Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Tuesday 12 May 2020

AFC Bentley

AFC Bentley is a non-league football club who are based in Bentley, which is a former mining village located two miles north of Doncaster in South Yorkshire. Football in the village has had a rich, complicated, and interesting history.

A club called Bentley Colliery was formed in 1912, going on to compete in the Yorkshire League before resigning their place in 1925, but then returning as members of Division Two of the competition for the 1949-50 season.

Promotion was secured in 1951-52, but the side went back down in 1955-56, prior to regaining their Division One status in 1956-57. The club left the Yorkshire League after finishing bottom of the table in 1960-61.

Bentley Victoria appear to have become the foremost club to represent the village, as they became members of Division Three of the Yorkshire League in 1973-74 before leaving the league, and possibly re-emerging as Sunday league side, Bentley Victoria Welfare in 1976. 

They entered the Yorkshire League and won the Division Three title in 1976-77, prior to winning promotion to Division One twelve months later. Relegation followed in 1978-79 before returning to the top tier of the competition in 1979-80.

Bentley became founder members of Northern Counties East League in 1982-83 before leaving the league at the completion of the 1986-87 campaign, quite possibly because of the closing down of the local mines around the same time. 

The club re-formed as Bentley Colliery and became members of the Doncaster & District Senior League, winning the title at the end of the 2000-01 season and winning promotion to the Central Midlands League where they were placed in the Premier Division.

Promotion to the Supreme Division followed in 2006-07. However, the club was demoted at the end of the 2007-08 season because the Welfare Ground didn’t have floodlights. The team ended the 2010-11 campaign as Premier League runners-up. 

They were then placed in the North Division following league re-organisation in 2011-12. In December 2015, Bentley resigned from the Central Midlands League, with the club folding shortly after.

In 2016 football was reintroduced as nearby Brodsworth Colliery, who can be read about here, had their own troubles and tribulations, and changed their name to AFC Bentley and entered the Central Midlands League North Division at the Welfare Ground.

They finished third in both 2016-17 and 2017-18, prior to a sixth place. This was followed by a couple of abandoned seasons owing to the worldwide pandemic, after which two midtable slots ensued.

The competition merged with Midlands Regional Alliance to form the Central Midlands Alliance for the 2023-24 season, with Bentley being placed in the Premier North Division.


AFC Bentley will play in the Central Midlands Alliance Premier North Division in the 2023-24 season.

My visit

Wednesday 10th October 2012

I was in South Yorkshire, enjoying a day of groundhopping before heading off to support my team Scarborough Athletic at Barton Town Old Boys that evening. The train from my previous club Mexborough Town had dispatched me in Doncaster, and I was soon on board a Bentley bound bus from Doncaster Interchange.


I was relieved as ever to find I'd got on the correct service. It dropped me right outside the locked gate to the Welfare Ground. This was of no problem as the ground was easily visible and I was able to take the photos I required.

It was a very basic venue if truth be told. There was one small covered stand for standing spectators on the half way line, with several huts alongside for offices and changing rooms. A railed fence surrounded the playing area. There were no floodlights.


A bus came along from the stop just up the road and took me back to Doncaster, so I could find the service heading to Dunscroft so I could call in on the home of Hatfield Main.







No comments: