Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad, Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see Volume Two of HAOTW, which covers everything non English.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Friday 4 August 2023

The Stanks (Berwick)

The Stanks is a historical site in the town of Berwick-upon-Tweed in Northumberland close to the border with Scotland. Indeed, the town’s football clubs are members of the Scottish FA and compete in their league and cup structure.

An Elizabethan rampart in the town has a grass area inside them. This is called The Stanks, which means a swampy piece of land or ditch in Scottish language. The area was previously a defensive moat between Brass Bastion and Windmill Mount Bastion.

In the shade, the area would often ice over, providing a perfect area for fishermen to dig out ice they required to keep their salmon at the right temperatures for their journey and to stay fresh before being sold in London.

From 1922 the annual Berwick Infirmary Cup was competed for on the football pitch that is marked out. Unfortunately, it does not meet the required size for FA and SFA regulations to competition is limited to unofficial tournaments.

Several thousand spectators are known to have attended the 1929 final between Eyemouth Rangers and Belford. In 1959 the Berwick Charities Cup, which is competed each year between May and July, with most games kicking off at 6.30pm.

The competing teams are put together from pubs or groups of friends or businesses. The cup was close to being abandoned in 2017 with only nine teams wanting to take part. Fortunately, a publicity drive has since seen an increase in participation, which included the Women's Shield.

Between £5,000 and £8,000 was said to be raised for local charities from 2020 with local dementia, cancer care, pensioners, strokes, and a local school among the beneficiaries in 2023 with the presentation of funds being awarded at the Berwick Bowling Club.

My visit

Tuesday 13th July 2021

As part of a week off work I decided to visit several places across England that took my fancy and tried to see sport along the way. The previous day I was washed out at Chester-le-Street where cricket was meant to take place.

It led to a long day drinking with good friends before taking the bus to Newcastle where I stayed overnight. Covid restrictions were gradually ending, but not all fixtures were back to full capacity after the pandemic.

I had hoped to see a game at The Stanks, but the Charities Cup had finished a week or so before. Instead, I made do with a good walk around the town and over the bridge to visit the Shielfield Park home of Berwick Rangers.

 

Back in town I had lunch and then settled on the ramparts to relax for a while before taking photos of this most incredible venue where spectators are known to look down on the action from great heights. I would have been down on the level standing for sure.

It was somewhere most photogenic, as was much of the old town, which I enjoyed before taking my train back to Tyneside where there was time for a quick snooze and then fine ales before heading off to the friendly between Hebburn Town and Whitby Town.





No comments: