Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Tuesday 12 May 2020

Squires Gate


Squires Gate FC is a non-league football club who emanate from the southern suburb of Blackpool in Lancashire. The club were formed as Squires Gate British Legion FC in 1948, playing local league football in the Blackpool & District Amateur League.

In 1953 the club changed to its present name going on to secure league in 1955-56 and 1956-57 which led to a move to the Fylde District League, prior to joining the West Lancashire League in 1961. The team won Division Two of the competition in 1980-81. 

In 1991 'Gate' were admitted into the North West Counties League as members of Division Two, as their ground at School Road was upgraded. Promotion to Division One followed in 2001-02.

The 2005-06 campaign saw the team reach the quarter finals of the FA Vase, going out in a 2-0 defeat away to Hillingdon Borough. Club Chairman Phil Days resigned from the club in June 2006. 

His calls were rejected for near neighbours Gate, Blackpool Wren Rovers and Blackpool Mechanics, who later became AFC Blackpool, to amalgamate and form a club to push towards Northern Premier League status. 

Meanwhile Gate progressed gradually on the pitch to reach the league's Premier Division in 2007-08 after it was restructured. The club narrowly avoided relegation at the culmination of the 2012-13 season as they changed the name of their ground to the Royal British Legion Stadium. 

In November 2014, Gate player Jack Sowerby progressed to become a full time professional at neighbours Fleetwood Town, while manager Dave McCann led his side to a record sixth place finish in the 2014-15 season.

Club captain Danny Penswick took over as player manager early into the 2015-16 campaign steering his side away from the drop zone in consecutive seasons. Andy Clarkson was appointed as manager in October 2017, before he was succeeded by Luke Evans from September 2019. 

Further ground improvements were carried out during the couple of seasons curtailed early owning to the global pandemic. Behind the scenes the board was strengthened along with a new media team helping boost the profile of the club.

Relegation was narrowly avoided in 2022-23, which was the same result twelve months later.

Squires Gate FC will play in the North West Counties League Premier Division in the 2024-25 season.

My visit

Wednesday 1st February 2012

I woke in Blackpool rather earlier than intended on a crisp but stunning morning. After checking out of the Travelodge near to the Tower, I caught the number 17 bus towards Squires Gate. I alighted near The Shovels pub on Common Edge Road and instead of walking down to School Road I had found a path behind Bruce Park and then had a look at the adjoining home of Squires Gate.


I'd heard of near neighbour grounds before, but I'd never seen anything like this arrangement. The grounds were just separated by a fence down one side. The School Road ground was relatively basic, but it had all the facilities required for a club of Squires Gate's standing.

A low covered enclosure was located down the Wren Rovers side, a couple of small seated stands opposite and a small cover near to the clubhouse and changing rooms by the corner flag. There was a hard standing path all the way around the pitch next to the single rail pitch side fence and then flat open grass.


After walking right round the back of two sides of the ground I could see inside, but there was no gates open for a closer look. I got a better view from the car park on School Road, which was busy with parents dropping off their youngsters for another day of learning. 

I was probably viewed with suspicion taking pictures, but I was as discreet as possible before going on my way to my next ground, the home of AFC Blackpool.





No comments: