Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad, Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see Volume Two of HAOTW, which covers everything non English.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Monday 16 July 2012

Fleet Town




Fleet Town FC are a non league football club from the town of the same name in the north of Hampshire, around thirty seven miles south west of central London. The club were formed 1890 as Fleet FC.

'The Blues' as the club are nicknamed, initially played at Watson's Meadow, which was located at the station end of High Street. In 1923 Lord Calthorpe of Elvetham Hall made available a new ground. It was later bequeathed to the local council for non commercial recreational use. The team played its football in local league competition, until 1961 when they became members of the Hampshire League.

Two years later the ground was renamed Calthorpe Park as the club added Town to its name, and over the next fourteen years the team progressed through the divisions of the league to become challengers for the main championship. In 1977 Fleet joined the Athenian League. In 1984 the club could not carry out the required ground improvements, so they spent time in the Combined Counties League, Surrey County League and Chiltonian League.












The club was at a low ebb, but a new Chairman arrived and he reinvigorated the club committee. Basic ground improvements were made meaning that they could join the Wessex League in 1989. In 1992 the old Main Stand burnt down, but it was replaced with a new structure as well as more improvements being carried out. The 1994-95 season saw Town being crowned Wessex League champions, and they were rewarded with promotion to the Southern League.

2000 saw relegation back to the Wessex League, but they returned to the Southern League two years later. In 2004 non league football was restructured so Town found themselves placed in the Isthmian League. A new management team of Andy Sinton and Steve Mellor arrived for the start of the 2005-06 season, which led to improved crowds and the club finishing in its highest ever league position.

Local and county cup finals were reached over the following few seasons as the club were moved to the Southern League once again for the 2007-08 season. The Blues finished second in the league and went on to lose to Uxbridge in the Division One South & West play offs. 












Because of Fleet's geographical location, the club were borderline for which league they should be placed in and it depended on the locations of other promoted and relegated clubs. It happened once again for the 2008-09 season as they were placed back in the Isthmian League. They reached the play offs once again, where they went down to Metropolitan Police.

At the end of the 2009-10 season Andy Sinton moved on from the club to take the managers job at AFC Telford United, leaving Steve Mellor in charge. Fleet returned for more Southern League competition for the 2011-12 season.

Fleet Town FC will play in the Southern League Division One Central for the 2013-14 season.


My visit

Wednesday 20th June 2012

I always like to use my days off from work doing something rather than sitting at home, so with the weather set fair I set out to see some old and new football grounds and update my photos. Having originally considered a ride to Sussex and Surrey I changed my mind to my original option I headed across to Waterloo to take a train to Farnborough.

While on the train I realised that it would be calling at Fleet after my intended destination. I quickly looked at the map app on my IPhone and thought that Cawthorpe Park looked a reasonable distance from Fleet station, so when the helpful ticket collector came round, she sold me an extended return for just £1.












I alighted at the station and realised I had either twenty or fourty minutes to complete my task. I set out aiming at the quicker time, but quickly realised that it was quite a bit further than I had envisaged. Fleet Road led into High Road where there was a nice shopping area. This continued into Crookham Road, which was leading out of town at the other side. Along my walk I'd looked at the bus timetables by the stops to see if there was a quicker way to return, but it didn't look good.

Then just near to the ground I saw a service that went to Farnborough and was due ten minutes later. This would be ideal as it saved a long walk and would drop me near to the home of Cove FC, another intended drop off. I got a move on as I entered the car park by the clubhouse at Calthorpe Park.

A brewery wagon was dropping deliveries off, but there was no-one else around and the ground was locked. Fortunately the perimeter fences were not too high, so I got good views all around.












The ground was very picturesque and tree lined behind the fence on three sides. Both ends had small covers and a few steps. The far touchline had both subs benches and open standing. The Main Stand stood in front of the clubhouse on the final side along with a small cover alongside it with the players tunnel. There was open standing either side of it.

I completed my task and jogged round the corner to the bus stop. Time was very tight and I stood there for five minutes after the bus was due, more in hope than expectation if I was being honest. Luckily for me, the service was running late, and I was delighted when the 'hoppa' came round the corner. I had an interesting ride through small villages listening to elderly residents discuss the issues of the day.

My call to Fleet Town had been completely unplanned, but I was glad I had made the effort.




No comments: