Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Thursday 12 August 2010

Enfield Town


Enfield Town FC was founded on 23 June 2001 by the Enfield Supporters' Trust after trust members decided that those in charge of Enfield FC didn’t have the clubs best interests at heart and they weren’t trying to return the club to its home town.

This followed the sale of Southbury Road stadium and Enfield
FC’s chairman, Tony Lazarou reportedly pulling out of an outlined agreement that would have seen the trust take over the running of a debt free club with £100,000 from the sale of the ground, with the chairman taking the balance of £600,000.


At this time the club were in the second tier (Isthmian Premier League) of non league football. The new club began life three divisions lower in the Essex Senior League, sharing Goldsdown Road with Brimsdown Rovers FC so they remained within the Borough of Enfield. 

In their second season they won the championship, but were denied promotion as the facilities at their ground did not reach the required standards. Planning permission was soon attained so that could be rectified in future years. 


Another title was won a couple of seasons later which saw the club promoted into the South East division of the Southern League. This meant playing against Enfield FC.

In June 2007 Town’s chairman, Paul Millington offered an olive branch in the direction of Enfield FC who were about to have to reform because of debt, suggesting in an official statement that the two clubs' pooled resources and fan base could "return the name of Enfield to the top of the non-league world”. However, the Enfield players, officials and supporters rejected the offer and formed a new club of their own, Enfield (1893).


In October 2008, Enfield Council announced a deal with the club allowing the club to relocate to the Queen Elizabeth Stadium, close to Enfield F.C.'s old Southbury Road home. The club hopes to be able to move into the new ground in 2010. 

Chairman Millington described the deal as “momentous”. He went on to say “It is fantastic news that we will have our own stadium from 2010. I am confident Enfield Town can show what a supporters-run club can achieve by producing a first class stadium for the benefit of the whole community.


In May 2009 'The Towners' entered into an innovative PASE scheme in which young footballers go to an academy to learn football and to study to gain vocational qualifications. The scheme Town entered into had already been set up by Boreham Wood FC.

Following the end of the 2009-10 season, the club was awarded a grant of £81,504 by the Football Stadium Improvement Fund towards the first phase of works on the new ground at the Queen Elizabeth Stadium. However, they still stated that they intended to make use of their thirty year lease at Brimsdown, basing their youth team there.


At the end of the 2010-11 season Town left Brimsdown and took the stands that they had installed at the ground with them to fit in at the QE. For the beginning of the 2011-12 season the club played at Theobalds Lane, the home of Cheshunt FC, until moving into their new home in November 2011.

Town obviously liked their new home as they went on to promotion within a few months of moving in via the play-offs after seeing off Grays Athletic and then Needham Market under loyal manager Steve Newham.


Town struggled in the Premier Division until the goals of the experienced Scott McGleish steered the side away from the relegation zone. During the 2013-14 campaign Newham was replaced by former Enfield FC boss George Borg, who would last around a year before departing in controversial circumstances after making alleged comments to opposing fans during a game.

Bradley Quinton came in as the new manager hoping to lead the team to greater fortune after a couple of poor finishes. Town finished the 2015-16 season just outside the promotion play-offs.


Quinton's side reached the play-offs in 2016-17, but went down in the semi-final away to Dulwich Hamlet. The manager departed with his staff and several players to join Braintree Town.

Former Chesham United manager Andy Leese and his assistant Darren Purse arrived at Donkey Lane as the new management team during the summer of 2017. His side improved in his first two seasons at the helm with tenth place the finish in 2018-19.


When the 2019-20 campaign ended early owing to the outbreak of Coronavirus, the Towners sat in seventh position.  

Enfield Town FC will play in the Isthmian League Premier Division for the 2017-18 season.


My visits


Sunday 5th November 2006

On a bright winters morning
I decided to have a good wander around North East London by tube and bus and have a mini groundhop. One of my destinations was to be Goldsdown Road. Ironically I passed the site of the old Southbury Road stadium that I’d been to see a few games at on the bus. I gained access into the ground with no problem.



It was a neat but basic venue encircled by a large metal fence and a turnstile block in one corne
r. The majority of the area was a mixture of grass flat open standing, save for the necessary path around the pitch. 


A reasonable sized modern roofed seated stand was to the right. Opposite was a small shed like cover, which was the only remnant from the days when Brimsdown Rovers were the only side playing at the ground. There was also one of the typical new small roofed terraces behind the near goal.

At Brimsdown

Enfield Town 2 Aveley 2 (Tuesday 3rd August 2010) Pre Season Friendly (att: approx 80)


I decided to keep in the mood for watching games as I was on early shift at work and it seemed a shame to sit at home doing nothing. After a brief siesta I took a tube and then two trains to arrive at Southbury station.


I cut through the industrial estate and onto Enfield Playing Fields which joins the site of the old Southbury Road Stadium and the Queen Elizabeth II Stadium. I wanted to go inside and have a look but it was all locked up. I wandered around and got a view from a public footpath at the far side. It certainly showed plenty of potential.


I was pretty certain that Town were looking forward to moving closer to their roots at the newly refurbished stadium. A new athletics track had been laid with the old art deco stand and changing rooms being tarted up during 2010.


I awaited my first visit for a match at the Queen Elizabeth II Stadium with great anticipation, especially as I had attended one of Town’s first ever games in July 2001 at Tilbury.

I went out onto Carterhatch Lane where a bus soon arrived to drop me off at Brimsdown station. I took the small walk up to Goldsdown Road and settled outside the clubhouse to enjoy a pint. 



I was keen to visit Goldsdown Road to see ETFC this season before they moved to the QE II Stadium, a hefty clearence from their old much missed Southbury Road home the next season.

Brimsdown Rovers hit financial worries in the summer of 2010 and amalgamated with Enfield FC taking their name, meaning both Enfield clubs used the ground during 2010-11.



I was stood at the bar pre match when a young bloke called Matthew in an ETFC shirt commented on my Boro top. He turned out to be a member of Scarborough Athletic's Back 2 Boro Facebook group. Town were his non league club, while his main team was Barnet. 


His Grandad lived in Scarborough and he’d been to quite a few games on visits. He told me his Grandad, Geoff Adams and his brother Don represented the old club (probably reserves or A team as I can’t find their names in the club history book). He was able to give a decent unbiased appraisal of what was going on with the two Enfield clubs.

The game itself wasn’t bad. Town raced into a two goal lead. They were members of the Northern Division of the Isthmian (Ryman) League while their Essex visitors played in the division above. 


The standard of football wasn’t disimilar to what I had witnessed in the Northern East Counties Premier League, apart from it being quicker. Aveley pulled one back while we were having a half time pint in the aging clubhouse outside the ground.

The hot food there made nearly as much smoke as I had experienced in the portakabin at Brodsworth the previous season. Town sold cold food inside the ground. I though a ham sarnie and a bovril for £1.60 was top value.



Town dominated the second half forcing the visiting keeper into some good saves. I missed the last minute equaliser to catch a train back into the city. The match was decent value for a fiver. A teamsheet was issued for 50p with funds going towards the stadium refurbishment appeal.

At Queen Elizabeth II Stadium

Enfield Town 1 Leiston 0 (Saturday 21st April 2012) Isthmian League Division One North (att: 602)



As is the norm when I’m on nights, I looked for a game I could get to and still get a couple of sleeps either side. The Isthmian League fixture planners managed to schedule second placed Town to play leaders Leiston (pronounced Layston). 


The Suffolk side lost last week meaning Enfield started four points behind them in this penultimate league fixture.


I had my sleep and then set off on a bright and breezy day, which promised the occasional shower. After three tube rides I went upstairs at Seven Sisters. I'd just missed a train to Enfield Town, but the Station Assistant assured me that I'd be OK jumping on the Southbury service which was due. 


After walking across the field and industrial estate I arrived at the stadium at just gone 2pm while listening to the dull Arsenal v Chelsea match on the radio.


Town had moved into the renovated Queen Elizabeth Stadium earlier in the season. The local council had been a massive help to them. Grants were sourced and having a running track actually helped with the Olympics looming. 

It justified the council getting behind the project. The club also raised money themselves and were helped when a lifelong Enfield man left some money in his will.


It cost me a reasonable £8 to get in. A friendly gateman wished me a good day as he noticed my Scarborough Athletic jacket. Once inside Town had a loyal team selling programmes and 50/50 tickets also offering a warm welcome. 

Early impressions can make your day, and the Enfield crew were doing all the right things. I went upstairs to the clubhouse which is part of the main structure at the stadium next to a raised seated stand. The clubrooms and facilities are downstairs.  


The building is an Art Deco style listed structure and they’ve done a cracking job redecorating it from what I was told was a real mess before they moved in. 

I looked out of the back window to where I'd seen many games across the fields and then to the front where a pristine playing surface looked a picture inside the teracotta coloured track. On the near side there were several open raised steps of terrace. 

Each end had a covered area on the track so that fans were close to the action. The far side had a modern low seated stand. There was certainly potential for expansion around the place.


It is often the case when I wore my Boro jacket that I would get into an occasional conversation, but it seemed nearly everyone wanted a chat about how we were now doing and our old battles. 

Andy, the bloke who took my money on the gate had been relieved of his duties and came for a drink and introduced me to Paul and several other fans. They were very proud to have the club ownership in their own hands and that they were sustainable. 


Both also had season tickets down the road at White Hart Lane so we ended up having a good chat and laugh about all manners of the beautiful game. The clubhouse was packed out and it was good to see they had Sky installed to encourage fans in. The staff behind the bar worked their socks off, with the steward working as hard as I've ever seen.

While in conversation, I asked about the chances of both Enfield clubs merging and becoming united once more. The general view was that t was pretty pointless. Offers had been made by Town, but were spurned by those connected with the other club. 

It was pointed out that Enfield 1893 had to be reformed and weren't the original club. They were down to crowds of less than 100 since the QE II was opened. Former players and staff were attending Town games of late and the local community were starting to get involved again.


When I went outside to the balcony in the first half an official chatted to me and then introduced me to legendary former Enfield manager Eddie McCluskey, who was wearing an FA blazer. He was a real gentleman who again asked all about Scarborough and The Athletic Ground. 

It was also nice to see former skipper Steve King in attendance. The friendly official suggested a friendly when Boro moved into Weaponness. The welcome from everyone was really first class, and I recommend anyone at a loose end in that area gives them a try. Tom Hall from Supporters Direct introduced himself at half time and offered his best wishes.

The game was tense as expected with chances at a premium. The Leiston keeper made a good first half save and the home side missed a couple of half chances but the half ended scoreless. I went back upstairs at half time to see the scores before going back out to continue a conversation with some fine Leiston fans. 


There was no sign of a goal. The Suffolk side seemed happy with the draw they needed to secure the title and were somewhat lacking in ambition. Then in the final minute of the match the previously excellent Leiston keeper came out and made a silly challenge on the edge of the box as the Town player was heading away from goal. What he was doing there in the first place was a mystery, and one that allowed the away support opportunities of feedback. 

The penalty was stroked home by Liam Hope sparking jubilant scenes. It means that Town had to win away to Grays Athletic the following Saturday and hope that Leiston dropped points at home to Potters Bar, or it would be play off football for them.


It absolutely hammered down as I left the stadium and I got drenched through. Even that couldn't stop me smiling. I had a great day out at a progressive and friendly football club. I certainly intended to return in the future!

Enfield Town 4 Metropolitan Police 0 (Tuesday 12th February 2013) Isthmian League Premier League (att: 255)


Having had my original choice of games for my article for the Scarborough Athletic programme abandoned owing to the weather the previous evening at Wealdstone, I scanned the fixtures the next day with a re-visit to Enfield standing out and kept up to date via Twitter to make sure that my trip to furthest north east London wouldn’t be wasted.


It was certainly cold as I alighted at Enfield Town station after a couple of tube and train rides at around 7pm. Andy the friendly gateman gave a warm welcome after remembering me from the previous season. 

Town seem to be that kind of club and I was delighted that the club were experimenting with £5 admission for a couple of midweek games. This particular fixture had been put off earlier in the season, and the £2 programme was the same issue with a four page insert.



The bar was thankfully warm and selling a guest ale from the Rebellion Brewery and gradually doing an improving trade throughout the week. Several screens were showing the Celtic v Juventus game, and some of the Town fans had stools in the window to watch their own side.

The home side went one up within five minutes when Adam Wallace turned in a nod down following a corner after an almighty scramble had led to the set piece. In recent weeks Town had acquired the services of thirty nine year old striker Scott McGleish who had seen service at Barnet, Leyton Orient and Colchester United amongst others. 

He was rattling in the goals in his new home and did so again with a fine finish to double the lead with just twelve minutes on the clock.


The Police, with Sir Trevor Brooking’s brother Tony as club secretary tried their best to force their way back into the game, although Town looked good on the counter attack. The pitch at the QE II really was a credit to the groundsman, especially as the reserves and ladies side also used the surface.

Andy caught up with me for a chat to catch up on how Boro were faring this season in the warmth of the bar at half time. He was naturally disappointed by the poorish gate, but the figure wasn’t a disaster as a crowd of 506 had attended the Middlesex derby with Wealdstone three days before. 



He also told me that striker McGleish had been secured as he was good friends with manager Steve Newing.

The Met continued to have the upper hand in the second period, but the home defence were holding firm. It was turning into a good game, in a league that I’ve generally enjoyed over the years. An audacious shot from the home side hit the post from forty yards with not long to go. They grabbed the initiative and added a third through substitute Michael Bardle on eighty five minutes.


This was the signal for me to make a move as I wanted to catch the half hourly train at 9.52. In the final minute McGleish added his second and apparently nearly completed a hat-trick, but he was denied by the visiting custodian Jamie Butler, who’d had a decent game.

It had been an enjoyable and worthwhile evening having seen a good game in the flesh and keeping up with defeats to Celtic and Leeds plus a win for Hull City. I ordered a battered sausage to go with my chips on the way to the train!

Enfield Town 3 Harrow Borough 0 (Tuesday 15th December 2015) Isthmian League Premier Division (att: 216)



My regular travel mate Tony Foster picked me up on a mild but wet night at Stanmore station so we could head to this decent looking game. The traffic was not good as we tried to get onto the M25, but Tony used all his ingenuity to beat the queue. We were all parked up by 7.15.

Admission was £10, with a decent programme a further £2. I had my Scarborough Athletic rain jacket on, so it was nice that the regular gate man recognised me even though it was the best part of three years since my previous visit. That’s what I really like about non-league.


We had time for a drink upstairs in the clubhouse. The Rebellion Ale was lively but in decent nick. We decided to take up a position in the small desolate seated stand on the far side for kick off. Because of the sparse crowd we could stand up at the back.

Despite all the rain, the pitch was in marvellous condition. Both sides were keen to utilise it as the game began at a decent pace. The first clear cut opportunity came when the Boro centre back Michael Peacock slipped allowing E’s forward Corey Whitely a clear run on goal. He was thwarted by Conor Hudnott in the visitors goal.


At the other end the Town custodian Nathan McDonald produced a fine stop to keep out Spencer McCall. The home side took the lead when Harry Ottaway, who was not short on expletives, dithered but scored when his weak shot was deflected home.

We were enjoying the end to end encounter. Both Harrow winger Michael Bryan and big centre forward Marc Charles-Smith were impressing. At the break we bought hot drinks at just £1 from the club cabin by the gate rather than from the catering truck.



We returned to the same vantage spot for the second half as the rain came and went. The pitch was playing superbly and didn’t cut up at all. Town made it two on sixty five minutes when an excellent cross from Bobby Devyne was headed into the bottom corner by Evans Kouassi.

Boro kept going and had just as much of the play, but they failed to carve out a really clear chance. A terrible back pass header was intercepted by Devyne, but his shot hit the post. Soon after the same forward beat the offside trap and finished with aplomb to make it 3-0.


Charles-Smith squandered a good chance to pull a goal back, before a header hit the post. The big forward saw an excellent effort inadvertently blocked by one of his own players on the way into the net. It was that kind of evening for Harrow.

There hadn’t been much in the game, but the home side took their opportunities. 

We were out of the car park in no time and I was back indoors before 10.30 after been dropped back at Stanmore. The traffic had been negligible. It had been a good game to choose in a division generally offering decent entertainment for money.

Enfield Town 1 Hendon 3 (Tuesday 17th January 2017) Middlesex Senior Cup (att: 140)



As I was on annual leave I decided to head a little earlier to this game than usual and go for a good walk in London after having lunch with my good friend Ross Sullivan, on a lovely but cold winters day in the capital.

The mulled cider in the Back Page pub near to St Paul’s was most welcome before I caught the tube to Liverpool Street and then the Overground to Turkey Street in good time. A further walk down the Great Cambridge Road enhanced my appetite, just at the right time.


My plan was to enjoy a meal at the Toby Carvery near to the ground. I was a little dismayed to be told that they were full to capacity for at least forty minutes. Plan B was to have a beer and some food in the ground.

It was good to see Andy manning the turnstile as usual. The welcome at Town was as warm as ever. The bar had a decent local Redemption Ale on tap as other Hendon fans began to arrive. I headed downstairs before kick off to order a burger to enjoy from my position behind the goal.


Hendon were struggling in the league, but were showing big signs of improvement; especially since the signing of new goalkeeper Tom Lovelock. The weather was getting cold as a frost started forming on the pitch.

Lovelock badly injured his foot in an early challenge, but he bravely continued while defenders took turns with goal kicking duties. Hendon took the initiative and went close with a brace of Marcel Barrington efforts and one from Dave Diedhiou.


Attacks flowed from one end to the other in an entertaining but blank first half as we headed upstairs to warm up at the break. Karl Oliyide had looked dangerous all night for the Dons so it was no surprise when he capitalised on a Mark Kirby error to lob Enfield keeper Nathan McDonald.

The custodian had to be on top form to deny the same player just a few minutes later as Hendon looked to take control. However, Oliyide was not to be denied on sixty five minutes as he made it 2-0 with another neat finish.


The Towners kept going and could have pulled a goal back as Percy Kiangebeni wasted a couple of opportunities; the second of which looked comical from our vantage point at the other end. Barrington fired a couple of efforts just over the bar for the visitors.

Keagan Cole unselfishly set up Oliyide for his hat trick before the ever impressive Harry Ottaway netted a consolation for Enfield before full time. The visiting fans were happy; not least me after having a punt on Hendon at 7/2.


At full time I cut through the alley and crossed the main road to catch a bus down to Turnpike Lane before catching the tube back to Kingsbury in time for two or three nightcaps while regaling my pals of a fine victory and day out.

Enfield Town 2 Maldon & Tiptree 2 – Maldon win 4-3 on penalties (Wednesday 9th December 2020) FA Trophy First Round (att: 335)


I was on early shift at work for the week, so when Tony said he’s bought a ticket the previous Friday and was driving I got my skates on to purchase my ticket online for £11. We got a very good tie for our money on an increasingly cold night at the QE II Stadium.

The first half saw the E's attack, most notably Billy Bricknell thwarted by Jammers keeper Ben McNamara who had a fine half while his side had occasional spells up front of their own, led by the stereotypical big lad in Adam Vyse.

Showing just how much I have learned in my fifty odd years as a spectator I commented to my pal Tony that I thought one goal would win it. The Towners again offered more in attack in the second half before going ahead on fifty eight minutes.

A long throw from veteran left back Lee Chappell, who was later named as man of the match, reached the near post where Jeremiah Gyebi leaped highest to head home. Eight minutes later a cross from Chappell was met at the back stick by Sam Youngs who headed in.

Substitute full back Makhosini Khanye would surely have been disappointed with his efforts in trying to deny the scorer as his boots appeared to be planted in cement, such was his lack of a jump.

“Que sera sera, we're going to Wemberley” sang the home faithful behind the goal. While such a melody happily took me back to my youth when this was a semi regular event at the old club, on this occasion it would prove to be mightily presumptuous.

The catalyst for change came when the very tall Shomari Barnwell replaced Vyse after the goal, immediately offering a pacier outlet for Maldon who were never really out of the contest. With thirteen minutes of normal time remaining McNamara made yet another in a continuing string of saves, again from Bricknell.

The ball quickly went forward where Barnwell received a pass in the channel and fired home with great ferocity, though Towners custodian Nathan McDonald got his bearings hopelessly wrong. The ball didn't just beat him at the near post. It entered the net nearly in the centre of the goal.

We made our way round from the far side towards the exit, though I did suggest that I foresaw a sting in the tail. Maldon looked dangerous on the break and Enfield continued to look for a third goal.

It looked like the E's had done enough to get over the line but in the third minute of stoppage time a cross took a slight deflection which seemingly disorientated the first defender who missed his header. The ball was collected by the impressive Hamza Kaid who remained calm to slot home.


Penalties were taken at the A10 End and saw the visitors win 4-3 after Enfield hit the woodwork with two efforts while Maldon's Khanye completed a night he'd probably prefer to forget by blasting over before Sam Cornish sent McNamara the wrong way with the decisive kick.

Tony and I just about thawed out by Stirling Corner on the way home. But it was worth the slight discomfort.





No comments: