condition. On the near side there was a couple
of basic covers without any elevation for standing fans. A cover held up with scaffolding pole support was behind the near goal along with several portakabin buildings offering services. The far end had a small roof and open standing. 

The view down to Bourne Park from the Central Park car park



All the open standing areas were consisting of square paving stones, which can look quite smart. Unfortunately weeks had grown threw the gaps making it l
ook unkempt, although to be fair it was still pre season and such work could well be about to be carried out. I certainly hope so. I just find it very sad that a club bobbing happily along sold a prime site and were cast into the wilderness on the edge of town. It's a lesson many clubs would do well to learn from.I met Simon and we walked back into town and connected onto our train for the next call at Gillingham, while catching up with everything.



No comments: