Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad, Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see Volume Two of HAOTW, which covers everything non English.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Thursday 28 September 2017

1874 Northwich











1874 Northwich FC is a non-league football club who were formed on November 15th 2012 at a meeting at Lostock Social Club in Lostock Gralam, near Northwich held by the Northwich Victoria Supporters Trust.


Northwich Victoria had been formed in 1874; hence the new clubs name, and had been suffering from all kinds of issues; which can be read about here. The Trust members decided that enough was enough and voted to create their own new club.

The words Victoria or Vics were omitted from the options in the potential club name presented to members to avoid further legal issues. The motto ‘Ever Glorious’ was chosen as it was one used by the Cheshire Regiment who had links to the old Drill Field ground of Northwich Victoria.


The club was registered with the Cheshire FA in January 2013 and accepted as members to the North West Counties League for the 2013-14 season a few months later, in Division One. A groundshare agreement was agreed with Winsford United for 1874 to use the St Lukes Barton Stadium.

Ian Street was appointed as the first team manager of the club; as his side finished their debut season in third place and missing out on promotion. However, Formby resigned from the league, so ’74 went up to the Premier Division in their place.


Third and fourth place finishes in the Premier Division followed, before Street resigned in March 2017. He was replaced by coaches Wayne Goodison and Paul Bowyer who became joint-managers as the side lifted the Mid Cheshire Cup by beating Northwich Victoria as well as a fifth place league finish.

The 2017-18 campaign saw a magnificent run all the way to the FA Vase semi-finals, beating the likes of Tow Law Town and Chichester City on the way before losing 4-2 on aggregate to Thatcham Town, along with a seventh place league finish.

1874 were clear at the top of the Premier Division when the 2019-20 season was abandoned owing to the outbreak of Coronavirus after they had moved to share Townfield with neighbours Barnton FC. They were also handily placed for a crack at the title was the 2020-21 campaign was halted early.

1874 Northwich FC will play in the North West Counties League Premier Division in the 2020-21 season.


My visit

1874 Northwich 1 Congleton Town 1 after extra time (Sunday 25th September 2017) FA Vase Second Qualifying Round (att: 313)


I’d kept a close eye on developments in football in Northwich for a year or so before ’74’s formation, when there was real upset at the way that Vics had been run. I’d seen Northwich Victoria several times take on Scarborough in the past, so I knew just what fans were going through.


The story had an almost perfect symmetry with what had happened in Scarborough; only our old club went bust and those who defended its running formed Scarborough Town to oppose the Trust run Scarborough Athletic.

I could see the same regretable arguments taking place the other side of the country. It was an enormous shame that football supporters once united in their loyalty and support could be split by mismanagement of a historic club.


I’d written a post for the online forum in support of those on the side of the Vics Trust and kept in touch of developments through social media. As luck would have it I was in Liverpool for a long weekend as ’74 were to play a home game on the Sunday.


Karl, my travelling companion understood my eagerness to head to the match; probably knowing full well I’d be in bed early if I drank with him all afternoon! We’d enjoyed a good walk around the superb city before enjoying lunchtime ales in The Vernon Arms and Excelsior.


The train from Lime Street to Winsford only took just over half an hour. The walk was a good fifteen minutes from the station. I went straight to the ground and paid my £6 admission where I received a warm welcome. The programme was another couple of quid with the draw ticket £1.


Barton Stadium once staged greyhound racing, with the track now redundant with one or two out buildings still in evidence. The place had character to it, but needed some serious money spending to update the facilities.

The Main Stand had a few rows of seats with a glassed area behind part of the cover, with a bar behind. The far side had a long low cover for standing spectators. The rest of the ground consisted of open flat standing around the curve of the old track.


My pre match fodder came courtesy of Deb’s CafĂ©; where an excellent steak pie, chips and gravy was a very reasonable £3.50. I could think of several other non-league venues where such value would have been appreciated.

Visitors Congleton played in the same division as their hosts, and were led by former ’74 boss Ian Street. I expected that would add a little bit of extra edge to the game. Northwich were in fine form having dumped North Ferriby United out of the FA Cup seven days earlier.


The home fans were certainly an enthusiastic bunch of all ages. There was plenty of encouragement and chants for the ’74 and Northwich. It took me back to Scarborough Athletic’s fledgling days while sharing at Bridlington Town.


The home side nearly went ahead early doors, but visiting keeper Andy Jones managed to keep out a miscue from his defensive colleague Jonah O’Reilly. ’74 forced several corners in quick succession before their keeper Greg Hall made a good save from former Northwich player Neil Chappell.


Hall nearly gifted the Bears the lead with an awful clearance, before retrieving the situation with a good save. However, on thirty six minutes the visitors took the lead when a low cross from Declan Fletcher was clumsily put over the line by Emini Adegbenro.

Northwich were stung into action and equalised just a few minutes later as an excellent low drilled corner from Adam Whitlock was turned in neatly by Jake Parker as the Congleton defenders stood around seemingly transfixed by the move.


At the interval I caught up with Twitter buddy and loyal 1874 fan Mark Riding who gave me the lowdown on the difficulties of trying to get a ground in their home town and their hopes for the following weeks FA Cup tie at home to Ossett Town.


Town nearly regained the lead soon after the break as Adegbenro went close once again. They were the more direct of the two sides. ’74 played some decent football along the deck on a sometimes tricky surface.


The impressive home striker Scott McGowan bore a resemblance to Jamie Vardy in his style of football and build. He rounded Jones but saw his finish go wide of the far post. He also missed a really good opportunity when he didn’t connect properly with a header.

Chances were at a premium as the half entered its closing stages. Whitlock was played in with a lovely ball from Parker, but his touch was missing allowing Jones to prevent a late winner. The match finished level and went into extra time.


The game was end to end as players tired. McGowan went close once more as 1874 forged out the better of the chances. Just after half time ion the second period I headed back so that I could definitely catch my train. The game apparently ended with Jones keeping the scores level.

I’d enjoyed my afternoon out in new surroundings and it was great to see the fans doing the right thing. The club was well organised and friendly. It was also good to have a chat with Mark. I’d certainly be keeping an eye on how 1874 progressed.


Back in Liverpool I got changed as the rain fell and met Karl for a magnificent if blurry evening including visits to the Cavern Club, The Grapes, White Star, Flanagan’s Apple before finishing off in the Cavern Pub; where The Jailbirds performed.


The band from Manchester played covers from the 1950’s and 60’s and were magnificent. It rounded off a simply brilliant two days in the city and roundabouts. I’d done two new grounds; Skelmersdale and Winsford as well as seeing two great vibrant clubs; 1874 Northwich and Scarborough Athletic in action.





No comments: