Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Sunday 5 June 2011

Bootle



Bootle FC are a non league club based four miles to the north of Liverpool city centre. The present club were formed in 1953 as Langton FC and have no connection to the club of the same name that were once members of the Football League.

The original Bootle FC were formed in 1880 and played their games at Hawthorne Road. They were founder members of the Football Alliance in 1889 and they reached the quarter finals of the FA Cup. The Alliance merged with the Football League in 1892 and Bootle became members of the newly formed second division. They lasted just one season before the newly formed Liverpool FC replaced them! The club disappeared owing to financial troubles.



Another club, Bootle Athletic FC ensured football returned to Hawthorne Road in 1948. They competed in the Lancashire Combination until their demise in 1953. The ground soon fell into disrepair, but of 2011 it was home to Bootle Cricket Club.

Langton FC started out playing local league football and started out playing at Edinburgh Park. In 1973 they changed their name to the current title and joined the Lancashire Combination while moving to Orrell Mount. In 1977 'The Bucks' moved to the Cheshire County League and a new home at Bucks Park on Northern Permimeter Road near to Old Roan station, before becoming founder members of the North West Counties League in 1982.










Two downloaded images of the clubs old Bucks Park home

The club were regulars in the top tier of the league when they vacated their Bucks Park home toardss the end of the century. They planned to use the Kirkby Sports Centre ground until a new home was found. This had previously staged the home games of Knowsley United FC (previously Kirkby Town FC). Unfortunately urgent repair work at the ground at the 2001-02 season meant Bootle having to drop down into the Liverpool Combination.



















The club shared with Waterloo Dock FC while club officials worked tirelessly to find a new permanent home. In 2005 a new home, New Bucks Park was secured a few hundred yards from Aintree Racecourse and the following year they were readmitted into the North West Counties League. In 2009 promotion to the top tier was secured with a championship win. The 2011-12 season saw The Bucks finish in a very impressive third place in the Premier Division.

Bootle FC will play in the North West Counties Premier Division for the 2012-13 season.












My visit

Tuesday 19th October 2010

I was completing my tour of Merseyside football grounds as well as enjoying some fine hospitality and Bootle were the last on my list.

I alighted at Aintree station in a rather damp state following a downpour in Maghull with the huge stands behind me. I could see New Bucks Park about a hundred yards in front of me, but unfortunately access was round the new industrial state and a good ten minutes walk away.













The gates appeared to be locked, but luckily for me an old boy was inside. I attracted his attention and he was kindness personified. He welcomed me inside and took great interest in my hobby. I was pleased to hear he knew all about the plight of my own club, Scarborough Athletic.

New Bucks Park was typical of many new venues. It lacked character but was functional and met all the ground graders requirements. Three sides were open and flat with a mixture of hard standing and grass. Practice pitches with their artificial turf and high fences were down the side and behind the far goal. The fourth side had the large clubhouse, changing rooms and offices complex with three of the modern type stands in front. One provided seats and the others a few steps of terracing with covering over both and the players tunnel in between.




I went inside the neat clubhouse to use the loos and my new friend gave me a programme from the FA Sunday Cup game that had been played there at the weekend featuring local side Salisbury Athletic. It appeared that hiring out the facilities played a vital park in assisting the clubs' finances.

I walked back to the main road and was most pleased when a local lady told me that a bus was due. I had a nice ride through Bootle town centre and right to Lime Street station in the centre of Liverpool.

No comments: