Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Monday 8 June 2009

Pickering Town




Pickering Town FC are a non league football club from the picturesque market town of the same name, close to the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors National Park. The club were established in 1888, for many years the club competed in the local football leagues, including the York League.

'The Pikes' moved into the Yorkshire League in 1972, winning the Division Three title in 1973-74 at their Mill Lane home, which is shared with Pickering Cricket Club. A second successive promotion was achieved by courtesy of a runners-up berth as Town reached the top flight.

However, two relegations on the bounce saw the club back in Division Three by 1978.




Pickering joined the  Northern Counties East League when it was formed in 1982. Promotions in 1988 and 1992 led to Pikes securing a place in the Premier Division.

In the 1992-93 season the club ended up as runners up in the title. They were relegated in 1999 but returned to the top flight two years later. Jimmy Reid and then Steve Brown moved the club forward during their spells as manager.

In 2003-04 Town looked like title contenders but they fell away, while Mill Lane was deemed to be insufficient for a promotion application. Former Premier League forward Alex Mathie took over from Brown early the following season, while improvement works at Mill Lane made it one of the best venues in the league.

Pickering reached the quarter final stage of the FA Vase in 2005-06 before going out to Nantwich Town. Mathie departed to be replaced by Mark Wood in January 2007. He led the side to a third place finish before moving on early in the 2010-11 campaign.











Former Scarborough player and Scarborough Town manager Mitch Cook came in and produced a fine side based on youth and passing football. However, he walked out before the end of his debut season to take the managers job at Bridlington Town with Peter Vasey coming in as his replacement. Vasey left during the 2011-12 season to be replaced by former boss Jimmy Reid, who set about trying to build his squad during the close season.

Pikes won the North Riding Senior Cup for the first ever time in April 2013 with a 3-0 victory over Marske United at Stokesley.

During the 2013-14 season the management team were moved on with Cook returning as manager in a controversial move. His side finished in the same seventh place as the season he departed.

Pickering Town FC will compete in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division for the 2014-15 season.



My visits

I first walked through the Mill Lane ground, such was its lack of development in the mid 70's on a family walk and picnic along the old disused railway line that went to Malton. the ground only had a railing around it and an old small shelter on the half way line and the clubhouse and changing facilities. My dad told me of playing in a memorable Cup game against the Pikes that ended 5-5 when he was in his prime.













When I was playing at my best I returned to the ground and warmed the subs bench while playing for Ayton in 1990. The ground had not changed too much from my previous visit.

Just before Christmas 2008, my dad kindly took me for a detour through the very pretty town of Pickering on the way to pick up my niece, Sally, at York. He parked up outside the ground so I could take some photos. The ground was very impressive. Although there were no major buildings, everything looked neat and fitted in well. Alongside the clubhouse a small covered terrace had been built. The old shelter on the far side had been replaced by a seated stand for 120. At the 'Cricket Scoreboard End' another stand with 100 seats completed the structures. The cricket ground now had a portable fence in place when the Pikes are in action which no doubt saves lots of time from stray clearances.

Pickering Town 0 Scarborough Athletic 4 (Tuesday 4th October 2011) Northern Counties East League Premier Division (att: 564)





A visit to Pickering Town also offers the opportunity of a pleasant day out in the town for visitors. The ground is a few minutes walk from the centre of the market town, which is situated on the edge of The North Yorkshire Moors National Park. It has lots of traditional shops, pubs and cafes for all tastes. The main tourist attractions apart from the stunning scenery are the North Yorkshire Moors Steam Railway (used many times on the ITV hit series Heartbeat), Pickering Castle and the Beck Isle Museum.





I was going to take advantage of one of those attractions to form a very memorible day out for myself, much to the jealousy of some of my mates who coundn't get the time off work.

I took a bus up the coast from Scarborough to Ravenscar and then walked along the Cleveland Way and beach to the stunning village of Robin Hoods Bay. I got another bus from there to Whitby, where I had a couple of hours to kill. I enjoyed some fine ale in The Elsinore and the Station Inn and got myself fish and chips to eat while I walked to the station for the highlight of the trip. I caught the steam train to Pickering!












Or at least that was the plan. At Grosmont it was apparent we had problems with the engine. The guard came round and told everyone that we'd be late into Pickering. Everyone agreed that it wouldn't be a problem. Apart from me! I explained I was going to watch the football. The guard didn't really get it, and asked what channel it was on and wasn't there highlights later?













I heard movement up the hill at our next stop Goathland or Aidensfield as it's known to millions of Heartbeat fans. I had nodded off after my fresh air, beer and tea but I soon woke up when the guard told me it would be around 7.30 when we reached our destination. I was releived when in darkness I got a signal on my mobile as it meant we'd got to Pickering. I rung Jamie and asked him to buy me a programme in case they sold out by the time I'd hobbled to the ground. The front of the train explained the noise I'd heard. A deisel engine had completed the journey.

It was a long way round to the turnstiles at Mill Lane and it was obvious that there was a huge crowd in attendance. I bought a strip of raffle tickets and found my pals. Fans were standing several deep around the three sided ground.













Boro had former Pikes Kevin Martin in goal and he had a decent debut. A Ryan Blott free kick sent the Seadogs in one up and even better news was to come. The winning raffle numbers were announced and I had the winning ticket!













In the second half Boro gradually took control and went on to win the game 4-0 in a fine display, in which the team showed real signs of gelling. The crowd drifted home in jubilent mood, well apart from the hundred or so home fans! I went to collect my prize, a magnificent mixed grill and then eventually caught up with Jamie who gave me a ride back to Scarborough.













No comments: