Saturday 12 September 2009

Radcliffe Olympic





Radcliffe Olympic FC are based in the large village of Radcliffe on Trent near to Nottingham. Olympic were formed in 1886 making them one of the regions oldest clubs.

The club have performed in many local leagues over the years, the most prominent being the Notts Alliance and the Central Midlands League. In 2003 Radcliffe Olympic amalgamated with local Club AFC Dayncourt to create one of the biggest Clubs in Nottinghamshire.












The 2008/09 saw the biggest success in the Club’s long history by winning the league in one of the most exciting run ins in many a season. All the hard work on the pitch hard paid off and after a positive improvement each season the reward was promotion to the East Midlands Counties Football League Premier Division.

Radcliffe Olympic will play in the East Midlands Counties League in season 2014-15.


My visit

My Nottingham Boro based mate, Pete Moss had kindly taken me to some outlying grounds when he asked where I wanted to be dropped off on Wednesday 16th January 2009. I had plenty of time left before my superb value £5 train ticket back to London. Keen though I was to sample some real ales in the city's numerous excellent pubs, it was still a bit early and the weather was pleasant. He dropped me outside the City Ground and I walked up to Trent Bridge Cricket Ground to get even more value from my explorer bus ticket.













Radcliffe on Trent was a charming large village with nice lanes, country pubs and plenty of greenery. I found Wharf Lane and walked down to the Recreation Ground. It was a really nice venue but lacking in facilities to what I would expect from a Step Six ground in the non league pyramid.

The pitch sat below a hill with a playground with no perimeter fencing as such and just a single rail around the pitch. Behind one goal was a building which housed the changing rooms. The roof overhung and had two rows of bench seats in front although they were some distance from the pitch and at an angle away from it as well.

I wish Radcliffe Olympic well and I really liked the village. However, I feel very sorry for clubs who play at the same level who have had to construct stands and fences to gain admission into the league's.

The ground graders have been criticised by many people over the years. I see nothing wrong with having a set standard and decent facilities for spectators in the twenty first century. However, they must be consistent rather than occasionally turning a blind eye just to fill league places.












 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments: