Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Tuesday 12 May 2020

Cradley Town


Cradley Town FC is a non league football club based in the small town of Cradley, pronounced Cradeley, in the Black Country, around ten miles west of Birmingham. The club was formed in 1970 as Albion Haden United as a result of a merger between Albion Rovers and Haden Rangers.

In 1971-72 the club became members of the Midland Combination Division Two, going on to lift the title in their second season. In 1975 ‘The Hammers’ or ‘The Lukes’ changed their title to Cradley Town.

After finishing Division Two runners up in 1975-76 and 1977-78 Town were promoted to Division One. In 1983 the club switched to the West Midlands (Regional) League Premier Division but were relegated to Division one at the end of the debut season. In 1990-91 they regained their top division status.

However, the following season it looked as though the club would fold as the owners departed owing to its financial state. Thankfully, the sale of John Williams, who went on to become the Football League sprint champion, to Swansea City returned solvency.

 

Jon Ford and Andy McFarlane also progressed and joined up at Swansea around the same time, as well as Alan Nicholls who moved eventually to Plymouth Argyle. Duane Darby was another of the talented crop who’d go on to enjoy a terrific career.

The club hit the headlines in 1996 when chairman and manager of the under-16 side, Kevin Cullis, sold Town and became manager of Swansea City, lasting just seven days, as there was uproar in South Wales as well as suspicions being raised as to the appointment.

 

The 1998-99 campaign saw chairman Trevor Thomas appoint himself as manager as Cradley finish as league runners up leading to promotion to the Midland Alliance, where they remained until 2010. The Lukes found the competition tough before finally returning to the West Midlands (Regional) League.

Several managers tried their hand in the hot seat upon their return to the league. In 2014 returning local boy and prolific Football League scorer Duane Darby returned to take over from Nigel Birch. Eighth place was as high as the team would finish during their spell in the competition.

 

In October 2019 Sean Geddes was appointed as player-manager, remaining in the post until August 2021. Chairman Thomas returned to the manager’s seat soon after the club had been laterally transferred to Division One the Midland League.

The manager duo of Aaron Morris and Andrew Thompson helped save their side from relegation in 2022-23, prior to a much improved seventh place was achieved in 2023-24.

Cradley Town FC will play in the Midlands League Division One in the 2024-25 season.

My visit

Monday 4th August 2014


It was a delightful summer’s evening and I was calling at my final venue before heading to the Pre Season Friendly between Halesowen Town and Hednesford Town. I’d had a great day calling in at Aston Villa, Walsall, Stourbridge and Lye Town as well as enjoying a few real ales along the way.

I alighted from the no.9 bus, pleased at the use I’d got from my £6.20 one day travelcard. It looked quite a walk on the map App on my iPhone to The Beeches and I was beginning to ache. Self stubbornness decreed that I went on.


Not for the first time I was caught out by the lack of contours on a map. I looked in the vague direction I was heading and saw an enormous hill. Surely the ground wasn’t up there? Tan House Hill stood between me and my destination. 

My lungs were certainly clear at the top! I dropped half way down the other side along Beeches View Avenue when I spotted the entrance up a lane. I couldn’t believe it. The gates were locked! I wasn’t going to give up that easily. 


A public footpath ran round the side of the ground so I went to adventure. There was a large gap in the wire netting forming the perimeter. I don’t normally like intruding, but it was my only option as I clambered over the terrain and under the wire.

Inside I found an interesting little ground. There didn’t seem to be any spectator access down that side of the pitch, and only dug outs and a rail fence. I wandered to the far end goal where a decent sized cover had tip up seats. 


The other touchline was built into the slope, with the primary school behind, and had a small seated stand down at the far side. The end behind the far goal contained all the clubs facilities as well as an area of covered standing.

I wandered back along the same pathway and past the gates to the grounds entrance. A dog was barking. Apologies to anyone reading this from the club reading this; I was not looking to cause any disturbance or damage. I just wanted to have a look and take some photos.


I walked back along Abbey Road towards the main Stourbridge Road to catch the no.9 to the match. Even though I could see the floodlights of The Grove in the distance, it was just too far to walk.






No comments: