Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Thursday 7 October 2010

Ramsbottom United




Ramsbottom United FC were formed by Harry Williams in 1966, playing in local Bury and Bolton football leagues, before moving into the Manchester League in 1987.

Promotion for "The Rams" into the North West Counties League was secured in 1994 after substantial ground improvements were carried out. Within a couple of seasons they had lifted the second division title and moved to the top flight were consolidation was gained. he 2011-12 season saw the club lift the Premier ivision title and clinch promotion to the Northern Premier League.














In season 2011-12, Ramsbottom United will be playing in the Northern Premier League Division One North.


My visit

Wednesday 21st July 2010

I was in the Greater Manchester area for a few days enjoying the sights, good living and visiting football clubs. I had just visited Radcliffe Borough and took the bus to Bury where I was looking forward to my next form of travel.














I had read all about the East Lancashire Railway, which is a heritage line run by volunteer enthusiasts. I was extremely keen to take a journey on it as it offered the chance of a ride on a steam train! I just made it to Bolton Road station and got down to the platform to find an old diesel was pulling the train. There was consolation on finding the carriages were of old stock which took me back to my childhood.

The train was full of pensioners enjoying an excursion. I got sat next to one of the volunteers and had a lovely chat as we passed through the stunning countryside. Before long we were pulling into Ramsbottom station. I said my good byes and went on my way.














My first impressions were very good. The approach road and signposts were all neat and tidy, with the ground sitting alongside the very impressive Ramsbottom Cricket Club who are proud members of the Lancashire League.

The football ground is now named The Jack Williams Riverside Ground, in honour of the man who made it all possible. The entrances were all pristine and some gents were working on the ground and were welcoming when giving me permission to go inside. I was so pleased I made the effort.














The near Cricket Side was open with the dug outs on the half way line. The clubhouse and changing rooms stood back from the pitch with smart benches and gardens sitting on a lawn in front. Even a little wheelbarrow in the garden had been neatly painted in club colours. The Railway End was a narrow strip of open terrace. The far side consisted of the main Harry Williams Stand with blue seats including some recovered from Maine Road after demolition. Alongside is the small covered terrace called The Ellis Timlin Stand. The far end has a long narrow covered terrace called The Jack Wolfenden Stand, named after a hard working stalwart of the club. The floodlights came from Boundary Park, Oldham.

It really was a stunning sight and a ground I'd love to visit for a game, hopefully against my beloved Scarborough Athletic.














I spent a few minutes having a look inside the cricket ground before I walked into the picturesque market town with its stunning surroundings. I had time to kill so I decided to go and sit in the homely pub adjacent to the station to listen to locals enjoying each others company. The train took me back to Bury, where just to round off a wonderful couple of hours, I spent time in the station buffet which proved to be a haven for real ale.

If you are in the area, I highly recommend a visit to the railway and maybe a Ramsbottom United game.


No comments: