Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Sunday 10 May 2020

Newbury Forest


Newbury Forest FC is a non-league football club that was formed in 2003 as a Sunday League side to represent the Newbury Park area of Essex on the north east borders of London.

A move to Saturday football and the Romford and District League followed in 2008, with the team lifting the senior division title in 2009-10; leading to progression to the Essex and Suffolk Border Football League.


After a third place finish in the Premier Division in 2011-12, Forest moved to Division One of the Essex Olympian Football League. Promotion was achieved to the Premier Division at the first attempt by courtesy of finishing third in the table.

The Eastern Counties League was extended for the 2018-19 season, with Forest being successful in their application to become members of Division One South. The club moved in as tenants of Redbridge FC at Oakside in Barkingside to comply with ground regulations.


The team led by Leo Connolly finished in seventeenth place in the 2018-19 campaign.

Newbury Forest FC will play in the Eastern Counties League Division One South in the 2019-20 season.


My visit

Newbury Forest 2 Frenford 3 (Friday 4th October 2019) Eastern Counties League Division One South (att: 75)


The enlargement of many of the step six non-league divisions offered more chances than usual for Friday night games as many clubs were tenants of other clubs with Saturday fixtures. Newbury Forest were one such example at the home of Redbridge.

I’d already enjoyed a good day; watching the clash at Princes Park in Dartford between the under 23 sides of Charlton Athletic and Swansea City before a visit to the home of Kent Football United and the smashing Kentish Belle micropub in Bexleyheath.


My journey by bus to Woolwich Arsenal was long and noisy, being surrounded by schoolkids having finished their duties for the week. The DLR transported me to Stratford International for another dosage of beer. The home brewed 3% Tonic Ale at Tap East was the perfect medicine.

Onwards to Greggs in the manically packed Westfield Shopping Centre before the walk through the maze of corridors in Stratford station to find a Central line service to Barkingside. It seemed to be far further than I remembered.


Annoyingly, the adjacent to the westbound platform, the ground was over five minutes walk away around Station Road and then back along to the ground entrance. Admission was £5, while the programme was only available online; but free of charge.

Forest would be the third different “home” club I’d seen in action at Oakside Stadium; after Barkingside, the original owners who were forced out in a rent increase by Redbridge; the other team I’d watched entertain opponents.


The ground required some tender loving care. The far side with a forlorn cover was out of bounds. It would have taken an intrepid explorer to risk the far end too. Some of the terrace had weeds coming through, while some of the seating was broken.

A cup of tea provided me with refreshment as I took up several different vantage points throughout the first half; including a precarious position on one of the aforementioned seats. It was a risky business!


The pitch was lush and not particularly level as Frenford took the initiative from the start before going ahead on eleven minutes. Forest keeper Brad Simpson kept out the initial effort before the ball looped in the direction of Joe Villiers who finished.

Harry Daly thought he had doubled the lead with a low shot, but it seemed clear enough that a visiting forward was in an offside position and definitely interfering with the view of keeper Simpson. After initially giving the goal, referee Tony King conferred with his linesman and ruled out the effort.


By now Newbury manager Leo Connolly was close to blowing a gasket with what he perceived to be injustices and the inability of his team to chase back and assist the defence. He had a point. The Frenford players appeared to be far fitter.

The lead was doubled on thirty four minutes by Luke Woodward; who was in my opinion by far the best player on show. At the break I honestly thought that it could turn into a rout; but I was to be proved wrong.


Fair play to the ref as we kicked off after just a ten minute break. He was either desperate for a pint or realised I had a distance to travel home! Newbury Forest came back out looking like a completely different side; competing fiercely.

The front two in particular began to make things awkward for the visiting defence and it would be that combo who got their side back into it on fifty six minutes. Nathaniel Cole’s excellent run ended with a shot against the post that Tyrell Holder put away on the rebound.


A group of youths behind the terraced goal offered their feedback and got involved; livening things up. It was good to see the game attract an attendance of mixed ages and cultures. Non-league football certainly needs more of it.

Ten minutes later Kieren Huddart made it 2-2. It was unbelievable stuff; full of honest endeavour and plentiful errors but brilliant entertainment all the same. Challenges were going flying in with only three yellow cards being very generous.


The physios were extremely busy for a variety of injuries and cramp to a Forest centre back; which some Frenford fans saw as time wasting as their side once again took the initiative over the tiring hosts in the closing stages.

In a new rule for the 2019-20 season from step six downwards, referees could show a yellow card and designate the offender to a sin bin for ten minutes for some offences. Freddie Anderson showed far too much dissent for Mr King and was sent to the bench with eight minutes remaining. It was the first time I’d witnessed it and I was in fully in favour.


He was fortunate the card wasn’t turned to a red for the abusive feedback he offered. Owing to injuries he got back on before the end to see out stoppage time. However, his intervention couldn’t save his team in the dying embers.

After mounting pressure, a Frenford corner was headed down towards goal by defender Villiers for Woodward to swivel and score to spark off jubilant celebrations. There was no time and very little energy left for Forest.


At full time I rushed off, encountering a very volatile fellow customer bellowing down the phone in an abusing manner at what I presumed was his partner. I gave him a wide berth and both home for a much need kip before an early Saturday start for work.








No comments: