Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Thursday 1 July 2010

Grimsby Borough



Grimsby Borough FC were formed in 2003 originally playing local football. However, in 2009 they made the leap into the Northern Counties East League, playing their home games at The Hawthorns, home of Brigg Town.

In 2010 Borough moved to their home town and began playing at the Grimsby Community Stadium on the outskirts of the town.



 













Grimsby Borough will be playing in the Northern Counties East League Division One in the 2012-13 season.

My visit


It was Friday 9th July 201
0 and I was staying in Grimsby overnight. Earlier in the day I had called in on one or two grounds and was going to the Brigg Town v Grimsby Town pre season friendly later that evening. I was originally going to leave the walk to Borough's new ground until the Saturday morning as I had some time to kill and I had a feeling there would be some beer to walk off.

However, owing to the Winterton bus from Scunthorpe not going to plan I caught the train straight to Grimsby Town station.




What I hadn't realised was that the Grimsby Community Stadium was still being constructed. It looks like it will be very impressive and ideal for a club of Borough's standing once completed.
There was a fully fenced artificial pitch which could be used as a full sized pitch or divided into smaller areas. It had floodlights and on the far side was the brick wall of the stadiums main buildings. Perhaps some seating may be added in due course?

Round the other side was the main pitch, which was growing nicely. There was a water tanker, so it looks as though rain water will be collected to water the pitch. There was a wooden fence around three sides f the ground, topped by high wire fencing to keep any stray balls inside the ground. A rail fence enclosed the pitch with newly laid concrete surrounds.














The final side was still being worked on rigorously by plenty of workmen. It was a long brick building where presumably all the facilities would be based. There was also plenty of room in front to provide spectator facilities.

I walked back to the main road and fortunately a bus was soon along to take me back to Grimsby town centre.









I stayed in the County Hotel close to the station, and after dropping my bags off I headed off to the Community Stadium.

It soon became apparent that this was a fair walk out of town, but it was a beautiful day and I had my ipod to keep me entertained. I walked around a mile along Laceby Road, when I saw an open recreational area with floodlights in the distance.

No comments: