Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad, Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see Volume Two of HAOTW, which covers everything non English.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Thursday 22 August 2019

St. Leonards



St. Leonards FC was a non-league football club representing the town of the same name on the Sussex coast who were formed in 1971 by employees from the Sussex Turnery and Moulding Company; playing friendlies as STAMCO.


The club competed until the 2003-04 season when they folded under the name of St Leonards FC owing to mounting debts.

The club shouldn’t be confused with other incarnations of clubs with St Leonards in their name, which can be read here in the complicated local football account involving the history of the current Hastings United page.


STAMCO became members of Division Five (East) of the Eastbourne & Hastings Football League for the 1971–72 season before progressing to Intermediate level within four years and then the Premier Division for the 1977-78 campaign.

STAMCO made the move to the Southern Counties Combination while playing at Pannel Lane, a few miles out of town. The team were crowned as Division Two in their debut season of 1992-93; finding a place in the Premier Division and going on to win two league titles in three years.


Progress continued as money was invested at a time when Hastings United were also spending. A place in Division Three of the Sussex County League was secured for 1988-89 as STAMCO finished as runners-up to win promotion.

A further runners-up berth in 1992-93 in Division Two led to a place in the top flight of the County League. The club moved into The Firs; the former ground of Hastings Town; positioned on Elphinstone Road above the Pilot Field.


Works were carried out on the ground with much timber being used from the main club sponsors. 1994-95 was a memorable season as crowds flocked to The Firs to see a club on the up. The team ended as Sussex County League runners-up as well as embarking on a fine cup run.

The FA Vase saw STAMCO beat Whitstable Town, Leatherhead, Shoreham and Tiverton Town before falling away to Canvey Island in the fifth round. The team included former Football League stars Jimmy Gilligan, Steve Gatting and Mike Trusson.


Another former League player Gary Chivers enrolled for the following season with STAMCO finishing in second place once again. By now Croft Glass had come on board as a major sponsor, so the club changed their title to St. Leonards Stamcroft in the summer of 1996.

The club had gained a place in the South Division of the Southern League; who insisted on a reference to the club locality in their name; hence the addition of St Leonards. Further improvements were made to The Firs in readiness.


Yet another runners-up place followed; this time behind Forest Green Rovers leading to promotion to the Premier Division. However, the jump proved too big; both on the pitch and financially as their parent company withdrew some of the funding.

The team were relegated after just one season; 1997-98. Once the attraction of a continually winning side and less glamorous signings diminished, the crowds also dropped; with some returning to the Pilot Field to cheer on Hastings Town.


The club changed name once again; this time to St Leonards FC who were placed in the Eastern Division after one season for 1999-00 ensuring local derbies with Town for the following three seasons with ‘The Saints’ struggling while Town were crowned champions in 2001-02.

That success hindered St Leonards further before they finished bottom of the table in 2002-03 and were relegated to the Sussex County League, where mounting debts eventually defeated the club who folded during the 2003-04 season; with their playing record expunged.


My visits

Tuesday 12th December 2007


I was enjoying a week away from work and decided to visit some non-league football venues on the Sussex coast to take some photograph and broaden my horizons calling at previously unvisited towns.

Despite my left knee giving me trouble, the cold but clear day was ideal for exercise to try and get it back in shape. The undulating walk to the Pilot Field; which was far further than I anticipated.


I’d already called into the grounds of Lewes, Eastbourne Town, Eastbourne United Association, Eastbourne Borough and Bexhill United before arriving into Hastings so a bus would have been a more prudent option in hindsight.

The good news was that access was possible into The Firs. Part of the old pitch was now covered with a caged five-a-aside astroturf pitch; meaning the chances of any other club moving in would be unlikely.


The Firs really was a quirky venue, and one I liked, albeit now being in a semi-dilapidated condition built into the steep incline of Elphinstone Road. The side by the road had the seated stand raised high on banking above the pitch.

The top end had a thin area of open flat standing built into the hill with a covered area further up some steps. The other side was a combination of flat open standing and a covered terrace towards the top half.


The thing that really appealed to me was the amount of timber in the construction. Each path or fenced off section was built in wood; as were the covers. It must have been quite a sight with over 1,000 fans in attendance during the Vase run.

Once I’d taken my snaps, I walked down the hill to the Pilot Field, where a kind gent allowed me access as we had a nice chat about the complicated past of Hastings football. It had been some effort to walk up there, but well worth it.


I decided to take a bus back into town and walk past where the majestic and historic old Recreation Cricket Ground once stood and to the prom. A final walk took me past the pier and on to St Leonards, where I caught the train back from Warrior Square to London.

Saturday 27th July 2019


The final day of my weeks summer break offered the opportunity to take in the pre-season friendly between Hastings United and Dorking Wanderers as well as updating my photo collection of The Firs; as I’d lost some during a laptop malfunction a few years previously.

This time common sense prevailed as by coincidence me left knee was giving me problems once again. The bus was definitely going to take the strain. It took me from Priory Meadows to Down Road from where it was a short walk uphill to the ground.


Some lads were having a kick about in the cage but didn’t seem concerned with my presence. I found a hole in the fence near the covered standing and had a good wander around the overgrown venue which was now missing the stand and cover behind the goal.

It was an eerie feeling walking around the ground which had seem some previous history. Care was certainly needed in some areas with slippy steps as the rain fell and where some wood and concrete had badly deteriorated.


Satisfied with my work, I continued down a path which led to the Hastings United Sports & Social Club before returning to Elphinstone Road and go to my afternoon match.







No comments: