Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Saturday 25 September 2010

Atherton Collieries

Atherton Collieries AFC is a non-league club from the former industrial town of Atherton in Greater Manchester. The club was formed by miners from the six local pits in 1916, with the initial aim of raising money for local people involved in the war effort, playing at Alder House.


‘Colls’ started their competitive life playing in the Bolton Combination before progressing to the Lancashire Combination in 1921; where the team won their second Lancashire FA Amateur Shield.

Colls returned to the Bolton Combination; winning the league title in 1936-37, 1937-38, 1938-39, 1940-41 and 1944-45 before moving on to the Manchester League for the 1945-46 season. By 1948 the club moved competitions once more; to the West Lancashire League.


Two years later Atherton became members of Division Two of the Lancashire Combination, but decided to return to the Bolton Combination after a couple of seasons. The move paid dividends as they were crowned as champions in 1956-57, 1958-59, 1960-61 and 1964-65.

The final triumph coincided with Colls lifting the Lancashire FA Amateur Shield for a record sixth time. In 1971 the club rejoined the Lancashire Combination. The 1978-79 season saw the club become founder members of Division Two of the Cheshire County League.


Non-league football was restructured in the early 80’s, with Colls becoming founder members of the North West Counties League; going on to be crowned as Division Three champions in 1986-87.

In 1995-96 Collieries finished as runners-up in Division Two and won promotion to Division One; which would be later retitled as the Premier Division for the 2008-09 season. The team had generally finished towards the lower end of the table, apart from a seventh place slot in 2006-07.


That side was led by Phil Brown, with striker Anthony Pilkington banging in the goals and earning himself a transfer to the Football League and Stockport County; eventually going on to star for Norwich City and Cardiff City and winning caps for the Republic of Ireland.

Colls were relegated in 2008-09, with Steve Pilling arriving as manager. Fortunes improved on the pitch with a couple of cups being added to the trophy cabinet, before Michael Clegg took over as manager and Colls won the First Division title in 2014-15 to return to the Premier Division.


After finishing in third place, Colls won the North West Counties League title in 2016-17 and promotion to Division One North of the Northern Premier League, as crowds continued to increase at Alder House as the side consolidated their position.


Atherton Collieries AFC will play in the Northern Premier League Division One North in the 2018-19 season.


My visits

Wednesday 21st July 2010

I was visiting Atherton on the final day of a very pleasurable few day’s adventures around Greater Manchester on public transport visiting football grounds as well as new places and lovely old pubs.


After calling at a locked Atherton Laburnum Rovers FC, I made my way across the town and eventually found the Alder House ground after a wrong turning. I was happy as I approached to find the gates open. The grounds car park appeared to be used by a nearby garage during the week.

It is fair to say that Alder Street had seen better days. It had been Colls home for their entire history and was showing signs of wear and tear. Once through the entrance in the corner the changing rooms and clubhouse were behind the near goal.


Down the right hand side touchline was a stand made up of old railway sleepers. A stand was also on the far side which had been fitted out with new tip up seats. The rest of the ground was made up of flat open grass and hard standing.

I set off into the small town centre to see if it was possible to catch a bus onto Daisy Hill. Unfortunately I had missed it by a couple of minutes owing to me taking a wrong turning. This disappointment was offset by me going back and gaining access to Crilly Park, the home of their neighbours.

Atherton Collieries 1 Hyde United 1 (Monday 16th April 2018) Northern Premier League Division One North (att: 278)


I’d recently returned from my annual cricketing holiday in Thailand and had plans to visit Scarborough Athletic’s home game with Brighouse Town as well as a couple of day’s cricket at Headingley booked in well in advance.

However, the harsh winter meant that plenty of football matches had to be fitted in before the end of the season. I re-arranged my plans once I realised that this particular match was rescheduled for the Monday evening.


The match was going to be highly significant as Hyde and Scarborough were going neck and neck for the second automatic promotion place, and even going up in third place owing to non-league restructuring.

The cricket never happened at Headingley owing to a wet outfield, which led to a very interesting weekend including Sunday rugby league at Wakefield Trinity before arriving in Manchester on an early train on Monday morning.


The plan was to watch the final day’s play between Lancashire and Nottinghamshire at Old Trafford, but the home sides capitulation led to me attending the 2pm under 23 clash between Crewe Alexandra and Crystal Palace.

Once back in Manchester I enjoyed a fine pint in The Old Wellington before taking the busy train from Victoria to Atherton. I’d received a heads up from fellow Seadogs on pub advice after their visit a few weeks earlier.


Sure enough the Pendle Witch offered fine ale from the Moorhouse Brewery at a very acceptable price. Decent music played in the background of a pub that could be best described as the set of Phoenix Nights.

After a couple of pints I weaved through the terraced streets to The Kensite Stadium, as Alder House had been retitled in a sponsorship deal, where I was charged a bargain £7 admission, with a bulky programme costing another couple of quid. I headed round to the far side to take a look at the facilities.


The clubhouse was cozy but had a lack of real ale, so I opted to have a pie and a tea for £3 from the small cabin alongside. Everyone seemed very warm in their welcome. Alder House may have not won any beauty awards but it felt like a proper football ground and it had received a tasteful facelift since my previous visit.

As the crowd began to build I decided to head to the open side where I got a decent view behind the subs benches from a raised section. Hyde kicked off going down the considerable slope, with their boisterous fans in the cover opposite me.


The visiting fans had engaged in some trivial, boring and OTT social media confrontation with Boro fans. I kept my woolen Scarborough hat in my bag. It was crackers. There I was. A 52 year old keeping my allegiances discreet as the Hyde fans repeated “We hate Scarborough”.

I really could do without confrontation at the end of a great few days on the road, lamenting just how sad it was that non-league football had lowered itself that far, and some Scarborough fans were just as guilty.


The visiting Tigers fans did get behind their side but their songs soon became tedious. They’d tried to copy ultra groups and other non-league clubs like FC United of Manchester with original chants. They gave the impression of being too cool for school.

However, their side were to soon give them great reason for cheer. Colls goalkeeper Greg Hartley had already made a decent stop before the referee awarded a penalty for handball against Danny Lafferty. Max Leonard sent Hartley the wrong way from the spot.


Luke Porritt was having a fine game out on the left for Hyde, while Marcus Cusani saw an effort curl just wide for Atherton. It was a decent enough game played at a furious pace on a tricky surface.

Hyde’s defensive partnership of Tyrone Gay and Paddy Miller had dominated in three matches against Scarborough, who had employed launching high balls. Colls got the ball on the deck and the stoppers looked far less convincing.


Hyde had real cause for complaint when centre forward Ben Deegan went down under a challenge that I thought was a clear foul. Neither the ref or linesman thought it warranted a foul, which would have certainly led to a red card. The Hyde bench were furious; and rightly so in my opinion.

At the interval I had a walk around the ground before going back to the same position for the second half. I was hopeful of Colls getting something from the game. They’d already had excellent home results in recent weeks against Boro and South Shields.


My wishes came true as the hosts put pressure on the Hyde back line. The equaliser came after the excellent Ben Hardcastle scored a penalty past Peter Crook after the ref spotted a push in the area.

Hardcastle saw a further effort saved by Crook before he saw his shot flash across the face of goal. Tensions were growing on the pitch as challenges went in with both sides looking for all three points.


Brad Cooke was sent off with nine minutes remaining after a shocking challenge on Porritt, despite huge protests from his Colls colleagues and bench. Substitute James Sigsworth was denied by Crook for the ten men before I headed off a minute into the five of stoppage time.

If I didn’t catch the 21.46 train I’d have to hand around for another hour. I didn’t really fancy that. The cheers of the crowd were still audible as I cut up Bolton Old Road towards the station. The refs whistle sounded loud and clear and I was a happy man!


On arriving back at Victoria I had a wait for my 23.45 bus back to London. I needed somewhere to charge my phone and have a decent pint. The Wetherspoon establishment in The Printworks didn’t solve the solution so I headed over the road.

The Hare & Hounds offered old school décor and a decent pint of Robinson’s Dizzy Blonde as well as some incredibly inadvertent entertainment caused by some extremely drunk locals who’d obviously enjoyed the hospitality.


One inebriated gent tried to woo a not particularly aesthetic but friendly barmaid by playing an old love ballad on her Spotify. She wasn’t enormously impressed and he would certainly be going home alone.

Rather than pursuing another pint I queued for the Megabus service over in Shudehill. The ride was only £11 but that’s all it should have been. I sat behind an old lad who’d travelled up to watch the speedway at Belle Vue on the cheap.


The rest of the passengers were made up of Africans taking calls from all points on the continent and drunks. We travelled via Leeds and down the M1. I got some sleep but found myself rather wedged in for much of the journey by the bottom of a large African woman.

My trek ended at Victoria Coach Station and then a tune journey home. I was due to start night shifts later that evening after heading out to watch the Middlesex Senior Cup Final, so the sleep during the day was most welcome.


The visit to Atherton rounded off a few excellent days on the road, and the result had been the icing on the cake!















No comments: