Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Saturday 25 September 2010

Salford City


Salford City FC is a professional football club based in the Manchester suburb of Kersal, formed in 1940 as Salford Central FC, initially playing local league football. In 1963 the club changed its name to Salford Amateurs FC, joining the Manchester League

Salford adopted the nickname of ‘The Ammies’ at the same time. Local cup competitions were won in the subsequent fifteen years before the club moved into their Moor Lane home in 1978, moving into the Cheshire League in 1980 following a restoration of the ground.


Another local club; Anson Villa FC joined forces at the same time before Salford became founder members of the North West Counties League in 1982. Following a restructure of the league the club was elevated to Division One in 1987.

The club became Salford City FC in 1990, before being relegated to Division Two a couple of years later. The team regrouped and won promotion at the first time of asking. A runners-up spot in 2007-08 saw City go up to Division One North of the Northern Premier League.

Then and Now. The old turnstiles to Moor Lane

Gary Fellows had managed the side to promotion but departed in October 2008 to be replaced by Ashley Berry. Moor Lane installed improved floodlights, acquired from Manchester United when facilities at Old Trafford were upgraded.

Berry lasted just a couple of months before Paul Wright was appointed as the new manager. The new man led the team to secure league safety, remaining in charge until February 2010 when Chairman Darren Quick took over the team management.


Quick gave the player-manager job to Rhodri Giggs soon into the 2010-11 campaign. The team ended the season in mid table; which was emulated in 2011-12. Giggs resigned with Darren Sheridan becoming the Ammies new boss in May 2012.

Andy Heald took over from Sheridan in January 2013, lasting until the end of the season until joint-managers Barry Massay and Phil Power were put in charge of the team. Local businesswoman Karen Baird took over as Chairman from Quick.


In March 2014 news broke of a proposed takeover of the club by five members of the Manchester United “Class of 92”, with Ryan Giggs, Gary Neville, Phil Neville, Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt looking to take control with Baird remaining in the chair.

The deal went through before a 50% stake in the club was sold to Singapore–based billionaire Peter Lim. By now Power had taken over as sole manager before he was sacked in January 2015 and replaced by another set of joint bosses; Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley.

Then and Now. The old Main Stand at Moor Lane

The duo led the team to the Division One North title with former Premier League star Danny Webber and his strike partner Gareth Seddon banging in the goals. In the 2014-15 campaign City reached the play-offs.

Ashton United and then Workington were defeated at Moor Lane to secure a place in the National League North. The Ammies were featured in the BBC One series Class of 92: Out of Their League, which would lead to a second series.


The club also reached the first round of the FA Cup for the first time in 2014-15. Live TV cameras showed games in front of 1,400 capacity crowds, with Notts County being seen off before a draw against Hartlepool United. The run ended in front of more TV coverage in the replay.

The 2016-17 ended in play-off agony after FC Halifax Town won on penalties after the tie ended level on aggregate. Huge works had taken place at Moor Lane; which was opened as the newly constructed Peninsula Stadium by Sir Alex Ferguson in October 2017.


City were crowned as champions of National league North in 2017-18 with Jack Redshaw leading the scoring charts before joint-managers Johnson and Morley departed by mutual consent over a disagreement. Experienced Football League star Graham Alexander was appointed in their place.

Adam Rooney was signed from Aberdeen as City threw the cash at their promotion ambitions. The move paid off with Salford reaching the play-offs; where Eastleigh were defeated in a penalty shoot out.

In the final at Wembley, AFC Fylde were defeated 3-0 thanks to goals from Emmanuel Dieseruvwe, Carl Piergianni and Ibou Touray, as Salford City went up to EFL League Two. David Beckham invested a 10% stake in the club from Peter Lim.

In the final at Wembley, AFC Fylde were defeated 3-0 thanks to goals from Emmanuel Dieseruvwe, Carl Piergianni and Ibou Touray, as Salford City went up to EFL League Two. David Beckham invested a 10% stake in the club from Peter Lim. Alexander was replaced by Richie Wellens in November 2020.

The side just missed out on the playoffs in 2020-21 as Gary Bowyer was appointed as manager before the seasons end. Neil Wood came in as his replacement in May 2022, taking the team to the playoffs which ended in semifinal defeat to Stockport County.

Karl Robinson was the next man in the managerial hot seat from January 2024. Matt Smith’s goals weren’t enough to achieve much else apart from a midtable finish.

Salford City FC will play in EFL League Two in the 2024-25 season.

My visits

Wednesday 21st July 2010

I was in the Greater Manchester area for three days of fun and adventure visiting football clubs, new places and historic pubs.


I had been on a train ride up to Atherton before returning and alighting at Salford Central station as I wanted to call in at the Ammies and a bus was needed to take me up the Bury New Road. I got onto the number 98 watching out for Moor Lane. Ten minutes later I'd arrived.


It seemed a decent area and I was a little confused when I saw a sign for the ground pointing down Nevile Road, which didn't seem like a road that would have a ground entrance. However, I went for it and before long I was passing a school and walking through the gates.


There were a couple of gents surveying the scene and a groundsman cutting the pitch who came over for a chat. he was fine with me taking pictures of the ground. Moor Lane had suffered badly from vandalism in the past, with the offices and social facilities being victims of an arson attack.


The ground now was nice enough and offered great potential if the crowds ever picked up and required extra facilities. There was a nice wooden Main Stand with other facilities alongside. The far side had banking with a cover on the half way line. The rest of the ground was open and consisted of grass and hard standing.



The Ammies had done well to reach the standard they had, but at the time I thought that they had probably gone as far as they can unless they somehow find spectators from the local community.

How little did I know! I went on my way on back on board the 98 over the motorway towards the Stainton Park home of Radcliffe Borough.

Salford City 1 Port Vale 1 (Saturday 17th August 2019) EFL League Two (att: 3,770)


It was time for me to re-complete the ninety-two League grounds after City’s promotion. How they’d progressed in what seemed like five minutes since they hammered Scarborough on their way through the league’s.

Within a few weeks of the new season I got the perfect opportunity; with a weekend off before recommencing night shift back at work in London. Salford were at home and the Scarborough Cricket Festival was to begin the following morning. I could visit both.


With my hotel booked at the Salford Quays Travelodge and a full belly after an excellent fry up at the Bridge Café in West Hampstead, I boarded the train at Euston ready for some quality time on the road; and boy did I desperately need some.

We arrived late into Piccadilly, so I made the decision to put my bags into left luggage in the station rather than heading all the way to the hotel. My left knee was giving me plenty of pain, but I was keen to keep giving it some exercise.


It was a lovely early afternoon, as I walked through the city centre while listening to an intriguing Second Ashes Test from Lord’s. My destination was the City Arms on Kennedy Street; probably my favourite pub in Manchester.

It was busy with Man City fans fuelling up before their tea-time kick off against Tottenham along with shoppers and those just looking for a refuge for a drink. The Kodiak from the Bear Town Brewery was absolutely spot on. I hung around for a second before taking the tram to Shudehill.


A gent was checking the bus timetable at the interchange while holding a map. It turned out he was a Port Vale fan and the editor of their fanzine “Derek I’m Gutted!”. We got aboard the 98 bus with others heading to the match; having a nice chat as we went. How nice it was to be back up north.

We went through the travails at Vale Park and how that there was some optimism in the air after the couple who’d taken over were lifelong fans and being pragmatic and honest to fans. The desperate situations at Bolton Wanderers and Bury were also touched upon.


An Ammies fan behind told us to follow him so we knew where to get off. I thought we’d been pretty fair during the discussion on Salford’s investment and progression, but he thought we’d been a little derogatory. I reckon he was being slightly tongue in cheek.

We reasoned that the £10 admission was excellent value, but unfair on other clubs; including those in non-league who had to charge more to survive. Not everyone had the advantage of being a plaything for multi-millionaires.


It took less than ten minutes down Moor Lane and then Nevile Road to the designated turnstiles for those paying on the day. It was a most unlikely area to find a Football League football ground with pleasant houses and orthodox Jews wandering about their business.

Once inside the Peninsula Stadium; as Moor Lane had been retitled in a sponsorship deal, the facilities were good, if a little on the cramped side. The fan zone had lots of choice, from traditional drinks, to craft beers from the Seven Brothers Brewery at £4 a pint.


Food choices and pricing were also excellent. I went for the pie, chips and gravy option. I was in Lancashire after all! Other offerings came from an Indian stall, burgers and a sausage stand that gave plenty of options.

The supporters were certainly spending their cash on catering and at the club souvenir shop. My only negative feedback would be that there was only one way in and out of the terracing in the corner and the toilets were small for a big crowd.


Another excellent matchday feature was the music played before the game and at half time. Someone had put plenty of thought into it, and even issued a playlist on the club Twitter account. There was plenty of local stuff among it and most fitted my own preferred choice.

My first emotion inside the stand was the large cross pitch slope. The stands at each end were built in sections to allow for it. The pitch was in pristine condition. I made my way along to take a place at the far end and at the rear of the terracing. It was a good view.


Both ends were made up of terracing while the sides were seated; aside from a small section for standing along the back of the Main Stand for home fans. A continuous low roof wrapped around the newly built arena. It was very smart if a little identikit.

The away end was making the most noise and was full to its 1,400 capacity as the teams entered the pitch to the sound of “Dirty Old Town” by The Pogues. The end I was in was also busier than I think the stewards expected with fans stood in the walkways.


Click here to see a brief clip of the build up and the entrance of the teams.

Vale nearly went one up with just over a minute on the clock. David Amoo broke down the wing and put in a good cross to the back stick when a volley from Cristian Montano was saved by the legs of Salford’s former Vale keeper Chris Neal.

Amoo was taking a fair bit of booing from the home crowd; probably down to his Liverpool past. It certainly gave away who most Salford fans cheered down the pub. The strong wind was making things awkward out on the pitch for the players.

On fifteen minutes Ammies had a free kick around twenty-five yards out. It was rolled to Richie Towell who flicked the ball in the air with his first touch then volleyed inches over with his second. It was a tremendous piece of skill.


A few minutes later Nathan Smith put an effort over for the Valliants following a David Worrall corner. City went close on thirty-eight minutes as Joey Jones put in a low cross to Adam Rooney who saw his effort saved by Scott Brown who then smothered the rebound.

It was a fast game with both sides doing their best to play good football in front of a decent atmosphere. I’d enjoyed the first half but had greater concerns as I edged along to use the loos at the opposite corner of the stand and get my place back. It was remarkably trouble free.

City had a good spell at the beginning of the second half; but Vale looked a well drilled outfit. Worrall went close at the other end but dragged his shot just wide. On the hour mark Neal made a top class save to deny Vale skipper Tom Pope who put in a powerful downward header.


Towell responded with a curling free kick a yard over after skipper Rooney had been replaced. Substitute Thomas Walker saw a powerful shot headed heroically over his own bar by Vale defender Leon Legge.

With nine minutes remaining the excellent Worrall intercepted and broke through to play the ball to sub Richard Bennett on the edge of the area who fired in low at the near post past a distraught Neal to open the scoring. The away end went absolutely berserk; and included one or two intruders onto the pitch.

In the first minute of six additional minutes Bennett almost doubled the lead but was denied by the legs of Neal. It was to prove a vital miss as Salford equalised a couple of minutes later. A free kick was whipped into the box with sub Jake Beesley leaping to beat Brown to the ball and head home.


In truth it was just about right as Salford had plenty of play and pressure. Some Vale fans seemed aggrieved when being taunted by the home fans down the far end. The stewards seemed to do a good job in diffusing the situation.

At full time I left the ground through the top gate out onto Moor Lane. My plan was to beat the crowds and take a bus on Kersal Lane. How little I knew! My knee was really playing up by now. Therefore, I wasn’t massively impressed when Google Maps info changed constantly. No buses came.

It was as well that I wasn’t in a rush as I walked back along Moor Lane past the station and back to Bury Old Road. Fortunately, my day pass was accepted onto the express service from Burnley and I was soon back in the city.


The radio TMS commentary had kept me enthralled while I watched the football. It had been a dramatic couple of hours as Jofra Archer announced himself to Test cricket by felling the seemingly invincible Steve Smith with a bouncer. It could well have dramatic consequences.

The bus deposited me nearer where I wanted to be; even if I still did get slightly confused trying to find the excellent Lass O’Gowrie pub for a pint. I was getting tired so went to Piccadilly to collect my gear where I received bad news.

The tram service to the Quays was out of action due to engineering works; which was far from ideal. I took a service to St Peter’s Square from where I had a plan. I was slightly shocked that the tram contained plenty of Man City fans from the Etihad despite the match being still in progress.


The City Arms was still busy on my reappearance. It was most certainly an age thing, but I didn’t enjoy the noise created by a gang of lads. They were no bother; just drunk. All day drinking had ruined much in my view. Yes, people have always got drunk on a Saturday. However, in my day it was after a later start.

There’s nothing worse than gangs being drunk while you’re still sober. I have discovered that plenty of times while dealing with the general public while at work. After a fine pint of Odin from Brightside Brewing, I decided to head for my room. Cue more dramas.

The number 50 bus supposedly went close to my hotel. At its nearest point I stayed onboard as it was still a ten minute walk away. Instead I got out at the terminus; which was nearly twice as far. While the Quays looked pretty under the sinking sun with its new developers, I wasn’t in the mood to fully appreciate it.


Eventually I saw the neon sign atop the Travelodge across the industrial estate. It was a welcome sight. I’d never been so pleased to book into a hotel and my room was just what I needed. Before bed I needed feeding and my advanced research paid dividends. Well sort of anyway.

I’d seen that there was a hot food takeaway nearby, so off I searched, but without using my map App in a pique of complacency. I eventually returned after a further unnecessary and unwelcome walk. At least it was safer that twenty years previously! That would have been interesting.


The pizza certainly tasted better than its appearance. I was in bed and asleep after a cuppa before 10pm while away on a Saturday night with the sobering thought that Absolute Radio had played “Sweet Child of Mine” by Guns and Roses and announced it had been released in 1988. That really did make me feel old!

A great value Uber cab the next morning back to Piccadilly for breakfast and my early train to the North Yorkshire seaside followed as my trip to Manchester and Salford had set me up perfectly. You just can’t beat the north!








No comments: