Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Monday 11 May 2020

AFC Varndeanians



AFC Varndeanians FC is a non-league football club based in Brighton, formed as Old Varndeanians in 1929 after changing titles from Secondary Old Boys who competed in Brighton, Hove & District Football League.


Old Vardeanians were relegated in 1930-31 and again in 1934-35 to find themselves in Division Three. The club moved to play matches at Preston Park following World War Two, winning promotion in 1947-48.

The second tier of the competition was renamed the Intermediate Division, from where the team progressed to the Senior Division in 1951-52; before taking up a position in Division Two of the Sussex County League for the 1956-57 season.


After three runners-up finishes before the end of the decade, Vardeanians were promoted to Division One in 1959-60. Club rules were adjusted to allow brothers and sons of former pupils to play for the team along with former pupils of Varndean School.

The side were relegated to Division Two in 1961-62, where the club remained until leaving the league in 1973 to re-join the Brighton, Hove & District Football League, being placed in the Premier Division. Vardeanianas won the league title on their first season back.


A second title followed in 1999-00 following five runners-up slots. The club retained the championship before winning the league once again in 2002-03 from where Old Vardeanians moved to the Mid-Sussex League.

The league title arrived in 2003-04 with further league triumphs arriving in 2006-07 and 2008-09. In 2015 the club changed their name to AFC Varndeanians; while moving to play home games at Withdean Stadium as members of Division Two of the Southern Combination Division.


The move paid dividends as Vardeanians won the league at the first attempt to be promoted to Division One. After a couple of seasons of consolidation, the team just missed out on promotion with a third place in 2018-19 under manager Kevin Keehan.

AFC Varndeanians will play in the Southern Combination Division One in the 2019-20 season.


My visits

Brighton & Hove Albion 2 Gillingham 0 (League One) Tuesday 13 October 2009 (att: 5,960)

Please click here to read about my visit in the days when Albion were tenants at Withdean.

Monday 22nd July 2019


With the week off work I wanted to get away from the capital. An arranged evening meet with old friends in Haywards Heath gave me the opportunity to head to the coast from some fresh air and exercise to build up my appetite.

Withdean Stadium wasn’t really on my radar when I set out. My destination was Brighton. However, it seemed a good idea as I approached the seaside, so I alighted at Hassocks and waited for the next train to Preston Park.


It’s strange how the memory can play tricks. I decided to cross under the track as I thought a path would take me straight to the arena. It led to quite a walk up and down steep hills before Withdean Road took me to the entrance.

Fortunately, the gates were open to allow me to take photos. It all looked so different to when the temporary stands and facilities were in situ. It was a pleasant venue, if unsuitable to the crowds it had to accommodate.


The main stand was still in place. Opposite the grass banks with a path mid-way up were now clearly visible. Flat open areas were behind the curves where the structures were before.

Once I’d taken my photos, I walked along London Road, visiting Preston Park cricket ground and velodrome, before continuing past the main park and several inviting pubs and brewery taps in pursuit of trying to shed a little timber.


Brighton was busy with tourists and as good as ever. The sun was out with the benches on the pier most welcome in the sunshine. A good day was rounded off with a Thai meal and a few beers with cricketing chums.






No comments: