Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Monday 21 June 2010

Bridlington Trinity


Bridlington Trinity FC was formed in 1935. They played for many seasons in local league football, before becoming members of the Yorkshire League in 1960, playing their home games at Queensgate.


The 1960’s were a halcyon period for the club as they lifted the Division Two title in 1962 before becoming Yorkshire League champions in 1964. They finis
hed runners up to their neighbours Bridlington Town in 1967, only to lift their second title the following season. 

The club became members of the Midland League in 1973 and finished runners up in 1980. Trinity were founder members of the Northern Counties East League in 1982.

Trinity carried along steadily until Bridlington Town were taken over by businessman Ken Richardson, who became their President. He was already the Chairman of Doncaster Rovers so he couldn’t hold the same title at two clubs. 



Photo: with thanks to Bob Lilliman.

Richardson took on the lease of Queensgate and improved the ground. At the same time he changed Trinity’s tenancy arrangements at the termination of their previous lease, leaving them with no home and forcing them to fold in the summer of 1990.

Some locals refuse to enter Queensgate despite Richardson leaving Bridlington Town after taking them to play home games at Belle Vue, Doncaster and the club reforming.


My visits

Bridlington Trinity 0 Scarborough 5 (Wednesday 28th October 1970) FA Cup Third Qualifying Round Replay (att: 1,600)


I was a young kid at Hinderwell School when my Dad appeared and told the teacher that I had a dental appointment, or something along those lines! We stood on the small slope behind the Queensgate End goal.


To our left was an old Main Stand with seating and a smart little gate at the front for the players to enter from. Opposite was a small shelter for fans wishing to stand up. The rest of the ground consisted of flattish standing, much of it grass.

The crowd was officially 1,600. I know the memory can play tricks, but was it really? I got to have a game at half time in the goal mouth with lots of other lads. How times change!

Boro ran out easy winners in the end and went on to beat Ferryhill Athletic before going down in the First Round Proper to Football League Workington, who had a fledgling John Burridge between their sticks!



Photo: with thanks to Bob Lilliman.

Bridlington Trinity 0 Goole Town 2 (Saturday in September 1980) FA Cup Second Qualifying Round (att: c100)

I went to this game with a schoolmate by service bus and enjoying a day out in Brid at the same time. The ground hadn’t changed from what I could remember as Goole ran out comfortable winners to progress to the next round. For some reason Trinity, who had always played in green and white were in maroon and white for that game.


Bridlington Trinity 0 Belper Town 5
(Monday 12th April 1982) Midland League (att: 80)

I had originally planned to go on the Scarborough supporters bus for the Easter Monday clash away to Stafford Rangers, but there wasn’t enough to justify taking the coach when I arrived at the Wallace Arnold garage in Columbus Ravine.
I went home and it was decided that rather then wasting the day, I’d go to the Midland League match at Bridlington and take my youngest brother Nick with me for the a day out.

We had a great time, well certainly better than the Trinity defence!
We sat in the old Main Stand which by then had seen better days. It was a neat old structure with a little press box above where the players came out. We laughed as any ball hitting the stand would shower the seats below in rust from the roof.



If anyone has any images of Bridlington Trinity FC or Queensgate before it was redeveloped and would like to share them with me and any readers, please get in touch with me.







No comments: