Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Tuesday 23 June 2009

Chertsey Town




Chertsey Town FC is a non league club based in the commuter town of the same name, which is located twenty nine km south west of London. The club were formed in 1890 as Chertsey FC, playing in local county competitions.

The club has played at various locations within the parish; Willow Walk, Free Prae Road, Staines Lane and Chilsey Green, before settling down at their present home of Alwyns Lane in 1929. The suffix ‘Town’ was added to its title some twenty one years later.


Chertsey accumulated a period of championship wins in the Surrey Senior League, which led to the club turning semi-professional and moving into the Metropolitan League in 1963. However, the costs proved prohibitive so they joined the Greater London League for a season, and then the Spartan League in 1967.

After spells in the London Spartan and Athenian Leagues, Chertsey joined the Isthmian League in 1984. They soon suffered a relegation to the Combined Counties League, but quickly regained their place. The 90's saw a fine run which led to promotions all the way to the Premier Division. Gradually the side and indeed the club saw a decline after a couple of seasons at the top, ending in relegation back to the Combined Counties League in 2006.


'The Curfews' gradually improved on the pitch after several seasons in the Combined Counties League. They finished runners up at the end of the 2010-11 season under the managership of the controversial Spencer Day, but were promoted to the Southern League that seasons champions, Guildford City didn't meet the required FA ground grading requirements.

Day departed for Farnborough after a promising start to the season, taking seven members of the first team with him. Despite this the team managed a position of safety at the end of the season. After three seasons in the Southern League the side suffered relegation at the completion of the 2013-14 season and returning to the Combined Counties League.


The Curfews had a succession of three seasons battling to preserve their Premier Division place; with the team completing the 2016-17 season in nineteenth position.

Chertsey Town FC will compete in the Combined Counties League Premier Division in season 2017-18.


My visits

Chertsey Town 3 Bishop's Stortford 5 (Thursday 30th December 1999) Isthmian League Division One

I was off work for the Christmas break when a fixture caught my eye. Chertsey Town were to host Bishop's Stortford in an Isthmian League Division One match on Thursday 30th December 1999. The significance of this date meant that it was the last senior fixture to be played in the UK in the last millennium.

I travelled to the pretty town of Chertsey by train and quickly lost my bearings and got lost. A local soon put me right and I was soon enjoying a beer in the clubhouse. There was an above average crowd for the game (around 300) including quite a few couples.


Unfortunately the visitors had some supporters who found it amusing to shout what they thought to be witty comments at them, like calling out bingo numbers and phrases as they obviously thought that's where they should have been. I got behind the home side pretty soon after that. Chertsey struck me as a welcoming family club and Alwyns Lane was a nice venue.

As I entered in one corner the end behind the goal to my right, The Alwyns Lane End, had a basic roof over a couple of steps of terracing, while opposite it (The Gogmore End) was open standing. The near side touchline had a lovely Main Stand across the half way line with good views of the pitch. 

On one side was the clubhouse and on the other, changing rooms, both flanked by a couple of steps of open terracing. The far Cricket Club Side had a bus shelter like roof over the middle section with open standing either side. Everything was neat and orderly.


The game itself was excellent, ending in a 5-3 win to Bishop's Stortford. I just missed a train so I had a brief window shop in some quaint shops, one of which sold football memorabilia. It was a cold night so I wasn't upset when the train eventually arrived.

September 2006

I returned on a bright afternoon in 2006 on a whistle stop tour of many grounds and long walks to take the photos included on this page.









No comments: