Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad, Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see Volume Two of HAOTW, which covers everything non English.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Monday 16 July 2012

Westfield

Westfield FC is a non-league football club from the district of the same name in Woking, Surrey, located around twenty three miles south west of central London. The club were formed in 1953 as Westfield Boys Club playing local league football.

Around 1960 the club moved to play their home games at Woking Park in Kingfield, just a short stroll from the home of Woking FC. In 1964 'The Field' or 'The Yellas' as they are nicknamed met the ground requirements and joined the Surrey Senior League.


The club gained a reputation for being able to attract the best local youngsters to play for them.In 1978 the Surrey Senior League was disbanded and became part of the new Combined Counties League, with Westfield being founder members.

Floodlights were installed at Woking Park in 1998 as the club continued without any senior honours as former Woking player John Cassidy became manager at the turn of the millennium. 




Paul Donaghy replaced the departing Cassidy at the end of the 2003-04 campaign. At the end of the 2005-06 season Westfield were relegated to the league's First Division following conflict with some league officials owing to new ground grading regulations being implemented.

Westfield had intended to share with their neighbours over the road for two years while their own facilities were being upgraded, but this denied at a late stage. Former club player Martin Powell with the assistance of ex Tottenham star David Howells took over team affairs for 2007-08.



The pairing departed in the summer of 2008 after achieving a fourth place finish, with Steve Plunkett arriving as the new manager. He lasted just four months before former coach Dave Robson took over.

Craig Moore and John Comer were appointed as joint manager’s as the building of new facilities at the ground began during the 2010-11 season. However, the team putting in an inconsistent season.


In May 2011 the old pitch was dug up and raised, while the old clubhouse was demolished. A new building offering much improved facilities was put up in its place meaning that ground grading issues would be a thing of the past.

The new facilities obviously inspired the side as they won promotion to the Premier Division at the end of the 2012-13 season. Comer remained as sole manager for another season; which heralded a fourth place finish before being replaced by Martin Beard.


Midway through the 2014-15 season Dan Snare came in to take over from Beard; remaining in the position until Tony Read was appointed for the 2016-17 campaign. His debut campaign saw the team end as runners-up as well as lifting the League Cup.

In 2017-18 Westfield were crowned as champions of the Combined Counties League and won promotion to Division One South Central of the Isthmian League. The side went on to reach the play-offs where they were defeated in the semi-finals by Bracknell Town at the end of 2018-19.

Westfield FC will play in the Isthmian League Division One South Central in the 2019-20 season. 


My visits

Wednesday 20th June 2012

I was out and about on a very pleasant afternoon on my rest day from work. I had already visited a few grounds in the vicinity, and after a nice walk downhill from the town centre I'd just been inside the Kingfield home of Woking FC.

I really should have visited Westfield in the past. I mean I'd been to Woking a few times, but I always seemed otherwise detained! I had read on various forums about the new improved Woking Park ground and I'd seen some images as it was been developed. It looked very promising.



After checking the bus times back to the railway station I realised I had fifteen minutes to have a look. I crossed over the road and walked around the banking of the new flood defences and found myself right behind one of the goals at the ground. 

The perimeter fence was green painted hard messing, but it offered a free view inside. Surely some sheeting would be put over it when games were on, or were the Combined Counties League not as strict with ground grading compared to other leagues?


The near goal had narrow flat and open hard standing. The right hand touchline had grass banking, along with a strip of hard standing, with dug outs in front. The same pattern went round behind the far goal. The final side had a large two floored building along the full length of the pitch. This seemed to cater for many groups. 

I saw signs for the Woking Scouts. Further along was a balcony on the first floor looking out onto the pitch with club facilities inside. Below it was a section of seating for spectators. It was very impressive and offered great scope for further development if ever required.



I walked back over the road and took my bus back to Woking station for a drink and a sandwich before catching a fast train back to Waterloo.

I said at the time that I would not hesitate to revisit the ground for a match in the future having seen the facilities on offer.

Westfield 5 Ashford Town (Middlesex) 0 (Saturday 28th December 2018) Isthmian League Division One South Central (att: 119)




It was high time that I tried to get to a game at Westfield. I’d received a reminder as I walked past the venue on the way to the Woking v Wealdstone play-off game at the end of the previous season.

The venue was on my radar on a Tuesday a few weeks earlier, but the match against Tooting & Mitcham United had fallen foul of the weather. Night shift between Christmas and New Year fitted the bill perfectly, with the game not requiring any pitch inspection.


Despite the continuing strike action on South West Trains, a satisfactory service to take me to Woking was still in place. It was relatively quiet on the tube to Waterloo; where I had time to renew my Network railcard which saves me valuable cash each year.

After alighting I took the familiar walk downhill and through Woking Park; going left at the skate park and coming out behind the football ground. The recently built facilities had provisions for other groups including the local boxing club.


Entry was £8. I purchased a good quality programme for a quid as well as a go on the raffle for a further pound from the friendly gents on the gate. I headed upstairs to the clubhouse and viewing balcony to see what was on offer.

Not really fancying any alcohol, I opted for a tea and a cheeseburger which came to £3.50. The meat came in a tiger roll and was delicious. Just what the doctor ordered. Before I knew it, it was time for the arrival of the teams.


I’d Tweeted about the value of my experience and why I thought more and more people were being attracted to non-league football. It received many positive responses; and this was before the action had kicked off. I was not to be let down.

The pitch was certainly taking a stud and had signs of drainage coming through? I think it helped towards the entertainment. I’d seen a shocker on a 3G between Hendon and Harrow Borough on Boxing Day. I wanted to see some mud on the kits.


The endeavours of all the players meant I got that and more. Straight from the off Westfield played some fast attacking football, with Eli Simpson dragging a couple of decent opportunities wide of keeper Sam Mason’s post.

The hosts were very nearly made to pay for their profligacy after thirteen minutes when good work from Ashford’s flowing haired Warren Tom provided a ball for Dan Brown who cut inside and sent a curling shot past Gary Ross which cannoned back  off the angle of post and bar.


Brown went close again shortly after when a low cross came in but with a bit too much pace for the striker to control and get a shot away. The Yellas went back on the offensive and took the lead on seventeen minutes. Mason saved well from Simpson, but Max Blackmore was on hand to tap home the rebound.

The lead was doubled seven minutes later. Again, an exposed Mason made a stop but was powerless to prevent Simpson scoring. All too often the Tangerines defence was being exposed by intelligent passes and clever runs.


Within a minute Westfield and Simpson thought that it was 3-0 but the effort was ruled out for offside. I chuckled shortly after as the linesman’s flag stopped another break and was met with ironic cheers from the away support.

I’ve little doubt that some of the running must have been close to been offside, but the defence was creaking like a rusty gate. Perhaps there was a hint of disappointment in their own sides’ abilities from those offering feedback?


The visitors were giving it their best and contributing to a most entertaining half; though they were gradually being outmuscled in vital areas. Arsen Ujkaj was having a fine game in the Westfield midfield engine room.

Throughout I was keeping an eye on the small amount of games being played elsewhere as I’d put a four team accumulator together. Kingstonian and Watford were doing me well, but I could have done with a Hampton & Richmond goal.


After the restart the game followed a similar pattern. Westfield the more likely to score, but Ashford still giving it their all. The home side extended their lead on sixty two minutes when Simpson wasn’t picked up from a corner and planted his header into the net.

The winning raffle numbers were read out and I was one number away from the first prize. Aaron Watson made it 4-0 with ten minutes remaining before Mason made a top stop with his legs to prevent another going in.


However, he nor his defence could do anything from preventing the quick and tricky Watson turning his man inside out before finishing off the pick of the goals as the clock neared the ninety minute mark.

It had been a most accomplished performance from Westfield. Without wishing to put the kiss of death on them, I thought at the time that they’d take some stopping for the title on that form. Ashford were no fools but were eventually blown away.


My walk was repeated through the well lit park to the station where there was time for a warming cuppa before the train. I got home to see the final scores of the tea time game. Leicester had done the business on my coupon.

However, Hampton had been held to a 0-0 draw by Bath City. So close to £125 profit but so far. No problem. I’d had a cracking afternoon of football, refreshment, fresh air and exercise. There was even time for a siesta before work. Long live non-league football.







No comments: