Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Saturday 25 September 2010

Seaham Red Star




Seaham Red Star are a non league team who hail from the former colliery town just south of Sunderland on the North East coast. They were formed in 1973 as Seaham Colliery Welfare Red Star, playing local Sunday football, before changing to their present title in 1984.

The town had previously been represented by various other clubs at one time or another: Seaham Colliery Welfare, Seaham Harbour, Seaham United and Seaham White Star. The current club began life in the Wearside League before becoming members of the Northern League in the late 80’s, where they have had one promotion and a spell in the first division.

In season 2012-13 Seaham Red Star FC will play in the Northern League Division Two.














My visit
Seaham Red Star 0 Scarborough Athletic 3 (Saturday 4th September 2010) FA Vase Preliminary Round (att: 194)

It was a case of Wembley to Seaham for me, as the previous evening I watched England’s demolition of Bulgaria in the European Championship Qualifier with my pals Sharpy and Guy. They stayed at my place which is probably as well given the rather ample pub crawl we’d enjoyed. The following morning the lads treated me to the taxi ride down to Kings Cross as the inevitable engineering works were taking place on the Jubilee line over the weekend.







After a subway sarnie I was soon asleep on the train and woke up near Durham. It was a glorious day as I alighted at Newcastle Central and I was immediately gutted I wasn’t staying overnight. I really like northern cities and the thought of the nightlife, but I had committed myself to umpiring a cricket game the following day.

I got aboard the train for the coast and sat with another couple of Seadogs who travel from Didcot to games! We had a good chat about the club and I was glad to hear they were of similar opinions regarding the need for unity for the game in Scarborough, but also appreciated the need for our club to concentrate on doing things right.

We passed the International Stadium and the Stadium of Light before arriving at our destination. We set off walking up the hill out of the sparse town and past where the colliery used to be with my companions having to lug their case as they were going to Cardiff the following day for the 20/20 international between England and Pakistan the following day. We were relieved when we saw the car park with Seadogs enjoying the late summer sun with a beer outside the clubhouse.














Our hosts were hospitable enough before we walked up a bank through a nice park to the turnstile. The match programme was rather flimsy, but value for only 50p. Admission was only £4 which was also most appreciated. The good value continued at the catering hut where for just £1.50 I purchased a pie and a Bovril. This really did highlight how ridiculous the prices are at our national stadium, where a foot long hot dog costs £5.20!

Seaham Town Park was a very neat and tidy venue. The main side had a seated stand, changing rooms and facilities as well as plenty of concrete and a grass bank for us to view the game from. The School End was open with flat standing. The Park Side had a cover for standing fans on the half way line with the Stockton Road End having a mixture of terracing and grass banking. The ground was surrounded by high fences, which saved the club from severe vandalism as was a regular setback in previous years.

















The pitch had nearly as much sand on it as grass as well as some stones as we discovered as we cut across at full time. Boro played some nice football and took control although Red Star put up a tremendous fight. It was nice to see a much improved performance from the Seadogs as the previous week they had gone out of the FA Cup with a poor performance at Chester le Street Town.

Frank Belt put us one up with a great drive before the break. Ryan Blott added to this from the spot when the referee awarded a debatable penalty, maybe to make up for the one he could have given earlier? Bill Law rounded off the victory to send us back happy. Andy and Fred kindly dropped me off at the station before I took the train back to “Toon”.













I found a Wetherspoons pub near to the station to enjoy three fine pints of Brains SA Gold while talking to a London based Oxford United fan, who was in the area for the Durham Beer Festival and the big derby in the area that day between South Shields and North Shields. I though I was keen! I was soon on the train for another snooze. It had been a top two days in great company watching my teams win.




No comments: