Saturday 12 September 2009

Radford




Radford FC are based in the inner city suburb of Radford in Nottingham and were formed as a Sunday League club as Manlove & Alliots in 1964. In 1970 they became Radford Olympic and in 1977 became the first amateur club in Britain to be allowed to wear advertising on their shirts.













Since becoming a Saturday team they have appeared in the East Midlands Regional and Central Midlands Leagues, before becoming founder members of the East Midlands Counties League for the start of the 2008-09 season.

Radford FC will compete in the East Midlands Counties League in season 2014-15.


My visit

I arrived at Selhurst Street, home of Radford by tram on the afternoon of Wednesday 16th September 2009. I had previously been in Hucknall and the excellent service dropped me off at Radford Road station as the trams run down the street.

The scene which greeted me was straight from an inner London suburb. It was vibrant to say the least with a wide range of ethnic foods available yet no pubs! Selhurst Street is a little side street off the main road which leads to the end of a housing estate. Sadly, but surprisingly given the surroundings, the gates were firmly locked. However, I managed to see through the railings at several points to get a view of the ground.













The Radford Road End is where spectators gain admission and it houses the changing rooms and clubhouse. It has two narrow stands, one with seats and the other with standing while the players emerge between them. The Selhurst Street side has another covered standing shelter for fans while the rest of the ground is open flat standing. The far end has some room if money was available for development if ever required.

I really liked something about the ground. It is hemmed in but it has atmosphere. It is of great credit to the fans and officials of Radford FC that the club keep going in an area where you'd think are are very few traditional football fans. I would definitely go to watch games there, but if it was on a night I think I'd make sure I went with a mate!





















No comments: