Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Wednesday 11 August 2010

Faversham Town


Faversham Town FC is a non-league football club from the market and brewing town of the same name located to the north of the south-east county of Kent. Formed in 1884, the club became founder members of the Kent League in 1894 as a Division Two side.

The championship season of 1895-96 saw ‘The Lillywhites’ promoted to Division One before leaving the competition between 1900 and 1904. The league was expanded in 1909, with Faversham being placed in Division Two East.


The team finished bottom of the table in 1911-12; leaving the Kent League for a second time before returning in 1924 under the title of Faversham Rangers and being placed in Division Two (Mid-Kent). Three years later the club left the league.

As Faversham Invicta the club joined Division One of the Eastern Section of the Kent County League in 1934, from where they were relegated to the Mid-Kent Section in 1934-35. A place in Division Two of the Kent League was secured in 1937.

The team ended as Division Two runners-up in 1946-48; moving into their Salters Road home in 1948. Town remained in Division One until the Kent League folded in 1959; with the club moving to the Aetolian League.


The competition merged with the London League to become the Greater London League in 1964. ‘The Sooters’ were placed in the B Section before becoming members of the Premier Division after one season.

The Kent League reformed for the 1966-67 campaign with Faversham becoming members, becoming champions in 1969-70 and 1970-71; which led to progression to Division One of the Metropolitan-London League.


Following a runners-up place in their debut season, the Lillywhites moved to Division Two of the Athenian League. A bottom place finish in 1975-76 led to another return to the Kent League where they went on to be crowned as champions in 1977-78 and 1989-90.

A runners-up spot in 1991-92 was as good as things would get as the club fell into decline on and off the pitch, with finances a major concern. Bottom place finishes followed in 1995-96 and 2001-02. The club failed to complete the 2002-03 season.


The Kent FA suspended the club for non-payment of fines, while the custodians of the club pointed the finger of blame in several directions. Salters Road fell into disrepair as vandals caused huge damage and the pitch quickly became overgrown.

The club trustees tried to come to some kind of agreement with the custodians over the ownership of the ground and club. The Faversham Town Independent Supporters Club built up their membership, despite not having a team to support.


The organisations’ committee agreed to work with trustees to rebuild the club as the ownership dispute was settled and volunteers assembled to try to repair the ground. A new club constitution was written as the hard work continued.

After a herculean effort Salters Road was restored with new floodlights installed. The club competed and finished as runners-up in the Kent County League in 2005-06 which led to promotion back to the Kent League.


The management team of Justin Luchford and Jimmy Strouts took over team affairs to stave off the threat of relegation. Progress continued as Town lifted the league title for a fourth time; in 2009-10 to gain promotion to the Isthmian League.

The major local brewers helped a hand in 2010 as Salters Road became known as the Shepherd Neame Stadium after a sponsorship deal. Ray Turner took over as manager from Luchford in March 2011.


In 2012-13 Town reached the Division One South play-offs; defeating Hythe Town before going down to Maidstone United in the final. Ambitious plans were announced in 2014 to upgrade the club home including the building of new changing rooms.

In 2014-15 the team returned to play-off action, where Merstham ended dreams of promotion with a semi-final victory on penalties. 2015-16 saw a fifth place finish. Dorking Wanderers were disposed of in the play-offs before Worthing proved too strong in the final.


The new changing rooms were opened in May 2017 while the clubs’ youth development scheme continued to flourish. League re-organisation saw Faversham placed in Division One South East for the 2018-19 season.

Manager Turner stepped aside early into the season with joint-bosses Phil Miles and Dan Chapman appointed as his replacement in November 2018.

Faversham Town FC will play in Isthmian League Division One South East in the 2019-20 season.


My visits

Friday 16th July 2010

I was on annual leave from
work so I decided after plenty of research to have a day’s groundhopping in North Kent. I had already called at Ramsgate, Margate Whitstable and Herne Bay before arriving in Faversham. 



It was somewhere I’d changed trains at previously without leaving the station. I set out in the opposite direction from the town centre, down towards the main London Road. I walked as if in the direction of the coast, past a nice looking pub, before seeing the signs for Faversham Town FC in a hedge on the opposite side of the road. 

I went down Salters Lane, which was quite a narrow thoroughfare, before turning left after a few yards and entering the club car park. Inside by the entrance to the clubhouse I came across a group of three folk having a tea break while sat by the goalmouth, while having a break from their jobs of tidying up the ground. 



One friendly gent was mainly a Brentford fan. We had a good chat about old days, and he was genuinely sorry when I explained what had happened to Scarborough FC. I had a look around and took some photos.

The London Road Side had a long low stand containing seats and standing for spectators. The food bar was alongside it with a nice open picnic area next to it. The near end had flat open and covered standing as well as the clubhouse. 



The far end consisted of practice pitches. The right hand side had a corner section which was obviously new containing facilities with a small stand alongside it. The players emerged from this stand which had cricket ground style benches in front. 

A league regulation had deemed this seated area out of bounds a fence was fitted at the rear to stop anyone having access to the match officials. I was taken into the clubhouse and shown pictures of how the ground looked before the local enthusiasts weaved their magic. 

Salters Lane was now a nice well looked after facility which was a credit to those who’d put in the hard yards for the club.



Back in town I had lunch at the newly opened Wetherspoons pub, The Leading Light on Preston Street, where I had a relaxing bite while trying out a couple of local ales before commencing to my next port of call at Sittingbourne.

Faversham epitomised exactly why I enjoy seeing new towns, pubs and meeting the wonderful caring people who keep their local football clubs going. I looked forward to visiting on a matchday.



Faversham Town 1 Hythe Town 0 (Tuesday 27th August 2019) Isthmian League Division One South East (att: 263)



It was a case of decisions decisions as I awoke following my stretch of night shifts at work. It was time to relax and enjoy a game of football and ideally a few nice beers. Debut visits to Horsham YMCA or Southall who were sharing at Ashford Town were other options.


However, I plumped for a ride to Kent as I went on a wild goose chase to try and find a shop willing to carry out maintenance on my laptop in North West London. It ended fruitless, meaning I was lumbered with a heavy bag in hot conditions.


Grabbing some comfort food, I headed to St Pancras where a ride on the mega quick Javelin train appealed. With Faversham the final destination, it meant I could nod off without fear of ending up in the wrong place. My body clock after nights has been known to be unpredictable!

Since me previous call the micropub was in vogue. Faversham had two on Preston Street by the station. It was time to explore, and before long I was in Furlongs Ale House where a nice pint of Ilkley Pale Ale was appreciated in a homely establishment.


The Corner Tap was not really my cup of tea. It was pleasant enough and had a decent selection, but it was a tad pretentious for me if truth be told. The Whitstable beer was in decent enough fettle mind.

It’s amazing how time flies when you could do with a bit more of it; like in a town with decent pubs, yet it goes agonisingly slow at work. Before I knew it, it was time to cross the bridge over the railway and make my way down a series of alleys to come out near the stadium.


Admission was a tenner with a decent programme a couple of quid more. The friendly chap by the desk sold me a Golden Goal ticket. My luck had been out of late. Unfolding the paper and seeing “84 minutes” on it didn’t convince me things were about to change.

The teams were out on the pitch warming up. I required cooling down, so I headed to the clubhouse. Fortunately, punters were allowed to take their drinks outside, as the room was sweltering. I selected a pint of Yardbird and headed to the far side seated stand.


The new changing room block had been built since my previous visit, with the small stand now removed. While not as aesthetic, it was obviously a huge addition to the facilities. The temporary toilets had also now gone, to be placed in the new build.

A wider selection of seats was available down at the far end. I settled down and put an accumulator bet on the League Cup games, as well as predicting a home win in my game. Before the sides came out the announcer had me raising my eyebrows.


Now don’t get me wrong. I love the earthiness of non-league and its volunteers. It’s great to hear local accents, and sometimes inadvertent errors. I wasn’t impressed by the mickey taking of some of the names by the Faversham gent. “Embarrassing” as the bloke behind me said while shaking his head.

Both sides had been eliminated from the FA Cup the previous weekend. The visitors from the coast looked to be favourites going into the game despite my bet. They certainly started on the front foot as Tom Carlton fired over in the early stages.


This was followed up by a Ben Fitchett headed that was glanced wide before a Mitchell Chapman header for Faversham went across goal and wide. Ryan Nicholls was then in the right place to make a comfortable save from a Chapman shot.

The hosts were finding form. Next up Anthony Adesite delivered a good cross which was headed wide by Max Morgan. Hythe came close on nineteen minutes when Stephen Okoh linked up with the impressive Carlton; whose low cross was put just wide by winger Aaron Simpson.


Simpson cut in from wide before drilling a shot past the near post just before the half hour mark before Carlton saw a shot go just over the bar. Okoh also shot just over, as he volleyed a cross from Ryan Cooper.

The experienced Frannie Collin saw a low free kick turned around the post by Lillywhites goalie Luke Watkins on the stroke of half time. The pacey Makhosini Khayne got some room when chasing onto a ball before firing wide.


Khayne then made room for James Miles to deliver a cross which Adesite shot; forcing Nicholls into a fine save. Collin missed a guilt edge chance when heading over from six yards. It wouldn’t have been undeserved. As the whistle blew I was on the end of some bad luck.

I’d bought a 50/50 draw ticket. The number was read out and I was just one out. The fella near me giggled as I let out my frustration in as much humour as I could muster. The £88 prize would have been most welcome.


In the home official’s seats to the left, a lady was on the phone celebrating. She confirmed she had the winning ticket. Fair play, as she’d bough two. If only it had been one! I headed off for a lap of the venue for a proper look to stretch my aching knee.

The snack bar had been busy earlier and was still doing a brisk trade. I was hungry so bit the bullet and opted for a steak pie and waited my turn. The lady with two lads assisting was grafting away doing the hot food while they poured the drinks.


I thought I’d been forgotten about until I heard her say the pie was nearly ready. It was well worth the wait. Now, I’ve had pies of all sorts and consider myself a bit of a connoisseur. This was a beauty and right up there with as good as I’ve ever had.

The meat was succulent, in perfect pastry and tasty gravy. It’s amazing how many grounds get it wrong with overcooking or just microwaving. The lady at Faversham knew what she was doing. I admired her greatly!


Back in the seats I looked on as a fine home move including Morgan and Adesite led to Miles having an opportunity which he scuffed; allowing Nicholls to save with ease. At the other end Collin fed Okoh, whose drive was saved by Watkins.

The keeper was called into action once again to save from Simpson. Next up Carlton fired just over from twenty yards. The dangerous Okoh saw another effort go wide as the game approached the final ten minutes and really grabbed my attention.


Was I going to be in luck with my Golden Goal time? Was I hell! Adesite teased me finding a decent position before blazing over. My pal in the seats suggested it had been a decent enough game but 0-0 was probably the right score. I had to agree.

No sooner than I had so then Faversham produced a fine winner in stoppage time. Khayne released substitute Donvieve Jones who in return fed Khayne to score into the corner to set off wild celebrations among the passionate home fans.


I had read somewhere that Faversham are believed to be the only club side in the country to have three lions on their club badge. Well, the team certainly showed fighting qualities as had their loyal supporters in the past to save their club from death, so I suppose it was pretty apt.

The home side applauded the fans down the side, who reciprocated. The lady in the snack bar; which also welcomed Hythe Town in a nice touch on their board, thanked us for our attendance. I really liked the vibe around the club.


My train wasn’t until just before 10pm so I took the longer route back. The Elephant pub was duly noted for any return visit. I certainly wouldn’t discount that idea. Unfortunately, my service was slightly late and busy but I still made it back for last orders in Kingsbury.












No comments: