Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Monday 11 May 2020

Eastbourne United


Eastbourne United Association FC is a non-league football club from the seaside resort of Eastbourne in East Sussex, who were originally formed in 1894 as the 1st Sussex Royal Engineers FC playing at The Saffrons.

The South Lynn ground in Tutts Barn Road was also used for home games before moving to Gildredge Park, before the club retitled itself as 1st Home Counties Royal Engineers (Eastbourne) FC in 1913.

The old stand before demolition


In 1920 the club changed their name to Eastbourne Royal Engineers Old Comrades, going on to join the Sussex County League in 1921, while moving to the Lynchmere Ground. A year later came another name change, as the club became known as Eastbourne Old Comrades FC.

The club joined the Spartan League for the 1928-29 season while shortening their name to Eastbourne Comrades FC. Comrades left the Spartan League at the completion of the 1931-32 campaign before rejoining the Sussex County League in 1935.

The stand side in 2007


Comrades struggled just after World War Two. The Lynchmere Ground was lost to development meaning a move to The Oval. In 1951 the club changed their name to Eastbourne United FC.

George Smith took over as team manager and led the side to a runners-up place in the Sussex County League in 1953-54, before leading them to the league title in 1954-55 and 1955-56. The success led to the club joining the Metropolitan & District League.


United joined the Athenian League in the summer of 1964; where they went on to become Division two champions in 1966-67 with promotion to the league’s second tier. A further promotion to the Premier League followed in 1968-69.

United were relegated to Division One in 1969-70. The Athenian League was re-organised in the summer of 1974 as the Premier Division was scrapped. United were relegated to the second level Division Two at the completion of the 1974-75 season.

The terrace which previously stood in front of the old stand


The Athenian League was disbanded in the summer of 1977. United joined Division Two of the Isthmian League and then Division Two South after the reorganisation of the league in 1984. Further changes to the structure in 1991 meant Eastbourne were placed in Division Three.

The club opted to rejoin the Sussex County League for the 1992-93 season, where they were placed in Division Two. The club struggled and nearly dropped out of the county league before recovering and winning promotion to Division One in 1997-98.


United were relegated back to Division two at the end of the 2001-02 season. The club amalgamated with fellow Division Two club Shinewater Association FC at the end of the 2002–03 season.

Shinewater were having problems with the playing surface and application for floodlights at their Shinewater Lane ground, while the venue was also a frequent target of vandalism. The Oval also required investment after the stand was a victim of storm damage.

Former Shinewater manager Dave Shearing took charge of United as promotion to Division One was achieved in 2003-04. The 2008-09 season saw Eastbourne United Association crowned as Sussex County League champions.


In the summer of 2010 it was decided by the committee to cut back on the playing budget and concentrate on upgrading The Oval. Many players along with manager Brian Dennis departed the club. Reserve team manager Paul Daubeney took over as the new team boss.

United were relegated in 2010-11, but the ground began to take shape. Simon Rowland was appointed as the new manager for the 2013-14 campaign with The Oval now in good order. It was to be a memorable season as United won the Division Two title and sealed promotion.


However, it was the FA Vase run that came so close to taking United to Wembley. Victories against Arundel, Phoenix Sports, Chessington & Hook United, South Park, Hanworth Villa, Morpeth Town and Ampthill Town set up a semi-final tie with Sholing.

The Hampshire side would eventually win through 6-4 on aggregate, but the season had restored pride for everyone at The Oval. The game attracted an attendance of 1,426. The Sussex County League was renamed the Southern Combination from the 2015-16 season. United finished tenth after Rowland was replaced by Tobi Hutchinson, and then seventh in 2016-17.

Ryan Cooper was appointed as manager in August 2018, lasting just a few months before the arrival of Aaron Hopkinson who helped the side avoid relegation. He was replaced in September 2019 by Matthew Crabb, who oversaw team affairs during the frustrating Covid-19 period.

Ray Collier had a spell as manager before being replaced by Anthony Storey in September 2021, leading the side to fourth position in 2022-23.

Eastbourne United FC will play in the Southern Combination Premier League in the 2024-25 season.

My visits

Tuesday 12th December 2007

On a day off from work I decided to take advantage of a day explorer ticket with Southern Railways to explore new surroundings and visit some non-league football clubs along the south coast.

The old oval track and distant terrace now outside the ground

After alighting at Eastbourne and having a look at the football and cricket venues at The Saffrons, I walked down to the promenade and walked along to The Oval, which was just a few hundred yards from the cliff.

The venue was in a period of transition, as the stand was damaged. A fence had been put inside where the old running track used to be, so spectators had a clearer view of the action.  Unfortunately I lost all my photos from the day when my computer crashed a few years later.


Once I’d had a look and taken my snaps I headed off towards the home of Eastbourne Borough FC.

Monday 24th July 2017

After many walks and visits to four football clubs, it was time to head to my final destination. The number 99 bus from Bexhill-on-Sea offered me a pleasant half hour ride down the coast before depositing me at Fort Fun on Eastbourne sea front.

I walked through the pleasant Princes Park and around the large Crumbles Pond before coming out next to The Oval; the home of Eastbourne United Association.


The venue had changed massively since my previous visit. Gone was the old oval shape of the arena. A new fence had been installed to square off the venue. Old open terrace and the old track was now outside the ground.

The changing rooms, clubhouse and tea hut were also outside the perimeter, but fences were in place to enclose everything on a match day. I wandered around the outside to take some photos.

The two new structures were on the main side; one with seating and the other for standing spectators. A disused stand stood with its back to play over in the far corner. The rest of the arena was flat open grass and hard standing.


A couple of youngsters asked me what I was doing. I expect I did look strange peering over a fence to take photos. They seemed satisfied with my answers; interested even? I wandered off in search of a drink before heading to the Eastbourne Borough v Dagenham & Redbridge Pre-Season Friendly.

Eastbourne United Association 1 Saltdean United 3 (Friday 17th August 2018) Southern Combination Premier Division (att: 125)


The scheduling of a Friday night fixture often helps groundhoppers. They are not generally the norm, but when they coincide with a couple of days off work, they’re a Godsend, especially when it offers an opportunity for a ride to the coast.

I’d over indulged at the Middlesex v Essex T20 the previous evening, which meant I lingered rather longer than I should have. I’d bought a Day Saver ticket in advance for £19, which offered me unlimited travel on Southern Rail.


The tube ride to Victoria offered me a moment that gladdened the heart. Changing trains, I got on a Bakerloo line train at Baker Street as the doors closed. A suited man was looking out holding a phone.

A young black couple couldn’t get on. They’d left the phone. The man mouthed “next stop” & got off to wait for them at Regents Park. This act of kindness was very poignant at a time where senior politicians were trying to divide by race.


After a week at work dealing with abusive customers & junkies smashing up the customer toilets, this made my day. Well done sir. It was getting on for 3pm when I got onboard a train heading to Brighton, still with an open mind as to how to fill in an hour or so, when I had a moment of inspiration.

I’d never had a beer in the UK with my Thailand cricket touring pal Chris Felton. The wonders of Facebook messenger soon had us in touch and me changing for a train towards Shoreham-on-Sea.


Chris didn’t have to do much persuading when he suggested the Duke of Wellington, and the classic pub didn’t let us down. It was fantastic to spend an hour chatting and having a good laugh in such great surroundings before I headed back to Brighton.

A quick change put me onto the Eastbourne service as I tried to keep up with proceedings online of the vital Yorkshire v Nottinghamshire T20 eliminator. On arrival I had a reasonable pint in the London & County Wetherspoon establishment.


On the way to the bus towards the match I somehow managed to damage my earphones so that only one lug was receiving any volume and I cracked my Poundland reading glasses in half. I must have looked a sight with a handle hanging off each ear but needs must.

I alighted at The Archery stop before a few minutes’ walk saw me at the entrance to The Oval, where I paid £6 admission and a further quid for a programme. The teams were written up on a board near the gap through to the bar.


There was a good number enjoying drinks and playing darts inside. I went for a pint of one of the increasing numbers of continental IPA that had been appearing more and more. It wasn’t an inspired choice.

The catering was indoors further along and shared its space with the club laundry. I went for a cheeseburger, which was well done, and some chips that weren’t along with a tea to try and get rid of the taste of the beer. It was decent enough for £4.50.


United had been hit with the resignation of manager Tobi Hutchinson a few days before the commencement of the new season. Ryan Cooper took over the role as well as continuing to play. They hadn’t got off to a great start.

Seaford, the visitors from along the coast, sat in third place before kick-off. A decent crowd had assembled on a bright evening which became very chilly as the wind picked up. I initially sat in the incomplete stand behind the goal before moving to the more conventional structure.


The hosts looked pretty good in the opening stages. They’d obviously been fired up and it became obvious at an early stage that referee Nigel Baker was going to have his hands full. His fastidious way of going about things and his over talking wasn’t making himself very popular.

Eastbourne’s long throw ploy caused confusion before leading to the opening goal on twenty minutes when the throw was flicked on to Tyler O`Callaghan, whose looping header dropped in just under the bar beyond the reach of keeper Nathan Stroomberg.


Plenty of challenges were going in, some giving players an opportunity to yell at the officials and generally overreact. Seaford were playing the better football of the two sides and it was no surprise when they drew level ten minutes before the break.

The ball went wide of the six yard box with Eastbourne keeper Luke Colquhoun following it. He was beaten to the ball with a smart chipped cross headed into the unguarded net by James Waters.


Half time was spent in frustration trying to play with my specs and listening with an increasing inevitability as Yorkshire capitulated, which going for a walk to try and warm up a tad as I added the lower half to my cargo pants.

The Oval’s pitch wasn’t conducive to passing football, but it could be forgiven as groundsmen continued to struggle country wide after the drought. A heavy shower would have done it the power of good.


The game continued in a tetchy nature, with the home side picking up a couple of injuries as well as the withdrawal of the rotund Jordan Woodley who could certainly play but was too immobile and probably better suited to a leg or two of darts in the bar.

A real piece of quality from Saltdean’s Rabbit Kinkene saw him pull off a brilliant piece of skill in midfield before sending substitute Toby House through with a slide rule pass. The forward slotted past Colquhoun to make it 2-1.


Eastbourne saw an effort come back off the crossbar, but it would be the Tigers from Saltdean who would extend their lead and take all three points. A cross dropped at the far post for House to volley home.

The challenges became more petulant. Mr Baker continued to give a running commentary on proceedings and eventually booked seven players. I’d seen enough and headed off ten minutes from full time to take the bus back into town.


For some reason the driver waved me through without paying. I hope he didn’t think I was over 65!  The pubs of Eastbourne were certainly vibrant. I’d had enough for one day and got a spurt on, so I was in time for the 22.00 to Victoria.

It had been a nice enough few hours out of the metropolis, even if the game hadn’t really done it for me.





No comments: