Trafford FC
Ground: Shawe View
Capacity: 2,500
Club Founded: 1990
League: North West Counties League Premier Division (current level)
Trafford FC has established itself as a Step 4 non-league club in west Manchester over several years, before hitting a bump in the road.
Club History
Early Years
The club, originally called North Trafford FC, is based between the towns of Urmston and Flixton. They began life in the Mid Cheshire League, where manager Dave Law took the side to promotion to Division One at the first attempt, as the club secured sole tenancy of the Shawe View ground, which had previously also hosted games of Trafford Borough RLFC.
Trafford were accepted into the North West Counties League (NWCL) for the 1992-93 season, changing to their current title a season later when they were promoted to Division One of the competition while the necessary ground improvements were completed. The NWCL title was won in 1996-97, leading to promotion to Division One of the Northern Premier League (NPL).
Ups and Downs
Mark Molyneaux replaced Law in November 1998, who had been the manager of the club since its inception. Joey Dunne and then Mike McKenzie took turns as manager, with the latter being in charge when Trafford were relegated in 2002-03. Danny Johnson arrived as the new manager a few months later.
Back in the NWCL, Trafford Ged Kielty was appointed as player-manager at the start of the 2007-08 campaign. The side romped to the NWCL title, eleven points clear of their nearest challengers as Andy Lundy scored the goals.
Back to the Northern Premier League
Former Trafford player Garry Vaughan arrived as manager in the summer of 2009, gradually putting together his own side. They won promotion to the Premier Division of the NPL after winning the playoff final against Cammell Laird.
Graham Heathcote was appointed as manager in January 2015, but was unable to keep the side up as they were relegated to Division One North. This led to Tom Baker being given the reins, taking his side to the playoffs and lifting the NPL League Cup in 2017-18.
Recent Years
In June 2020, Danny Calecott replaced Baker as Trafford were placed in Division One West when the Northern Premier League was restructured. The side put together a couple of mid-table finishes before manager Caldecott headed off to Clitheroe to be replaced by Karl Marginson. Baker returned for a second spell as manager in October 2025.
The team was relegated to the Premier Division of the North West Counties League at the end of the 2025-26 season.
My visit
Trafford FC 0 Altrincham 5
Friendly - Tuesday 20th July 2010
👨👨👧👧 c200 🎟️ £6
I was in Greater Manchester on the second of three days groundhopping and generally enjoying life in the area and had marked this game off a week or two earlier whilst scanning the Non-League Paper.
I arrived at Shawe View extremely damp after being caught in a torrential storm in nearby Flixton. Because the transport links to my hotel were poor, I decided to carry on regardless. The twenty-minute walk had warmed me up a bit, and I wasn’t entirely sure the game would be on, but I went along so I could take photos of the ground anyway before heading home.
The A4 four-page folded programme warranting “whatever you think suitable”. How nice and a massive change from Brigg Town who charged £1 for a similar issue. I gladly put 50p in the bucket.
My first impression was how glad I was that I made the effort. Shawe View really was a smashing little ground and an absolute credit to those who tended to it. The people at the club were nice as well. It makes such a difference when the raffle ticket seller is polite without being pushy.
Down the Shawe Road side were the entrances and a grass bank for spectators with a portacabin clubhouse and a small seated stand with changing rooms. The far side had a long cover with seats at the front and flat standing at the rear. A nice cover behind the Urmston End goal completed the scene.
I had previously read about the ground in the excellent Fred Eyre book, “Kicked into Touch” as it was at Shawe View his Manchester City career was ended as that was the venue where 'City' “A” team played their fixtures back in the ’50s and ’60s. I was delighted to get inside the snug and most vitally warm clubhouse for a pint of smooth-flow Boddington’s.
I read the programme. Free newsletters were also available. The catering at the ground was done by the type of local middle-aged ladies that seemed to run catering at every non-league ground back in the day but were seemingly being replaced by franchises which had silly prices to match.
The game was very competitive on an immaculate playing surface, which probably benefited from the downpour. We had a couple of showers throughout the game, so the ball skidded around. Trafford gave it their best shot and looked good in patches before defensive howlers let them down, which was ill-advised against Alty’s more experienced, fitter and clinical lineup.
It was 3-0 at half-time, which soon became four after the break despite Altrincham making mass changes during the interval. Trafford continued trying and tightened up at the back before the final goal went in near full time.
I enjoyed the game and my surroundings. I just wish I’d been a little more comfy and not so damp! I caught a train from the nearby Chassen Road station to the city, so I could connect with a tram back to my hotel in Sale. I had an early night and turned on the radiators in my room to try and dry everything out for my third day of adventures.
I enjoyed the game and my surroundings. I just wish I’d been a little more comfy and not so damp! I caught a train from the nearby Chassen Road station to the city, so I could connect with a tram back to my hotel in Sale. I had an early night and turned on the radiators in my room to try and dry everything out for my third day of adventures.

.png)








No comments:
Post a Comment