Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Tuesday 12 May 2020

Wellingborough Whitworth

Wellingborough Whitworth FC is a non-league football club from the market town of Wellingborough in Northamptonshire who were formed in 1973 after Wellingborough Ideal Clothiers folded.

The players of Clothiers also played for a local Sunday League team, Victoria Millers and after discussion started Whitworth. The club started out in the Rushden & District League where they won a couple of league titles in 1975-76 and 1976-77. 

This led to the club advancing to the East Midlands Alliance, where consistent performances and improvements were made to the ‘Flourmen's' Victoria Mills ground on London Road, they were admitted into the United Counties League in 1985 as members of Division One.

The side ended as runners-up in 1996-97 and again in 2004-05. They then went undefeated in 2006-07 but were denied a place in the Premier Division owing to ground grading issues. James Daldy took over as manager in the summer of 2013, taking over from the duo of Steve Sargent and Matty Freeman. 

Despite a large turnover of players, the side stayed up before steadying the ship and then signing former Premier League star Neil Ruddock for a short spell. Former assistant Tommy Jaszczun was appointed as manager in September 2015 prior to being replaced by James Mallows. He took the side to promotion as Division One runners-up a few months later. 

After a couple of tough seasons, the team was relegated in 2018-19. The following two campaigns were abandoned owing to the worldwide pandemic. When Whitworth returned to action Simon Anderson had been replaced as manager by the returning Mallows. 

The club was transferred to Division One of the Spartan South Midlands League ahead of the 2021-22 season. A promising debut fifth place was replicated in 2022-23.

Wellingborough Whitworth FC will compete in the Spartan South Midlands League Division One in the 2024-25 season.

My visit

Friday 3rd August 2012

I was in Wellingborough after a pleasant day out at the cricket in Northampton and visiting some sports venues. My reasoning for being in the town after play was to visit The Dog & Duck to watch the pre season friendly between AFC Rushden & Diamonds and Luton Town.


I had read that the ground of Whitworth was next door in advance and sure enough both ground entrances stood next to each other. The gate appeared to be locked when I arrived, so I went straight to the clubhouse next door. 

However, I was determined to get a look inside the home of the Flourmen so just before half time I gave it another go, especially after I saw some cars parked down the drive. I walked down and got speaking some gentlemen who appeared to run the club and were meeting for a drink. 


They were most welcoming and not without a fair bit of rivalry in them for their next door neighbours. Ones first comment was, "so you've come to have a look at what a proper pitch looks like?" In fairness the playing surface did look in fine nick. The ground was also neat without being anything special.  

The entrance end was behind a goal, with all the facilities in the corner. I was told there was formerly a larger clubhouse until it was burned down in an arson attack. Alongside the buildings was a modern seated stand, stood back from the pitch. 


There was a small cover along the near touchline and behind the far goal, but apart from that the ground consisted of flat open grass and hard standing. Beyond the far touchline there were dug outs on the half way line and a practice pitch behind. The large Whitworth's factory looked on in the distance.

I said my thanks and went back next door for a beer and to watch the second half of the friendly, contemplating that the two games between Diamonds and Whitworths later that season should attract large crowds and a financial boost to The Flourmen in particular.







No comments: