Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Saturday 25 September 2010

Chadderton












Chadderton FC, from the town that is part of Oldham, were formed in 1947. The club were originally called Millbrow FC and then North Chadderton Amateurs before becoming Chadderton in 1957.

“Chaddy” played local league football before joining the Manchester League in 1962. They remained there until 1980, when they tried their luck in the Lancashire Combination, moving as founder members into the North West Counties League in 1982.
















Chaddy won one promotion, but were later relegated for not having the required ground facilities. In 2007 they sold out to two local businessmen and their company, The HB Property Group Limited. However in 2009 the arrangement ended and Chaddy became a members club, run by the people for the people.

In season 2012-13 Chadderton FC will be competing in the North West Counties League Division One


 












My visit

I had just visited Boundary Park, home of Oldham Athletic on Tuesday 20th July 2010 as part of a three days groundhop around Greater Manchester. I set off in what I thought to be the correct direction, only to get lost in a maze of streets heavily populated by local Asians, with the strong aroma of curry in the air.

Eventually I got back on track and was outside the gates of the Andrew Street ground. The gates were locked but I could see inside. A clubhouse and changing rooms were in a brick building at the near end. Apart from a path around the pitch the vast majority of the rest of the ground was open grass. A bank at the far end offered an elevated view. The only covered accommodation was down the Broadway side which was a long low stand for seats and standing.


 













I walked round that side to hopefully get a shot of the Clubhouse End and found an open gate. Two youths were using the stand as protection to the elements while smoking a joint. No wonder so many non league grounds fear vandalism.

I was soon down to the crossroads and on board a bus towards Oldham Bus Station as the weather started to close in.














No comments: