Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Tuesday 1 July 2008

Gedling Town














Gedling Town FC were formed in 1986 as R&R Scaffolding playing local league football. The club changed name to Gedling Town in 1990 when they progressed into the Central Midlands League.

"The Ferrymen" who are based near to the village of Stoke Bardolph by the River Trent progressed into the Northern Counties East League in 2007. In 2008 they moved to the newly formed East Midlands Counties League.

Roland Ash owned the club for several years and took Town forward. He sold the club to Tony Griffith who promised investment and further development. Unfortunately he found no assistance forthcoming and not being prepared to fund the club on his own, he pulled Town out of the East Midlands Counties League in July 2011 and folded the club.

In July 2011, Gedling Town were no more..
















My visit

Gedling Town 1 Scarborough Athletic 2 (Saturday 5th November 2007) Northern Counties East League Division One (att: 180)

I had the day off from work and it didn't take a lot to persuade me to attend. I boarded the train at St Pancras in a contented mood as I'd managed to bag my return tickets to Nottingham for just £16 and I was doing well in my Station Supervisor course for London Underground. I had done a night shift the previous evening so I was a little jaded.


















The Nottingham based Seadog, Pete Moss, had given me directions for finding Gedling but I had forgotten them and I couldn't remember the name of the nearest station as the ground wasn't in Gedling itself. I got into a taxi for the journey after explaining to the driver where i needed to be. Fortunately I had remembered the name of the pub, The Ferry Boat Inn, but not the name of the nearest village, Stoke Bardolph! The taxi cost me more than my return train tickets.

I was in the pub at the ridiculously early time of 12.45 but there was no TV inside to watch the live game as it was designed primarily for diners and only had a small bar, a bit like a "Harvester". Gradually more and more Seadogs arrived which threw the bar into chaos. For some unimaginable reason they charged £2.51 for Fosters. The obvious soon happened as they continually ran out of change and the queue lengthened. Gedling's normal crowd of around 40 fans won't have troubled the staff too much but 150 thirsty travelling Yorkshiremen was a different matter. It wasn't helped by the staff being incompetent and uninterested.















Gedling Town's Chairman had stirred a hornets nest before we got there as he had increased admission prices by £2 and put the programmes up by 50p to cash in on the large away support, which was not particularly popular. Some Seadogs let him know exactly what they thought. Even if there was a clubhouse in the ground I doubt many Boro fans would have used it. Most refused to buy any raffle tickets when normally they do as much as possible to give something back to our hosts. This added spice to a game that was going to be hard fought anyway. Gedling were top of the league and unbeaten at home, while Boro were just starting to get their act together with some new signings.





The Riverside Ground was in a lovely setting opposite The River Trent with lots of beautiful picnic spots. The only downside was the occasional stink from the nearby sewage plant when the wind picked up. When entering the ground I first came across flat standing and the changing rooms, catering points and toilets. The right hand touchline and the far end consists of a mixture of flat areas of hard standing and grass. The far goal showed signs that it once had a shelter. The main spectator facilities were along the other touchline. Two long seating stands were connected in the middle by a narrow low covered standing area behind the dug outs. This is where I stood.

The home manager Lee Wilson provided good entertainment but in a sporting way. He gave as good as he got. Boro played superbly and led 1-0 at half time. The clog he gave his team in the changing rooms could be heard by everyone at that end of the ground. It seemed to do the trick as Town got into the game far more with boro still guilty of missing opportunities on the break. It was an excellent advert for the NCEL played on a slick playing surface.













The home side threw everything at Boro who then replied by scoring with a counter attack through Scott Phillips. Gedling went straight up the other end and got one back. There was some frantic defending from Boro as they hung on until the final whistle to seal a great victory.
Pete gave me a ride back to Carlton with another new Nottingham based Seadog recruit, Jim, where we celebrated with some quality ale before I was dropped off at Nottingham station. All in all a good day out with free entertainment provided by the numerous firework displays all the way home.














No comments: