Welcome to my blog covering clubs and stadiums in the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games wherever I could.

I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad, Bob Bernard, and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife, Taew.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Rob Bernard Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Tuesday 31 May 2011

Marine



Marine FC are a non league club based in Crosby in Merseyside, a few miles north of Liverpool, who were formed in 1894. The club were formed following a meeting between former students and local businessmen at the Marine Hotel in Waterloo on the waterfront of the River Mersey.













Marine moved to Rossett Park in 1903 from Waterloo Park and they quickly made an impression in local football circles. In 1932 'The Lillywhites' (The Mariners being the clubs' other nickname) reached the final of the FA Amateur Cup, only to go down 7-1 to Dulwich Hamlet at the home of West Ham United in front of 22,000 fans.

The Mariners joined the otherwise all professional Lancashire Combination in 1935 as an amateur club. They had limited success before moving to the Cheshire County League in 1969. The legendary figure of local window cleaner Roly Howard was appointed as manager in 1972. Howard went on to appear in the Guinness Book of Records as he amassed an amazing 1,975 games over thirty three years as the club won thirty assorted trophies.

The club turned semi professional in 1974 and they progressed into the Northern Premier League in 1979. They lifted the league title in 1994 and 1995. In 1993 they reached the third round of the FA Cup before Crewe Alexandra ended the run with a 3-1 win. Wembley was nearly reached on a couple of occasions, but Marine went out in the semi finals of the FA Trophy in 1984 and 1992.











Marine have remained in the top flight of the Northern Premier League with the promotion play offs being reached on a few occasions.

Marine FC will compete in the Northern Premier League Premier Division in the 2012-13 season.












My visit

Marine Youth Team 3 Nantwich Town Youth Team 2 (Sunday 17th October 2011) North West Youth Alliance (att: approx 30)

I was staying in nearby Waterloo for a few days to do some sightseeing and groundhopping. I awoke on a pleasant Sunday morning and decided to make the Arriva Stadium, or Rossett Park before sponsorship, my first call of the day.

After a brisk ten minutes walk from my excellent bed and breakfast lodgings I was stood outside a locked stadium. It looked extremely secure and I abandoned all plans of entering and put it off until the following day, when I hoped some club staff may have been about, or so I thought....











I had travelled on the Merseyrail up to Southport and then Burscough. My plans were flexible so I returned to have a look at Formby. My idea was to try again at Marine and then watch some of the Everton v Liverpool derby match in a hostelry.

I returned to find the gates open and a match in progress. I knew Everton Ladies used the ground for their home games but that they charged admission so I ruled them out. I had a chat with a couple of friendly stewards who told me of the game in progress and welcomed me to wander around and take photos.

The ground was oozing with character and was extremely hemmed in, but neat and tidy. The College Road end had all the changing room and office facilities along with the clubhouse. The only seated stand was behind this goal along with some neat terracing. To the right hand side there was a low full length cover over a narrow terrace. The other side of the pitch had only the dug outs and no spectator accommodation. The far Crossender Road End had neat open terracing.














The match was keenly contested and play flowed from end to end at great speed. I resisted staying too long and instead I went into the clubhouse where a packed audience were fairly quiet while being glued to the big match on TV.

I had a pint before deciding to try the more animated atmosphere of the wonderful old fashioned pub, The Edinburgh. There was hardly any room but the service was quick and the atmosphere superb.

I left after the game to head off for a brief siesta before enjoying the evenings activities. Liverpool city centre was like New Years Eve!

No comments: