Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Monday 9 September 2013

Romulus



Romulus FC are a non league football club, whose origins come from north Birmingham. The club were formed in 1979 by Roger Evans, Peter Fleet and Ken Powell along with several parents for the best youngsters in the area to play Sunday football at Penns Lane in Sutton Coldfield.

Players such as Dean Sturridge, Luke Rogers, Darius Vassell and Zat Knight represented Romulus at junior level, while senior football was introduced to the club. The youth structure continued to provide players for the men who went on to succeed in the local Sunday set ups.











A switch to the Midland Combination and Saturday football was made for the 1999-00 season under player boss Richard Evans. Success continued as promotion to the Premier Division was sealed at the first attempt, with Romulus being based at Vale Stadium, in the Castle Vale area of Birmingham.

In 2003-04 ‘The Roms’ were crowned as Midlands Combination champions, earning a promotion to the Midland Alliance. Around this time, with another promotion on the horizon, Romulus moved into Coles Lane to share with Sutton Coldfield Town.

The Roms former Vale Stadium home

After finishing runners up in 2006-07, Romulus were promoted to the Southern League Division One Midlands. After three mid table finishes the club were transferred to the Northern Premier League Division One South for the 2010-11 campaign.

After a decent opening season, The Roms struggled in the next two campaigns.











Romulus FC will play in the Northern Premier League Division One South in the 2013-14 season.


My visit

Romulus 4 Scarborough Athletic 2 (Saturday 7th September 2013) Northern Premier League Division One South (att: 171)



After going up to Scarborough the previous week and seeing them dismantle Ashington in the FA Cup, I headed for Sutton Coldfield in optimistic mood. I’d only had a few hours shut eye after night shift, but the sun was shining and the train ride comfortable.

My mood darkened at Birmingham New Street station as my scheduled train simply didn’t turn up, despite the insistence that it had from the platform assistant. I wasn’t the only mystified customer. Despite this I was at my destination just gone 2pm with my football accumulator placed on my IPhone.











I saw a couple of familiar Boro fans at the station, but I went on ahead in search of the ground. There was something special about wandering through a town I hadn’t previously visited as I took in the shopping precinct while following directions closely. Romulus attracted double figure gates and with a large Seadog following expected in addition to it being Non League Day I expected a larger crowd, so I wanted to secure a programme.

After paying my £7 admission along with an extra quid for a very basic programme I surveyed the scene as I walked around behind the goal to the clubhouse. For a full description of Coles Lane, please go to the Sutton Coldfield Town page at: http://worldgroundhoptwo.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/sutton-coldfield-town.html











My old pal Fred Firman was sat inside the bar with several other away fans. We had a pint of Greene King Revolver, which was of dubious quality, before heading out as the teams were in readiness for kick off. We decided upon a seat in the stand. We were amused by the posters around the ground for the game advertising the visit as Boro as a former 'League' club.

The view was terrific as we looked down on the action. The artificial 3G pitch appeared to slow the game down, as the ball kept low and held up from through passes. Romulus had got off to an excellent start to the season and were obviously used to the surface.











This was especially noticeable when they took the lead on fifteen minutes. A ball looked to be heading for a goal kick, but a Roms forward crossed for Luke Keen to head home. This was a bit harsh on Boro, who were equal to Roms, even if they were missing the cutting edge that had undone many a defence in the previous season.

Eventually Scarborough were rewarded just before the interval when Gary Bradshaw fired home James Bennett’s wayward effort. The consensus at the break was it was a fair scoreline and all was to play for. Sustenance by the way of a sensibly priced hot dog with onions at £1.50 and a quid for a cup of tea were taken on board as we went down the far side. This is where the majority of the Seadog fans were assembled. They must have numbered around 130, which was very impressive for the distance involved.











Romulus went back into the lead when a scuffed shot was turned in by an even weaker effort by the impressive Marcus Brown who seemed to wrong foot Jason White in the Boro net. Despite this, all was to play for. The home keeper Matt Coton was perhaps lucky that the referee was in generous mood soon after. He was penalised for holding the ball too long in his hands. As a Boro player tried to grab it to take a quick free kick, Coton kicked it away. It could have easily resulted in two yellow cards, but the official settled with a caution for the relieved custodian.

Boro’s misery was confounded as Brown walloped in another while on the run with twenty minutes to go with heavy rain beginning to fall. Roms made it four eight minutes later as the visiting defence were outdone for pace not for the first time, leading to an exposed White having to come out to try and thwart another attack, leaving Tyrone Amory to slot into an empty goal.











Boro boss Rudy Funk had once again rung the changes to try and get some attacking impetus for his team who looked one paced and were set up with leading scorer Ryan Blott stuck out wide. Admittedly, the team were in their relevant infancy together, but the system was not working. The only discernible tactic appeared to have midfield maestro Bryan Hughes trying to pick out remote, static and marked colleagues in forward positions.

In a show of defiance centre back Paul Foot was sent up front. Roms packed their defence, but at least Boro panicked them a little at last. Skipper Foot headed home in the last minute of normal time as Boro continued to press. It was the urgency that appeared to be missing for long periods of the encounter, but in the end it was too little too late.














Thankfully the torrential rain had subsided before the end. While waiting for Fred I stood below the open window of the away team dressing room. It’s fair to say that it was hurting the team as much as us fans.

I said my goodbyes and bumped into a friendly home official outside who was most gracious in victory and complimentary about the Boro support. As I boarded the 5.20 train I thought my luck was changing. My first six results on my football bet had all come in. I quickly searched Twitter knowing that a Margate victory at home to Leiston would net me over £195. In true form the game had ended 1-1.


 








After a walk around the much improved Birmingham city centre I boarded the 6.10 back to London. I saved some time by getting off at Watford Junction to take a train to Wembley Central and then a bus home. I was indoors by 8pm for some additional sleep to the one I’d had on the way before my night shift.


It had been a disappointing day, but I was able to put it into perspective after the awful news the day before of a friend and former colleague taking his own life at a tragically young age. I had tomorrow to look forward to. RIP Big Dan.










No comments: