Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Wednesday 1 June 2011

Formby


Formby FC was a non-league football club, based a few miles north of Liverpool. The club was formed in 1919 as Formby United FC playing on a ground between Philips Lane and Ravenmeols Lane, eventually folding in 2014.

The club dropped United from its name a year after formation and moved to a new ground at Brows Lane with the team competing in local leagues and cup competitions for many years. In 1969 'The Squirrels' joined the Lancashire Combination before moving to the Cheshire County League in 1972.

In 1972-73 the team reached the first round proper of the FA Cup, losing 2-0 to Oldham Athletic at Brows Lane. In 1977-78 Formby became the first non-league club to lift the Liverpool Senior Cup.

Formby joined the North West Counties League as founder members for the 1982-83 season with the side being relegated to Division Two of the competition in 1985-86. Promotion was won at the first attempt in 1986-87.

However, the side dropped back down in 1988-89, remaining in Division Two for the following thirteen seasons. In 2002 the club moved to a new ground at Altcar Road. This was not up to the requirements of the NWCFL, so Formby had to drop down to the Liverpool County Combination for a season before being readmitted into the competition.

The team were promoted in 2003-04 and despite a large turnover of managers and one or two struggles they maintained their status before the top level was retitled the Premier Division. Formby dropped down to Division One in 2010-11.

The club had an injection of new personnel in the summer of 2011 with Hugh McAuley, whose father Hughie was a former Formby player taking over as the new owner. Jim Shirley was appointed as manager.

The Squirrels romped to the Division One title in 2012-13 as Jason Carey scored 49 goals. The team also reached the NWC League Cup final, losing out to Runcorn Linnets. However, disappointment was to follow.

Altcar Road ground was deemed unsatisfactory for promotion. The club shared Victoria Park as tenants to Burscough FC, winning promotion as Division One runners-up in 2013-14. Shirley resigned owing to family reasons shortly after.

Without a suitable ground and the ability to develop their junior sides, Formby FC announced their disbanding on June 2nd 2014.


My visit

Sunday 17th October 2010

I was on Merseyside for a few days sightseeing and groundhopping. I had originally planned to go to Formby early on the Sunday morning but the distance of the ground from the station and the lack of buses deterred me.


I went on to Southport and Burscough before realising I could fit in a call to Altcar Road. A bus was due as I alighted from the train so I hopped on board. Unfortunately I lost my bearings and got off far too early. I could have gone another mile nearer the ground!

Not to worry. It was a nice enough morning and I had my digital radio to keep me entertained. The ground really was quite a distance, over the Formby by pass and near some light industry behind a Tesco superstore.


The good news was that the ground was open as it was the base for several junior teams. Many youngsters were around in their kits with parents filling the car park. The grounds refreshment hut was open to serve the hungry hordes.

It was no thing of beauty in truth but it was obviously adequate for their league and fully functional. As I entered through the gate the main covered seated stand was unusually directly to my left filling in up to goal, maybe as a reminder of the lay out of their old Brows Lane home? The far end had the only other cover, this time for standing spectators. 


The rest of the ground was a combination of flat open standing, consisting of concrete and grass. A large hedge formed the perimeter on the far touchline, with a plethora of buildings for offices, a tea bar, changing rooms, a camera point and clubhouse were down the opposite touchline. All buildings were painted dark green so as to fit in with its rural surroundings.

I left and set off on the long walk back to Formby station. There were no buses due on the sporadic Sunday timetable but I got a move on so I could catch a train and try once again to get at Marine FC.









No comments: