Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Sunday 25 October 2009

Arnold Town




Arnold Town FC were formed in 1989 following a merger of Arnold FC and Arnold Kingswell FC, playing their home games at the King George V Ground on Gedling Road.

The Eagles played in the Central Midlands League before joining the Northern Counties East League in 1993. They reached the FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round in 2002 before going out at home to Conference club Scarborough.








Two downloaded images of the King George V Ground


The club badly needed a new home ground because their old venue was a public open space. The club campaigned long and hard and received letters of support from some of the biggest names in the British game. After a public enquiry the new ground was given planning permission in 2005.














Eagle Valley eventually opened in 2009 as the club developed their many teams to become a real assett to the community. Arnold moved sideways in the pyramid for the 2013-14 season as they became members of the East Midlands Counties League.

Arnold Town FC will spend the 2012-13 in the East Midlands Counties League


My visit


Tuesday 15 September 2009

I was in Nottingham before Scarborough Athletic's President Cup clash at Long Eaton United. My friend Pete Moss kindly gave me a lift out to Eagle Valley. I had given up any chance of seeing it as public transport did not serve the complex.

Eagle Valley was basically in the middle of nowhere off the A614. The nearest houses can be just about seen in the distance. It has a grand new access road and impressive wrought iron gates at the entrance.












Luckily it was open as two groundsmen were busy working on the many other pitches which house the clubs other sides. We were met in the large car park and taken by the kind worker through the main entrance for a look around.

As a new ground it undoubtedly needed some growth around it to protect it from the wind but it was extremely neat. A path and flat grass standing surrounded the playing area. A small covered terrace stood on the far touchline with a packaged seated stand in front of the facilities on the near side. The rest of the ground was open. It had a huge function room and clubhouse adjoining the ground and clubhouse.













It looked to be an excellent facility to suit the demands of the club. My only criticism was how exposed it was and the lack of access apart from by private transport.










 







No comments: